Confirmed with Link: Tomas Kubalik to Winnipeg for Spencer Machecek

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Haven't come away impressed. He is a good AHL forward, someone Springfield will probably love. And according to WNP fans he's a hard worker and fits the new Blue Jackets way. I just liked Kubalik's potential.

I really liked Kubalik's potential three years ago. Now? Not so much.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Reports were that Machacek came into Jets training camp this season with the attitude "I'm already on this team", and it cost him an opening day spot. Since then, he's kind of sulked around in the AHL.

I think he'll pick it up for you guys as I think the Jets had given up on him, and he'll get a good chance to compete for the team.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
This organization had a downright pitiful history developing Europeans in the past 12 years. Kubalik was not going to be making a sustained impact at the NHL Level in this organization. The initial thought from me isn't a "Win" or a "Loss", because, I don't know what to expect at the NHL level for this move. Looks good for Springfield, though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Told Tomas Kubalik requested a trade about a month ago. New #CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen granted his wish, and quickly.

Well then **** you Kubalik.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Told Tomas Kubalik requested a trade about a month ago. New #CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen granted his wish, and quickly.

Well then **** you Kubalik.

Ballsy of Kubalik. He could have returned to Europe I guess, but man, for a guy that accomplished nothing and wasn't a high draft pick, it takes some guts to do that, especially with a new GM.

Guess its for the best, Jarmo's first goal should be figuring out who's "dug in" for the battle in the years ahead around here.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
As someone who has seen him play both last season and this one, I loved his game last season, he played just as Holden said above. He has been invisible this season. I think it really reflects poorly on his professionalism that he folds his tent just because there was a lockout.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Because I watched him play every NHL game Kubalik's ever played, and his play from September-January during the NHL lockout, he has 3rd liner written all over him. I'd prefer not losing a potential player for us than a player only Springfield will use. Not sure why you think I think he's so good, I said 3rd liner.

CBJ doesn't need any more 3rd liners. we have a team full of 2nd and 3rd liners. this was a move to help the falcons advance and help other valuable players on that team potentially make it farther in the playoffs and gain valuable experience.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
CBJ doesn't need any more 3rd liners. we have a team full of 2nd and 3rd liners. this was a move to help the falcons advance and help other valuable players on that team potentially make it farther in the playoffs and gain valuable experience.
Also looking into next season, we have Jenner in the mix as well and I assume he would be on the 3rd line.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The value Kubalik had was being a big skilled forward who was potentially able to play on the 2nd line and PP, and compliment smaller less physical players while still being a skilled passer and goal scorer.

While the Jackets have guys who can plant themselves in front of the crease, odds are if they do get the puck it goes some place other than the back of the net or they miss the opportunity altogether. Kubalik had the knack for actually being able to score, which still is sorely missed.

But he's regressed and if whatever's the issue, he's not going to live up to his potential in the Jackets' organization, then it's time to trade him.

If he's disgruntled, then maybe Jarmo did the best he could, but the Jackets need skill, not more grinders.

I do wonder if Machacek is going to be happy with the trade, especially if he feels he's NHL ready and there may not be the opportunities in Columbus since there's so many other players ahead of him. Maybe he gets the call-up before Sean Collins, but he's likely stuck in Springfield.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder if any other boards go this nutso over a trade of minor leaguers who aren't exactly sure shots or even good shots to ever make the NHL. A big who cares for me.

Edit: Apparently at least Winnipeg-they have 70 posts about this trade. :amazed:

Last edited:

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
haha Kubalik requested a trade, that's outstanding

must have wanted to go somewhere that would reward him with NHL time for being wholly unproductive

Hockeygirl2748

This is not to start a fight, just stating my opinions.

Lots of dislike for Kubalik from people that probably have not seen a Falcons game all season. Kubalik played well this season, he improved his physical game and has been camping in the crease, leading to goals. I do not understand how fans can judge players that they do not see play, either live or through the AHL live feed. A radio broadcast does not show how a player plays.

Hate the guy if you want to for asking for a trade, it happens much more than fans know. Kubalik has continued to play hard throughout the past month, which is what should be done. He has moved on to another organization, I wish him all the best and continued success. I hope Machacek can score and get the Falcons in the win column after the lost weekend here.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Ha ha ha ha. What a joke.

Holden makes that statement from WPG, based on some play late last season. He has done more loafing than a bakery this season, and this is from the perspective of 12 rows above ice level.

Most Caps fans are shocked that the Jets got anything for him at all.

I seriously doubt you get the 2011-2012 Mahachek. Even if you do, I am not sure that would improve the Falcons much, let alone the Blue Jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad