Speculation: Tomas Kaberle eyeing return to the NHL

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I really just wasn't sure exactly which point you were trying to get across.

Also, you say Jagr "barely played" with Jamie Benn in Dallas, yet Benn was Jagr's most common linemate that entire season. They played over 300 minutes together. You're right about Boston though, seems like his linemates were all over the place.

Jagr likes stability, regardless of what the icetime shared stats say about his time with Dallas, Jagr and Benn went through long stretches where they weren't on the same line. Jagr also played a ton with Benn on the powerplay as he was leading his team in powerplay goals before he got traded. The reason why I bring up powerplay numbers is because Jagr thrives at 5-on-5 play, playing puck possession, not on the powerplay. Benn and Jagr never had any chemistry together as you can see yourself, Benn's offensive numbers weren't spectacular.

The point I was trying to make is that certain players tend to thrive in very specific situations. Jagr needs to be to go to guy for him to play his best, in Dallas it was never going to be him, Benn was the guy. The Jagr and Benn experiment never worked because Benn doesn't play a puck possession game like Jagr does, his game is more suited for North American, North-South hockey.

The relevance to Kaberle is what you makes you think he can't bounce back in New Jersey? He will be surrounded by familiar faces and his Czech friends might help him get a new lease on hockey. As I mentioned before, hockey is far more cerebral than it is physical otherwise the biggest, fastest and strongest guys would always be the best in the NHL. That's not the case. Confidence is huge for any player and as soon as Kaberle lost his confidence, his game went south.

I don't think he's any less skilled now (skating, passing, shooting) than he was even 6 years ago. The fact that he's played so little over the past 3 years means his body hasn't aged as quickly as his age says it should.

You keep insisting that Kaberle can't skate, he can and he's far better skater than pretty much half the Devils defense. If that's not an asset to a team, then not sure what is.

BTW, in regards to Kaberle getting a fair share in Boston, you should look at the stats. I found this quote from another forum.

You mean by demoting him down to the 3rd line and complaining about how he played on the powerplay? Even though he lead the team in PP points in the playoffs? He also tied with Seidenberg for most points by a Boston dman… and despite playing 10 minutes less per game than Seidenberg.

Kaberle would be the Devils best powerplay defenseman.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If anything I think Kaberle would be a temporary replacement if Gelinas holds out, or the kids stumble and they need to sign a cheap, experienced defenseman. If he even has anything left of course.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
If anything I think Kaberle would be a temporary replacement if Gelinas holds out, or the kids stumble and they need to sign a cheap, experienced defenseman. If he even has anything left of course.

Gelinas won't be on this team if he holds out into camp.

When was the last Devil RFA to hold out and miss training camp?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Jagr likes stability, regardless of what the icetime shared stats say about his time with Dallas, Jagr and Benn went through long stretches where they weren't on the same line. Jagr also played a ton with Benn on the powerplay as he was leading his team in powerplay goals before he got traded. The reason why I bring up powerplay numbers is because Jagr thrives at 5-on-5 play, playing puck possession, not on the powerplay. Benn and Jagr never had any chemistry together as you can see yourself, Benn's offensive numbers weren't spectacular.

The point I was trying to make is that certain players tend to thrive in very specific situations. Jagr needs to be to go to guy for him to play his best, in Dallas it was never going to be him, Benn was the guy. The Jagr and Benn experiment never worked because Benn doesn't play a puck possession game like Jagr does, his game is more suited for North American, North-South hockey.

The relevance to Kaberle is what you makes you think he can't bounce back in New Jersey? He will be surrounded by familiar faces and his Czech friends might help him get a new lease on hockey. As I mentioned before, hockey is far more cerebral than it is physical otherwise the biggest, fastest and strongest guys would always be the best in the NHL. That's not the case. Confidence is huge for any player and as soon as Kaberle lost his confidence, his game went south.

I don't think he's any less skilled now (skating, passing, shooting) than he was even 6 years ago. The fact that he's played so little over the past 3 years means his body hasn't aged as quickly as his age says it should.

You keep insisting that Kaberle can't skate, he can and he's far better skater than pretty much half the Devils defense. If that's not an asset to a team, then not sure what is.

BTW, in regards to Kaberle getting a fair share in Boston, you should look at the stats. I found this quote from another forum.

no he absolutely wouldn't. at his age, he'd be our 3rd best Powerplay defenseman.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta signed very close to training camp one year. It was the season after he scored 48 goals. I think he must have signed the week camp started, from what I remember at least.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Gionta signed very close to training camp one year. It was the season after he scored 48 goals. I think he must have signed the week camp started, from what I remember at least.

Didn't he actually go into training camp without a contract?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't he actually go into training camp without a contract?

He may have, but I swear I remember Lou saying no one who is not under contract would be allowed at camp.

I remember something vaguely though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Gionta and a handful of other guys signed on the eve of the 2006-07 season. Lou was basically waiting for official word on Mogilny's cap status before proceeding: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2611800

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Kaberle stays on the cap no matter what and Severson does not. It's good business to keep your options open for as long as you can because you never know who might become available and the space you might need.

Not true. It's only the 2nd year of over 35's that always count.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

That video is from 2008. You aren't going to get 2008 Kaberle on the 2015 New Jersey Devils. :laugh:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
From http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729484&navid=DL%7CMTL%7Chome

The only change was that I worked with a trainer back home for a few weeks to make sure I was doing all of the exercises correctly. I added that in,” offered Plekanec, who trained alongside the likes of Jaromir Jagr, Jiri Tlusty, Radko Gudas and Tomas Kaberle in Europe. “I was back on the ice at the end of July with my former team in Kladno five times a week. It’s pretty much always been the same group. That’s the way I like to approach my summers. It’s been working for me.”

If Jagr seems to trust Kaberle to work out with him and practice then Kaberle at least deserves the benefit of doubt. Another thing to consider is that Jagr is not a dumb man and wants for the Devils to succeed and you can bet that he's the one behind Kaberle even getting a look at training camp, so maybe Jagr feels Kaberle still has enough left in the tank?

He wouldn't just want Kaberle to play for the Devils simply because it will make him happy, there must be more to it right?

Last edited:

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
the real question is what looks better to you guys

6th dman
Kaberle

7th
salvador

or

6th
salvador

7th
harrold

Deleted member 28548

the real question is what looks better to you guys

6th dman
Kaberle

7th
salvador

or

6th
salvador

7th
harrold

Believe it will be more likely we see Salvador as a sixth and Harrold / Severson as a 7th.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm okay with signing him if this Gelinas thing drags out. As long as it keeps Petey Jr out of the every night lineup.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm okay with signing him if this Gelinas thing drags out. As long as it keeps Petey Jr out of the every night lineup.

Judging by Kaberle's numbers with Boston, we'd be better off with Harrold. But I guess there's a chance Kaberle gets the old "Czech-buddy-bump" and rejuvenates his career here.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You know you guys make Kaberle out to be old and washed up. But the fact is Salvador is 2 years older than him.

Kaberle has played over 200 more games than Sal though.

But, I am with the 98% of the fanbase that doesn't want to see Sal on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad