Tomas Kana To Stay In Czech for a Girl

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
...and in the real world, miles away from message board bravado, this is what drives life decisions. There are plenty of worse reasons for the choices that people make, that's for sure. If the guy's happy, more power to him. He doesn't have to play in the NHL to make a living at the game, and not everyone views any and all other avenues as a failure.

espo*

Only way to learn is by making mistakes.He'll regret this decision but will learn from it and being a talented hockey player with a possible pro future ahead of him gives him a bigger cusshion then most when the whip comes down,which it will.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
You must be in love/whipped to turn down millions for a girl.
:huh: He's going to be getting millions to play in Owen Sound?

At #31 overall, I suspect at best he'd be getting $2 million over 3 years for his entry-level contract ... if he played in the NHL the entire time. He wouldn't - he'd get more like $45K the first year in the AHL, $50K the 2nd year in the AHL plus maybe a small piece of his NHL contract, and then in the 3rd year some (probably not all just yet) of his NHL contract. Adding in the signing bonus he'd get, he might realize $1 million at best off his ELC ... and it'll still be there in May 2008. It's not like he's gaining or losing money by not making the jump to NA now.

And before anyone starts comparing this to Schwarz ... Marek went back over b/c of his girlfriend and was told by Sparta Praha that he was going to be the #1 goalie. He got there, and was then told that he would be the backup no matter what. (Schwarz signed a contract with the Blues on June 1.)

This isn't the worst news possible, but it's apparently something the Blues are going to have to do more research on in the future if they want to avoid situations like this.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
If I have be him , I'll do the same ... The love is more important than hockey .

It ain't love, it's lust. And there are girls over on this side of the Atlantic.

This shows real character flaws to me. Reneging on agreements, placing things before hockey. It won't surprise me one bit if he never plays in the NHL.

And I just drafted this joker in my league. :banghead:

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
After much recent evidence, I have become convinced that if anything ever kills hockey and/or the NHL, it will be the wives and girlfriends of the players :D

Chief_10

May 8, 2004
It ain't love, it's lust. And there are girls over on this side of the Atlantic.

This shows real character flaws to me. Reneging on agreements, placing things before hockey. It won't surprise me one bit if he never plays in the NHL.

And I just drafted this joker in my league. :banghead:

This post is brutal.

For one, your 'it ain't love, its lust' comment is pure fiction. Who are you to say that?

This doesn't show any character flaws. Its not like the OHL is gonna vault him into the NHL. There is absolutely no harm in him staying and playing against men in the Czech league. It might even be better for his developement. When he's ready to come over, he will. Simple as that. It doesn't hurt his future at all IMO.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
[hindsight] At the time of the draft, I was glad he wasn't drafted by the Wings. I had nothing personal against him. But his name bugged me, it would have been rather confusing to talk about him. [/hindsight]

'kana' = 'chicken' in Finnish...

Millions Livio

Nov 3, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Leave the guy alone, I respect his choice and he still has plenty of time to come over. Hopefully if things work out with them he can bring her over with him, would probabaly make him play better if he's happier anyway.

This whole "She better be hot" ******** is just that, ********. Love isn't lust people, there's alot more to woman then just being "hot". And this is coming from a man.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
IMO it is a win-win for him. I`d rather play in a mens league (which is in my home country) and stay with my girlfriend. It`s a good choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad