Proposal: Tomas Hertl

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Having Pasternak and Mcavoy in their primes not to mention 2 bonafide number one goalies on cheap deals while having Charlie Coyle and Pavel Zacha as your top two centers is a disaster.

Tied for first overall with those two guys as your centers.

How are things going with Hertl as your No. 1 center?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
And what if something else comes up that is more enticing, but they've already made their bed acquiring Hertl?

Most teams will only have a handful of players signed past the next 3-4 years. Doesn't mean they should overlook or disregard the term remaining on aging players.
Depends on who that is. If you're talking about someone younger with less term but more or less the same kind of player the cost is going to be significantly higher. What's more important, the cap space in 5 years or the quality of pieces it would cost?

Tied for first overall with those two guys as your centers.

How are things going with Hertl as your No. 1 center?
Cool. I'm sure being first overall is gonna matter in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Depends on who that is. If you're talking about someone younger with less term but more or less the same kind of player the cost is going to be significantly higher. What's more important, the cap space in 5 years or the quality of pieces it would cost?

What if it was a UFA and their pieces is zero.

Cool. I'm sure being first overall is gonna matter in the playoffs.
Reality is the Bruins played better in the playoffs last year when Krejci and Bergeron were both out and Zacha and Coyle were elevated.

So far, Zacha and Coyle have gotten the jobs done.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What if it was a UFA and their pieces is zero.

Reality is the Bruins played better in the playoffs last year when Krejci and Bergeron were both out and Zacha and Coyle were elevated.

So far, Zacha and Coyle have gotten the jobs done.
Relying on 32 year old Charlie Coyle having a career year to suddenly be the guy at 2C for a long playoff run is really asking for a lot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Relying on 32 year old Charlie Coyle having a career year to suddenly be the guy at 2C for a long playoff run is really asking for a lot.

On paper, it's not ideal. We won't know for sure until we get there. All I can say is thus far, it's worked out.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
On paper, it's not ideal. We won't know for sure until we get there. All I can say is thus far, it's worked out.
Frankly I think Logan Couture is a more ideal fit for the Bruins in that he's only got three more years after this and has shown to elevate his game in the playoffs.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Frankly I think Logan Couture is a more ideal fit for the Bruins in that he's only got three more years after this and has shown to elevate his game in the playoffs.

I agree on Couture. Fits their window better. Would need some retention but it's a much better fit IMO.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You know they had Bergeron and Krejci last year right?
I'm glad you brought that up. You know the team completely went to shit because Bergeron got injured and none of the other centers stepped up? Both Coyle and Zacha had career years and basically no-showed when they were needed. 1 goal combined in 7 games.

I agree on Couture. Fits their window better. Would need some retention but it's a much better fit IMO.
My guess is it's possible but there would have to be a third team involved because I don't think Sharks fans could stomach retention on another star.

Reactions: BruinDust

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think they have to listen, don’t they? It would be different if they had a really deep pool, but they need so much, and he’s the piece they can move, to expedite things.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I like Hertl as a player. But here is no world where he's in any way comparable to Thornton, who at his peak was one of the top 5 players in hockey. Hertl's best year (74 points) was a bad year for Thornton in his prime.

Thornton was pretty much point per game through 2015-16 (82 point year), when he was 36. He declined after that. And in his prime, he was consistently over PPG.

Or stated differently, all players decline, but Thornton started his decline from such a high point, he remained useful (and earned his contract) far longer than Hertl will.

And Hertl's contract AAV and term are pretty brutal. Absent retention, I don't see any team wanting to take that on and send back assets.
Way to miss the point AND the post were I re-explained it to the other guy who totally missed it.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
With Hertl appearing to be not be content with the current status of the sharks, I am guessing that GMMG is going to start listening to some offers in relation. With the Burns and EK retention still on the books, I doubt the sharks would be retaining. We will definitely be able to take some salary back to make it work and maximize value. Looking around the league, there are definitely some partners that make sense, including the Canucks, and Bruins.

To the Canucks:
Tomas Hertl
Matt Benning

To the Sharks:
Hunter Brzustewicz
Andrei Kuzmenko
2025 First Rounder (Top 10 Protected)
2024 Second Rounder
Ian Cole

Who is adding?
Do you have a source for stating that Tomas Hertl appears not to be content with the current state of the Sharks? He has a full NMC this year and it was reported by the MSG announcers at the beginning of the last Rangers/Sharks game that Hertl stated that he wanted to stay in San Jose for the rebuild.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Do you have a source for stating that Tomas Hertl appears not to be content with the current state of the Sharks? He has a full NMC this year and it was reported by the MSG announcers at the beginning of the last Rangers/Sharks game that Hertl stated that he wanted to stay in San Jose for the rebuild.
Hertl has never said one way or the other if he wants to stay or not. Our insider reported that they’ll talk at the end of this season which is exactly how it went with Burns and EK. They talked with Grier and said they don’t want to be here. It’s speculation at this point but between past history and the state of this team I’d say it’s pretty educated speculation.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I would love Hertl on the Sabres, they could use a big move. Maybe for Mitts? Not too worried about the cap when he declines Skinners 9m will be close to expiring. Mitts will require 6-7m anyways.

SJ gets a younger C slightly cheaper. Idk what the add is from Sabres though.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Hertl has never said one way or the other if he wants to stay or not. Our insider reported that they’ll talk at the end of this season which is exactly how it went with Burns and EK. They talked with Grier and said they don’t want to be here. It’s speculation at this point but between past history and the state of this team I’d say it’s pretty educated speculation.
Sam Rosen and Joe Michelitti attended the pregame pressers the morning of the Rangers and Sharks game and reported during the start of the game that Hertl wants to stay in San Jose for the rebuild.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sam Rosen and Joe Michelitti attended the pregame pressers the morning of the Rangers and Sharks game and reported during the start of the game that Hertl wants to stay in San Jose for the rebuild.
Our insider is absolutely a whole lot more in the know than your guys. Hertl never said one or the other.

Reactions: wintersej

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Now that the Canucks have essentially paid that price for a possible rental in Lindholm, has your opinion of the Hertl offer changed in any way?

No because my opposition to trading for Hertl stemmed from his contract and age. We traded for a guy who is a UFA in a few months and we didn't give up Cole. It's not the same

You feel the same now after Lindholm?
Yep, exactly the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad