Confirmed with Link: Tomas Kubalik to Winnipeg for Spencer Machecek

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer

#CBJ announce they've acquired Spencer Machacek from Winnipeg in exchange for Tomas Kubalik. Machacek will report to @TheFalconsAHL.

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL

TRADE: #CBJ acquire RW Spencer Machacek from the @NHLJets in exchange for Tomas Kubalik -- http://*******/WWlWbJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer

This is a big add for Brad Larsen's team in its playoff push. Machacek has picked up 93-132-225 in 341 career AHL games...will help. #CBJ

What the ****?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Machacek is a former linemate of Gilbert Brule with Don Hay's Vancouver Giants. Bigger kid, good hands down low, plays a physical game. Should be a solid add for Springfield ... Kubalik probably needed a change of scenery at this point.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Blue Jackets acquire RW Spencer Machacek from Winnipeg Jets for RW Tomas Kubalik

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=659426

COLUMBUS, OHIO --- The Columbus Blue Jackets today announced that the club has acquired forward Spencer Machacek from the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for forward Tomas Kubalik. Machacek will report to the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League.

Machacek, 24, was selected by the Winnipeg franchise in the third round, 67th overall, of the 2008 NHL Draft. The 6-1, 195-pound right winger has recorded 2-7-9 in 25 career NHL games with the Thrashers/Jets and 93-132-225 in 341 career AHL games, including 11-14-25 in 57 appearances with the St. John’s IceCaps this season. A native of Lethbridge, Alberta, Machacek won a Memorial Cup championship with the Vancouver Giants in 2007 and registered 77-91-168 in 203 career Western Hockey League games prior to signing his first professional contract with Atlanta on March 27, 2008.

Columbus’ sixth pick, 135th overall, at the 2008 NHL Draft, Kubalik has tallied 1-3-4 in 12 career appearances with the Blue Jackets. The 6-3, 215-pound right winger has skated in 190 career AHL contests, recording 49-47-96. A native of Plzen, Czech Republic, Kubalik has scored 14 goals and dished out six assists for 20 points in 54 appearances with the Springfield Falcons this season.

EDIT: Sorry for duplicate

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I liked Kubalik, but he'd clearly been passed up on the depth chat. Wish him well in Winnipeg.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
How is that?

Because he doesn't share your opinion about the potential of a particular prospect? Or because it is a deal only of minor-leaguers?

I also had hopes for Kubo but I would describe my reaction to this as "meh."

Because Kubalik had 3rd line forward written all over him. He could have been our Holmstrom. We sold him off for a career AHLer. Bleh.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Because Kubalik had 3rd line forward written all over him. He could have been our Holmstrom. We sold him off for a career AHLer. Bleh.

Can you tell me how Kubalik is a 3rd line forward in the NHL, but Machacek is a career AHL'er? Have you ever even seen Machacek play?

Machacek averages more PPG in the AHL (.66 to .51) and NHL (.36 to .33).

I honestly have no clue why you think Kubalik is so good.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Looks like Kubalik has done nothing but regressed. I wish him well, really don't think we have much to worry about people.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Reading up on Machecek, sounds like a swap of 2 tweeners who had been buried within their previous organizations.

Maybe both will have better luck with a new team.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Can you tell me how Kubalik is a 3rd line forward in the NHL, but Machacek is a career AHL'er? Have you ever even seen Machacek play? I honestly have no clue why you think Kubalik is so good.

Because I watched him play every NHL game Kubalik's ever played, and his play from September-January during the NHL lockout, he has 3rd liner written all over him. I'd prefer not losing a potential player for us than a player only Springfield will use. Not sure why you think I think he's so good, I said 3rd liner.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Because I watched him play every NHL game Kubalik's ever played, and his play from September-January during the NHL lockout, he has 3rd liner written all over him. I'd prefer not losing a potential player for us than a player only Springfield will use. Not sure why you think I think he's so good, I said 3rd liner.

I don't think he is that good. Also, how many times have you seen Machacek play?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
At least we now have our answer to who we will trade with.... It's the other conference so we aren't trading within division or even conference yet. :) (and this applies to next season too)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Do you guys have any empty roster spots? Machacek has done his time in AHL, has earned an NHL chance.

He has great offensive sense, works really hard, never quits on the play, grinds it out, sticks up for teammates, decent vision, just average defensively, not a great skater. He can be a real solid 3rd line player, just needs a chance.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Do you guys have any empty roster spots? Machacek has done his time in AHL, has earned an NHL chance.

He has great offensive sense, works really hard, never quits on the play, grinds it out, sticks up for teammates, decent vision, just average defensively, not a great skater. He can be a real solid 3rd line player, just needs a chance.

Might become the 2nd call up on forwards behind Drazenovic.. Might.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reading up on Machecek, sounds like a swap of 2 tweeners who had been buried within their previous organizations.

Maybe both will have better luck with a new team.

That's the impression I'm getting too. The forecaster.ca scouting report does at least suggest that Machacek is a good cultural fit.

Also, he seems potentially more NHL-ready than Kubalik right now. Kubalik wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire anymore... :(

Kind of "meh" here. Not great, not bad.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Okay. How do you know he is a career AHL'er then?

Haven't come away impressed. He is a good AHL forward, someone Springfield will probably love. And according to WNP fans he's a hard worker and fits the new Blue Jackets way. I just liked Kubalik's potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad