Confirmed with Link: Tomas Kaberle retires

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
After leaving the NHL in 2013 and spending 3 seasons in Czech top tier Extraliga and lower tier WSM Liga (2nd tier), former Toronto Maple Leafs defender Tomas Kaberle has decided to retire and return to Canada. He has done so with no official announcement, but the retirement has been confirmed in a recent interview.
Source

He ends his career with a total of 984 regular season games in the NHL, scoring 87 goals and assisting 476 goals for a total of 563 points (0.57 PPG) and 260 PIM. He played in 102 playoff games during his career.

He was my favourite player, being drafted by the Leafs as a late round steal and it was a joy to see him blossom through the years. He never looked completely alright after that concussion but he still had "it" and it was sad to see him get traded to the Boston Bruins for a pile of **** after 15 years as a Leaf.

I believe he is returning to Toronto and I'm sure we will have a role lined up for him.

Thanks for the memories, Tomas! One of the best to have ever donned the Blue and White.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One of my favourte Leaf players throughout the years. Very underrated in his prime for the most part.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He should have officially changed his name to "Shoooooooooooottttttt".
You rarely hear that around the ACC anymore.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Oh, I should also mention. Was happy to see him do this...

w768xh576_USPW_95470.jpg

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
At his best he was one of the 3-4 best PP QBs in the league.

An elite PMD and all-star calibre player for 6-7 years.

Absolutely zero maintenance player.

He can have a job on our team any day of the week

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
At his best he was one of the 3-4 best PP QBs in the league.

An elite PMD and all-star calibre player for 6-7 years.

Absolutely zero maintenance player.

He can have a job on our team any day of the week

I remember reading an article why he didn't want to be traded because he loved Toronto so much. Those were the days when players wanted to play for Toronto and loved this city.

He was never the same player after that POS Jenssen elbow. Never played with the same confidence and poise.

Hard to believe I watched his first game in NHL and Sylvian Cote told everyone during pre-season, that Kabby will be a millionaire in NHL because he was so good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kabs was an awesome modern Leaf and Bostonians never did manage to give respect to him for the contributions he made on that cup run. IMO he was the little extra something that helped them win but went unappreciated.

Two common themes for Kabs. Underappreciated and unappreciated. The concussion set him back a fair bit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did McCabe make Kaberle or did Kaberle make McCabe?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He was underrated while he was here. Ride off into the sunset there Kabby.

KABERLE.jpg

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Did McCabe make Kaberle or did Kaberle make McCabe?

They complemented each other so well. McCabe obviously had the big slapper at a time when it was easier to get it off from the point but Kaberle had this ability to put the puck on a platter like no one else could. We were lucky to have both. Personally, though, I give the edge to Kabs as to who was the better player.

He was not in the Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Pronger tier (who are generational talents... hard to believe how lucky we were to watch those three in the game at one time), but he was certainly in the one directly below it. Easily a top 5 offensive defenseman at his peak while being reliable on the defensive end (although his struggles in that regard near the end of his career tends to overshadow that). Crunching some numbers... he was tied for third in points between 2005-2007, trailing only Lidstrom and Niedermayer and alone in 3rd between 2005-2008, trailing only Lidstrom and Gonchar. It's too bad that meathead Jansen hit him with that disgusting blindside. A decade later and it's hard not to get a little bitter thinking about it. He was never the same after that. He still had a decent '07-08 year but was noticeably more hesitant in his decision-making than he was prior to the hit.

It's sad the way we chased him out of town in a reckless push to 'rebuild,' when management (as we now know) had no interest in going that route. At least, unlike Sundin, he ended up winning a Cup out of it, which was good to see. He was an underrated part of that team, I thought.

Anyways, one of my favourite players to suit up with the Blue and White. Wish him nothing but the best in retirement. Hope he can find some role in the organization at some point, either in management or through the alumni organization.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
They complemented each other so well. McCabe obviously had the big slapper at a time when it was easier to get it off from the point but Kaberle had this ability to put the puck on a platter like no one else could. We were lucky to have both. Personally, though, I give the edge to Kabs as to who was the better player.

He was not in the Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Pronger tier (who are generational talents... hard to believe how lucky we were to watch those three in the game at one time), but he was certainly in the one directly below it. Easily a top 5 offensive defenseman at his peak while being reliable on the defensive end (although his struggles in that regard near the end of his career tends to overshadow that). Crunching some numbers... he was tied for third in points between 2005-2007, trailing only Lidstrom and Niedermayer and alone in 3rd between 2005-2008, trailing only Lidstrom and Gonchar. It's too bad that meathead Jansen hit him with that disgusting blindside. A decade later and it's hard not to get a little bitter thinking about it. He was never the same after that. He still had a decent '07-08 year but was noticeably more hesitant in his decision-making than he was prior to the hit.

It's sad the way we chased him out of town in a reckless push to 'rebuild,' when management (as we now know) had no interest in going that route. At least, unlike Sundin, he ended up winning a Cup out of it, which was good to see. He was an underrated part of that team, I thought.

Anyways, one of my favourite players to suit up with the Blue and White. Wish him nothing but the best in retirement. Hope he can find some role in the organization at some point, either in management or through the alumni organization.

He's already in the alumni group. they are playing an alumni game in halifax and hes part of it.

the only issue with the mccabe, kaberle pairing was the fact it became so predictable who would shoot that it effectively killed the power play. I wish the guy nothing but the best though. for a guy who was never physical he carved out a hell of a career.

It says something when players like kaberle and kessel remain tied to the city and consider it home even after getting run out of it.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
Cool Kabby... I'll never forget when he won the shooting accuracy event at the All-Star game. So many good players were there and here was our guy front and center. :laugh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kaberle was a great D man at one point. It's a real shame that he got that concussion and his play regressed somewhat from there, as he could have been a contributor in the NHL for a few years longer.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
It bothers me that he's 16 damned games from 1000. Wonder how he feels....

Some garbage team doesn't need a 7/8 dman for half a season?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I remember reading an article why he didn't want to be traded because he loved Toronto so much. Those were the days when players wanted to play for Toronto and loved this city.

He was never the same player after that POS Jenssen elbow. Never played with the same confidence and poise.

Hard to believe I watched his first game in NHL and Sylvian Cote told everyone during pre-season, that Kabby will be a millionaire in NHL because he was so good.

People still love the city.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Tomas was one of my favs. His composure with the puck was truly amazing - we didn't realize, until he was gone, the effect he had on transition up the ice. I remember more than a handful of long lead passes that the cameraman couldn't keep up to.

Glad he won the cup. He was underrated back there; a quiet type that could fit into any lineup in his prime, do his thing, and not look out of place. His main knock was that he was too passive to take the lead himself - somewhat blame McCabe for being too much of a triggerman that Kabby got too comfortable with the pass first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad