Tomas Plekanec : Unsung Hero

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Love Tommy P always have.

The consummate pro.

Awesome that Manny has come along to share the load.

Long live Turtleplex!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought it was time to give props to the most underrated player on the team :handclap:
Over the past few years he's done well in the checking role. Given all the hardest assignments and teamed with two guys who couldn't hit the net. He really is the unsung hero of this team. And he's also one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Nynja*

Better than Bergeron

I wouldnt say that. Even if he's a Bruin, I dont think there are many hab fans who dont respect the way he plays the game and the skill he has. Its a damn shame he's proud to wear that jersey :(

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Over the past few years he's done well in the checking role. Given all the hardest assignments and teamed with two guys who couldn't hit the net. He really is the unsung hero of this team. And he's also one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Year in year out Plecky demonstrates what being a true Pro is all about.
He is our second smartest player behind Marky and would be a super beast if he had an Eller frame.
My only complaint with Thomas is he can hide himself in the weeds on occasion (done purposely) I think. He goes into a bit of a shell turtle neck and all when he's off his game. Unfortunately he hasn't had linemates who could pick up the slack when he's down until now (Chucky). I'm glad he should be around to hoist the cup!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Tomas Plekanec was drafted 71st overall in 2001.

He is 7th in NHL games played, 6th in goals scored, and 9th in points ... but I'd take him ovet Pominville, Roy, Cammalleri, and Hemsky in a redraft.

So he's like the ~5th best player of his draft year, awesome.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Tomas Plekanec was drafted 71st overall in 2001.

He is 7th in NHL games played, 6th in goals scored, and 9th in points ... but I'd take him ovet Pominville, Roy, Cammalleri, and Hemsky in a redraft.

So he's like the ~5th best player of his draft year, awesome.

I think that's a pretty good way to break it down for perspective.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
From the top 10 in scoring from the 2001, I take plek over Cammy, Derek Roy, and Hemsky for sure. Then there's Kovalchuk who's among the best players in the world, but knowing he was bouncing to the K, I don't think he would've been much help to the Habs of the mid '00s, and the now that we're good, he's out of the league. So out of the players still in the league, he's top 5ish. (I like Mikko Koivu, but idk if he's better?).

Not that this matters because most of these guys were drafted ahead of Plek, aside from Sharp. He's definitely a good one. Very underrated.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I think among habs fans, he's a pretty "sung" hero. We pretty much all know how good he is, both on offence and especially on defence.

I'd say he's an unsung great player throughout the rest of the league. People claim he's really, really not as good as Bergeron and stuff, but I think they're pretty much alike. He's one of the smartest players.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Even though I've read a lot of "well WE value him more than anyone else", while that's true, he's STILL on average underrated, or at least, I don't see him getting the adulation that dare I say Saku got. (Perhaps understandable, but not necessarily defensible.)

Different players and it's really hard to compare the types of passion, but seriously, the guy has year in and year out since being drafted been pure awesome. (Maybe one slow year, but recognized it and got better.)

Love him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Admittedly, I wasn't his biggest fan from 2007-2010. I even made a few threads bashing him back in the day. But, I have come to greatly appreciate his play. I never noticed all the little things he does right until much later. In hindsight, I was a fool to have bashed him and to not realize how solid of a player he was. In fact, I still think he's underrated. I know because I used to heavily underrate him.

Joey

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
So, I looked for a few thread titles, and this has to be the one that spoke to me for Plekanec

I am a bit partial I will agree as I followed Pleks as soon as he came to Hamilton, but man, this is a DAMN good player and the Habs would be a MUCH weaker team without him.

I went to about 25 games the year of the lockout. I always thought Higgins would turn out way more valuable than Plekanec. The Higgins-Plekanec-Miettinen line was amazing. Also thought Dan Jancevski was better than Trevor Daley lol

And like 99.9999% of the attending fans, Yann Danis was a future NHL starter, and Dan Ellis was an AHL backup at best.

Good old days

habitue*

He is one of the best #2 center in the whole NHL. As long as you are not playing him over 18 minutes a night for the whole season. Then, he is running out of gas in the playoffs, as he has shown many times.

The better Eller and Malhotra will be, the less defensive duties Plekky gonna have to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad