Confirmed with Link: Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) + Kyle Baun to Maple Leafs for 2018 2nd Rd Pick, Rychel, Valiev

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Damn... it's going to be weird to see Plekanec with the Leafs.

I won't be able to cheer for him :(

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Decent trade. Rychel is a non-prospect at this point. Valiev meh. 2nd for Pleks and a long-shot basically.

But many of us said all along he'd fetch at least that. So under-rated.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao what is wrong with this trade? Merely because you don’t like Bergevin?
I expect this bloody idiot to win trades in a bloody landslide if he wants to keep his job....Hanzal got a first ........so that is what is f******g wrong......2 minor league players and a second not good enough and he better get at least 5 pieces for Pacioretty.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I like it. Gonna be weird seeing Plekanec in a Toronto jersey, though, but I assume he'll be back on July 1.

Also nice to hear Bergevin actually showed some respect to the guy unlike what he did to Markov in the summer when putting together this trade.

4 2018 2nd-round-picks. I wonder if we can eventually package two of them to get another 1st-round-pick in this draft or in next year's draft -- or if we add one or two of them to a Pacioretty package it can be the difference between getting a guy like Vilardi, Thomas or Kyrou.

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
MB used the Cap space to max the return. Good job. Four 2nds now and a couple of B prospects. Good.

Between the 4 2nds and a top 10 pick odds favour us to get at least 1 top 6 player or top 3 D out of this draft. Have a shot at 2 top players.

All the best Pleks. Thank you for your consistently good play over the years along with a no drama professional attitude. Loved you here Gangsta.

Jul 6, 2016
That second round pick will be like between pick 50 and 57.

Rychel is NOT a NHL player

Glad for Plekky who will have a chance to go to the Playoffs. And BIG THANKS to him for his years in Montreal.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Valiev is only 22. I would think he still has a shot of becoming, at the very least, a depth NHL defencemen. Time has probably run out on Rychel having any kind of meaningful impact at the NHL level though. Still, I'd probably stick him on the NHL roster for the rest of the season and see if something clicks.

And despite this, an absolutely great return. Especially given that the leafs could be out in the first round.

It is a great return, to be sure. The 2nd round pick is what I was expecting and I’m real happy we got that, and hey you never know the other two could pan out in some capacity.

Even if Rychel/Valiev becomes depth guys, it’s a huge win for an expiring contract.

Reactions: Runner77 and dralaf

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Basically Plekanec for a 2nd and 2 contracts so that Leafs don't reach the 50 limit

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Good deal.

Rychel is the perfect Timmins player in that he's an AHLer who might develop into an NHL quality grinder. Valiev is Russian so I assume Bergevin will give him away for free as soon as possible.

The 2nd alone makes this a good deal though. I can't really hate this Leafs team even if I don't consider them real contenders.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Valiev could still turn into an nhl dman!

imo both Valiev and Rychel projects as depth player at best. But this is fine cause this is on top of the expected 2nd round pick. Also who knows Rychel and Valiev could eventually one day make Shaw and Benn/Schlemko expendable in the mind of MB which would be a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad