Tomas Kana To Stay In Czech for a Girl

Old Hickory

This post is brutal.

For one, your 'it ain't love, its lust' comment is pure fiction. Who are you to say that?

This doesn't show any character flaws. Its not like the OHL is gonna vault him into the NHL. There is absolutely no harm in him staying and playing against men in the Czech league. It might even be better for his developement. When he's ready to come over, he will. Simple as that. It doesn't hurt his future at all IMO.

concur with this post

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If I was in his shoes, I'd do the same thing.

I mean, look at the two options:
1) Stay with your friends and family and the girl you obviously love, play at a high level and continue your hockey development.
2) Leave your family, friends and girl to come to a new culture where you don't speak the language very well to play at the same level of hockey.

North America isn't the only place where you can make a living and be happy. Some people on this forum need to realize that.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
For one, your 'it ain't love, its lust' comment is pure fiction. Who are you to say that?

It's called age and experience. Every teenager thinks they're madly in love, not the superficial kind like their friends have, oh no, their's is True Love. :shakehead

Even did it myself decades ago. Married the chick, a year later I'm saying wt? was I thinking and doing this: :banghead:

This doesn't show any character flaws.

Of course it does. He's broken promises *and* gone behind the back of his agent. He screwed two parties in the process.

A normal, reasonable person would talk to his agent and say "You know, I'm not sure I want to go to the CHL now, let's talk to Owen Sound and find a team here to play with."

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's called age and experience. Every teenager thinks they're madly in love, not the superficial kind like their friends have, oh no, their's is True Love. :shakehead

Even did it myself decades ago. Married the chick, a year later I'm saying wt? was I thinking and doing this: :banghead:

Of course it does. He's broken promises *and* gone behind the back of his agent. He screwed two parties in the process.

A normal, reasonable person would talk to his agent and say "You know, I'm not sure I want to go to the CHL now, let's talk to Owen Sound and find a team here to play with."

Could be he thought is agent was as 'understanding' as you and some others in this thread...

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
It ain't love, it's lust. And there are girls over on this side of the Atlantic.

This shows real character flaws to me. Reneging on agreements, placing things before hockey. It won't surprise me one bit if he never plays in the NHL.

And I just drafted this joker in my league. :banghead:

And because you know him so well you are in a great position to assasinate his charachter, know that its lust and judge the situation as if it was your girlfriend he stole.... I love expert commentary such as this.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

."

Well that certainly explains your bitterness, however it doesnt change the fact that your "age and experience" theory doesnt apply to every single human on the planet. Your situation applies to YOUR situation and has no bearing on Kana's.

To pretend that you know his thinking, his motives, his feelings, his future and his relationship just because yours failed is entirely ridiculous, speculative, wrong and shows just as much of a character flaw as you claim he has.

I'm sorry bro, but you still know nothing of his situation despite your age and vast experience.

Fido22

Jun 22, 2006
Is that Peter Svoboda (the agent), the ex-hab? Didn't know he had become an agent (if it is him).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's 18. This girl will likely be out of the picture this time next year, and will he be any worse off for staying home? Probably not. Plenty of guys stay in Europe. He should have told his agent about his change of heart, and together they could have taken the necassary steps to save face. Unfortunately he does not look good on this. However, if he has a great year, and looks really good for his Czech team, this whole thing will be quickley forgotten. This is really not a big deal. If he's good enough, he'll have a job waiting. If he's not, than coming over would have been a waste of time, anyway.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
If I was in his shoes, I'd do the same thing.

I mean, look at the two options:
1) Stay with your friends and family and the girl you obviously love, play at a high level and continue your hockey development.
2) Leave your family, friends and girl to come to a new culture where you don't speak the language very well to play at the same level of hockey.

North America isn't the only place where you can make a living and be happy. Some people on this forum need to realize that.

:yo: :clap: :bow:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
To pretend that you know his thinking, his motives, his feelings, his future and his relationship just because yours failed is entirely ridiculous, speculative, wrong and shows just as much of a character flaw as you claim he has.

I'm sorry bro, but you still know nothing of his situation despite your age and vast experience.

Dude. It's right in the freakin' story. "Young love burns Attack". "A young lady involved". It's called reading comprehension, not speculation. We know exactly what he did, and why.

But fine, feel free to bring this thread up in ten years and say "neener neener told ya so" if he's still with this girl and has a successful NHL career.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Dude. It's right in the freakin' story. "Young love burns Attack". "A young lady involved". It's called reading comprehension, not speculation. We know exactly what he did, and why.

But fine, feel free to bring this thread up in ten years and say "neener neener told ya so" if he's still with this girl and has a successful NHL career.

Personally, the only issue I have with him is the fact he alledgedly broke verbal (or contractual even) commitments with Owen Sound and his agent. That seems to be his wrongdoing.

To state to do so for a girl is wrong however isn't anything for you to judge. You, and everyone else in thsi thread know nothing of his relationship with the woman, whether it's been ongoing for years or he met her last week at a strip bar. For all you know it could be the modern day Romeo and Juliet. So don't judge his relationship. To do so makes you equal to the tabloids.

Also, for the record, I'd like to add I met my wife at 19. So it's not unrealistic this lady he's changed his mind for isn't someone he could have a healthy, life long relationship with.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
what's the big deal.....your seeing NA kids (both Johnson kids) going to college for the "experience". What "experience" do you think they are going for ???

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
Young love burns Attack; Highly touted import decides to stay in Czech Republic

BILL WALKER
Sports - Tuesday, August 29, 2006 @ 08:00

The allure of a young woman has got the Owen Sound Attack, the St. Louis Blues, and even a National Hockey League agent feeling a little like jilted lovers as centre Tomas Kana has opted to stay in the Czech Republic this season.

With a storyline that Owen Sound general manager Mike Futa says seems like it's from teen television series The O.C., the 18-year-old Opava native has reneged on plans to play in the Blues rookie training camp and then join the Ontario Hockey League's Attack this season.

The decision even took his agent Petr Svoboda by surprise.

"It's been very, very disappointing," Futa said Monday.

There's lots of women, but only 1 NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad