Proposal: Tomas Hertl

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Brz currently has 69 points in 46 games in the CHL. Kuzmenko is paid fine away from Tocchet. This is a guy that had 74 points last year. Cole is the worst piece of the trade.

That last statement isn’t very accurate either. Do you want to just throw our young guys to the wolves and have yet another prospect ruined by development?
Cole is also our 3rd most used dman. I don't see him being included.

I think we'd have to get Garland off the books in any trade for Hertl but ya the contract is so long it's just difficult to imagine trading anything for it, let alone prospects and high picks.

And I think Hertl will likely be good for a few yrs. If we had an albatross contract we could send the other way then there could be something but I just don't see it.

If SJ can simply get him off the books without adding much they should. This is why the NHL should cap contracts at 5 yrs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes.

Canucks are a sure bet to crater next season. You definitely want the 2025 1st and, better yet, a chance at an unprotected 2026 1st.
What gives you the belief that they're a sure bet to crater next season? Their cap situation looks pretty good. I don't see many pieces of note expiring at the end of the season. Most of their expiring pieces are depth pieces that are largely replaceable. If the aim is for the 2025 1st round pick then it's probably in our best interest to wait for the offseason to pull the trigger on something like that. They can probably open the trade market a little more and drive up his price then as a team like Boston would also have heavy interest.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pettersson and Hronek are going to become twice as expensive if they don't force a trade.

Canucks are a mediocre team riding an inflated PDO this season.
I think twice as expensive is a bit of an exaggeration. Pettersson is probably at the 11 mil range and Hronek is probably at the 7 mil range. That's affordable for them and they're not exactly playing in a stacked division. They can still compete for a playoff spot with a regression. With some expensive contracts expiring and the opportunity to dump a contract on the Sharks for Hertl, I think they could be good enough to keep winning.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think twice as expensive is a bit of an exaggeration. Pettersson is probably at the 11 mil range and Hronek is probably at the 7 mil range. That's affordable for them and they're not exactly playing in a stacked division. They can still compete for a playoff spot with a regression. With some expensive contracts expiring and the opportunity to dump a contract on the Sharks for Hertl, I think they could be good enough to keep winning.
Pettersson is a better player at a more valuable position than Nylander. He's definitely looking at 12 minimum and there's tons of smoke that he's not happy in Vancouver and refuses to negotiate an extension. Entirely possible he pulls a Tkachuk here.

All I'm saying is if this was the stock market I would absolutely buy a short position on the Canucks. Acquiring their 2025 1st is the closest equivalent to that.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hertl has previously stated that he is happy in San Jose, but would be willing to consider a move in the off season.

From a personal point of view, there are other teams where I believe his style of play would be a better fit, such as Boston.
Good aging player, but Boston cannot fit him in cap wise......

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't take Tomas Hertl and his contract off San Jose's hands for free. 6 more years after this one for a player whose had knee problems and wasn't never terribly fast to begin with. 31 years old in November.

You can practically guarantee that contract is either bought out before it's done, or Hertl goes on LTIR and disappears that way. Hertl isn't going to be in the NHL by the time he's 35 or 36 and it's only foolish to think he will be.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As a Flames fan I strongly support the Canucks acquiring Hertl for big assets. They need to make another massive OEL level mistake that jacks up their cap for 6 years. They are too good right now.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't take Tomas Hertl and his contract off San Jose's hands for free. 6 more years after this one for a player whose had knee problems and wasn't never terribly fast to begin with. 31 years old in November.

You can practically guarantee that contract is either bought out before it's done, or Hertl goes on LTIR and disappears that way. Hertl isn't going to be in the NHL by the time he's 35 or 36 and it's only foolish to think he will be.
Similar to Joe Thornton, Hertl’s game has never been reliant on speed. He is big, shifty, and he protects the puck well. Not sure I agree with that take.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Can you tell me when the last time Hertl had a knee injury?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Similar to Joe Thornton, Hertl’s game has never been reliant on speed. He is big, shifty, and he protects the puck well. Not sure I agree with that take.

Joe Thornton is going to be in the HOF. He was an elite player at one point. I don't see Hertl on the same level at all. I'd put a prime Tavares above Hertl and he's similar in that his game wasn't reliant on speed yet we are seeing a big drop off this season in terms of production at age 33. There are no absolutes but safe bet says Hertl's play will drop off considerably in those last 2-3 years of his contract.

I'm not trying to throw stones. I'm a Bruins fan and I'd say the exact same thing about Hampus Lindholm's contract. It could very well end up biting them in the behind. Very good player, like Hertl, but not truly elite and not someone I would want signed into their mid-to-late 30s.

Lots of rumors about Elias Lindholm as well and I don't want the Bruins to go near him on a long-term extension either. So I'm not picking on Hertl. But it takes about two seconds to look and see how guys ages 34+ are doing in the NHL these days. There aren't many of them and most are well into the decline.

Can you tell me when the last time Hertl had a knee injury?

From what I can tell 2020.

Reactions: duckpuck

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

How long ago were those knee problems, genius?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Joe Thornton is going to be in the HOF. He was an elite player at one point. I don't see Hertl on the same level at all. I'd put a prime Tavares above Hertl and he's similar in that his game wasn't reliant on speed yet we are seeing a big drop off this season in terms of production at age 33. There are no absolutes but safe bet says Hertl's play will drop off considerably in those last 2-3 years of his contract.

I'm not trying to throw stones. I'm a Bruins fan and I'd say the exact same thing about Hampus Lindholm's contract. It could very well end up biting them in the behind. Very good player, like Hertl, but not truly elite and not someone I would want signed into their mid-to-late 30s.

Lots of rumors about Elias Lindholm as well and I don't want the Bruins to go near him on a long-term extension either. So I'm not picking on Hertl. But it takes about two seconds to look and see how guys ages 34+ are doing in the NHL these days. There aren't many of them and most are well into the decline.

If it's been about four years, I don't think the knee injury was all that serious since he's been productive since then. I agree with you regarding his decline but I don't think the knee is going to be a factor in that.

Reactions: Gecklund and hn777

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If it's been about four years, I don't think the knee injury was all that serious since he's been productive since then. I agree with you regarding his decline but I don't think the knee is going to be a factor in that.

I pointed it out because it is a fact he had knee problems previously. I agree with you in that the knee shouldn't be a major factor in his overall decline as time moves forward. And I can't discount that he's more at risk to re-injure the torn ACL and MCL, even if it may never happen. If I'm a GM, I have to at the very least take that into consideration.

Reactions: hn777

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

That is a lot of words to demonstrate you totally missed my point that Hertl - like Joe Thornton - never relied on speed to be effective.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
With Hertl appearing to be not be content with the current status of the sharks, I am guessing that GMMG is going to start listening to some offers in relation. With the Burns and EK retention still on the books, I doubt the sharks would be retaining. We will definitely be able to take some salary back to make it work and maximize value. Looking around the league, there are definitely some partners that make sense, including the Canucks, and Bruins.

To the Canucks:
Tomas Hertl
Matt Benning

To the Sharks:
Hunter Brzustewicz
Andrei Kuzmenko
2025 First Rounder (Top 10 Protected)
2024 Second Rounder
Ian Cole

Who is adding?

Holy f*** that is awful for the Canucks. No chance they touch that deal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks would not pay this. With Hertl's contract, his trade value is pretty depressed. Taking the full freight of the contract is pretty much enough as it is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I pointed it out because it is a fact he had knee problems previously. I agree with you in that the knee shouldn't be a major factor in his overall decline as time moves forward. And I can't discount that he's more at risk to re-injure the torn ACL and MCL, even if it may never happen. If I'm a GM, I have to at the very least take that into consideration.
Fair enough but I think GM's tend to value the production shown after the injury that shows it's not an issue for him any longer. Big centers with playoff success still have decent value in the trade market depending on the particulars. I don't think Hertl will get much beyond a 1st round pick back after all the details are worked out when it's time for him to go but the only way a team is going to get him, imo, is if they pay a 1st and not ask the Sharks to retain. Otherwise, I think Grier and probably Hertl are fine with staying the course for the time being.

Reactions: BruinDust

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It seems reasonable because Hertl is a good player but also paid very well.

If he ever gets traded.. I hope it's Boston. I feel like he'd be a perfect fit with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad