Tom Wilson with a pretty aggressive high stick (suspended 6 games)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sorry amigo, I am just frustrated how it works. My beef is not with you, it's with the way the system works.

All good. apologies for my tone in the response.

I think there's problems in the system too. I just don't know what the NHLPA can do in these specific instances. They can't punish players and they are duty bound to represent the one being suspended.

I would love to see a player's poll about the DoPS. How they feel the DoPS is doing their job and if suspensions are too long, too short, etc. But there's no way they'd ever make something like that public.

From the player's side it would take some sort of unified outcry that the league needs to punish more severely. But I can't see players advocating for stronger punishment against themselves.

The NHL's official stance is still that there isn't conclusive proof between CTE and concussions, which is insane. I would've though the league would want to look like they're really trying to reduce head injuries for the inevitable class action lawsuits that will be coming. Instead they're going with outright denial.

Sadly I think it's going to take more lawsuits or something like a Bertuzzi-Moore incident for punishments to be increased for these obviously dirty non-hockey plays.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
All good. apologies for my tone in the response.

I think there's problems in the system too. I just don't know what the NHLPA can do in these specific instances. They can't punish players and they are duty bound to represent the one being suspended.

I would love to see a player's poll about the DoPS. How they feel the DoPS is doing their job and if suspensions are too long, too short, etc. But there's no way they'd ever make something like that public.

From the player's side it would take some sort of unified outcry that the league needs to punish more severely. But I can't see players advocating for stronger punishment against themselves.

The NHL's official stance is still that there isn't conclusive proof between CTE and concussions, which is insane. I would've though the league would want to look like they're really trying to reduce head injuries for the inevitable class action lawsuits that will be coming. Instead they're going with outright denial.

Sadly I think it's going to take more lawsuits or something like a Bertuzzi-Moore incident for punishments to be increased for these obviously dirty non-hockey plays.

From a legal perspective, once the NHL concedes that there is a connection between concussions and CTE, half the plaintiffs’ battle is over. So their lawyers are absolutely telling them to concede nothing.

It’s gross because it’s purely about money. No one is going to jail over this. But rather than do right by struggling retired players and the families of deceased players, they’re focused on protecting the owners’ bank accounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
From a legal perspective, once the NHL concedes that there is a connection between concussions and CTE, half the plaintiffs’ battle is over. So their lawyers are absolutely telling them to concede nothing.

It’s gross because it’s purely about money. No one is going to jail over this. But rather than do right by struggling retired players and the families of deceased players, they’re focused on protecting the owners’ bank accounts.

Just saying, as someone that's been sued a couple of times, it's also about insurance. You're simply not allowed to admit fault or you'll never have insurance again.

Reactions: RogerRoger

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
A man of your word, I like it. Looked back and saw it went to Mac children's. I used to do some work there in partnership with Sickkids, good stuff. I'm gonna match your donation for the vibes.

Cool thing to do. Have a great evening.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
That’s the same for all unions, it’s a common misconception and union propoganda that you’ll hear directly from the mouths of unions, even

Just wanted to make sure we all know that all a union cares about is their dues, and not the worker. The worker is a resource to them. That’s all

This is just straight up nonsense.

It's a weak call to 'both sides' due to the way companies can treat workers as disposable/replicable so you attempt to project that onto unions, in spite of a long history of creating betters hours, benefits, and wages for those who rely on their labour over their capital.

Maybe try a history book or case studies.

Ironic you call out "propoganda" as you shill.

Reactions: cupface52 and Sigh

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Yea. And tobacco companies still sell nicotine.
Cars are still made to go twice the speed limit.
Lawyers protect their right to make billions from it. Even though people die every day from these products. Or risk doing so.

Players make a choice. They all know the risks. They all want Tom Wilson on their team. They don't bitch about the length of suspensions.
Why should fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad