Confirmed with Link: Tomas Kaberle retires

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Will always have a soft spot for Kaberle.

There was a picture of him the other day out with his family and his kid was wearing a Leafs jersey.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
A great underrated player and good team guy, I hope he returns as part of the Leafs Alumni and maybe play in some Leafs Alumni hockey games.

Happy retirement Kabs!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
They complemented each other so well. McCabe obviously had the big slapper at a time when it was easier to get it off from the point but Kaberle had this ability to put the puck on a platter like no one else could. We were lucky to have both. Personally, though, I give the edge to Kabs as to who was the better player.

He was not in the Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Pronger tier (who are generational talents... hard to believe how lucky we were to watch those three in the game at one time), but he was certainly in the one directly below it. Easily a top 5 offensive defenseman at his peak while being reliable on the defensive end (although his struggles in that regard near the end of his career tends to overshadow that). Crunching some numbers... he was tied for third in points between 2005-2007, trailing only Lidstrom and Niedermayer and alone in 3rd between 2005-2008, trailing only Lidstrom and Gonchar. It's too bad that meathead Jansen hit him with that disgusting blindside. A decade later and it's hard not to get a little bitter thinking about it. He was never the same after that. He still had a decent '07-08 year but was noticeably more hesitant in his decision-making than he was prior to the hit.

It's sad the way we chased him out of town in a reckless push to 'rebuild,' when management (as we now know) had no interest in going that route. At least, unlike Sundin, he ended up winning a Cup out of it, which was good to see. He was an underrated part of that team, I thought.

Anyways, one of my favourite players to suit up with the Blue and White. Wish him nothing but the best in retirement. Hope he can find some role in the organization at some point, either in management or through the alumni organization.

Agreed. Despite McCabe's consistent string of mental gaffes, both him and McCabe were sweet, sweet magic on the PP. I dare say arguably the best D PP unit in the East from 2000-2004.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
He was underrated while he was here. Ride off into the sunset there Kabby.

KABERLE.jpg

I love this picture but don't get it. What is happening here?

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
Tomas was one of my favs. His composure with the puck was truly amazing - we didn't realize, until he was gone, the effect he had on transition up the ice. I remember more than a handful of long lead passes that the cameraman couldn't keep up to.

Glad he won the cup. He was underrated back there; a quiet type that could fit into any lineup in his prime, do his thing, and not look out of place. His main knock was that he was too passive to take the lead himself - somewhat blame McCabe for being too much of a triggerman that Kabby got too comfortable with the pass first.

This has to clearly be Kaberle's strongest area. With that composure he was able to turn up ice and make use of as many options as almost any dman has ever. There was a sheer poetry to his game.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
My 2nd favourite Leaf of all time (behind only Potvin). Was crushed when he got traded, but I was super happy that he got to lift the cup.

Here's to you, Tomas! Glad he'll be coming back to Toronto!

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
My favourite Leaf for some years, it was a pleasure to watch him from the beginning.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I remember those power plays like it was yesterday.....
some of my favourite leafs memories (yes, I'm rather young) are from those early - mid 2000 games,
those series against ottawa were awesome

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The Leafs should have a retirement party for ol Kabs. All night long they'll be pouring some drinks to try to make him let loose and take a few shots, but I bet he'll pass.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Excellent player, easily one of our greatest ever defensemen and one of the few success stories of Leafs drafting and development.
Now all is said and done i feel bad for how the "muskoka 5" were treated near the end, Some great leafs got treated like dirt by the media and fans basically for loving this team.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There should be some kind of ceremony for him at the ACC. One of the all time great leafs. I watched his entire career. One of the best passers in the game. I remember watching live when he won the accuracy shooting at the all star skills comp.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
A great underrated player and good team guy, I hope he returns as part of the Leafs Alumni and maybe play in some Leafs Alumni hockey games.

Happy retirement Kabs!

He's playing this Sunday in the Alumni game in Halifax. Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Rick Vaive, Tiger Williams, Dougie Gilmour, Tom Fergus, Antropov, Brad Marsh etc. Should be fun.....and its free!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's playing this Sunday in the Alumni game in Halifax. Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Rick Vaive, Tiger Williams, Dougie Gilmour, Tom Fergus, Antropov, Brad Marsh etc. Should be fun.....and its free!!

Surprised with Sundin being in town he isn't playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad