Player Discussion Tom Wilson, NHL All-Star (Part 3)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ranger fans coming here to whine. Last playoffs Backstrom was concussed in game 1 round 1 with an obvious late hit. No suspension. The season before TJ Oshie broke his collarbone and was out for the playoffs on a cheap shot on the numbers. No suspension. I am not really impressed
Who hit Oshie’s head on the ice when they were both down, I can’t remember, I want to say it was against the Blues.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who hit Oshie’s head on the ice when they were both down, I can’t remember, I want to say it was against the Blues.

Oh, geez. That was that body slam on his head. Of course there was Jumbo Joe that ass checked Oshie in the head when he was on his knees and concussed him.

Winnipeg. Slew foot

Reactions: Drakon

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I've probably been one of the biggest critic of Wilson here from the Caps side, I really don't like what he did and thought he deserved to be suspended. It wasn't a hockey play, it has no place in the game and it's an attempt to injure (at least the Buchnevich part).

However, the statement from the Rangers is embarrassing. "Horrifying act of violence", they make it seem like he stabbed a guy on live television.

Did they really need to go that far in their statement? Is this what now qualifies as a "horrifying act of violence"? Are the Rangers going to call 911 and have Wilson arrested?

I think the NHL needs to step in and regain control of the situation. Review Wilson's punishment and increase it if needed, put out a final ruling + statement with no further comments from anyone in either the Rangers or Capitals organization.

Absolutely not. You don't indulge a whiney, snot nosed brat like the Rangers organization. It just encourages more of this gamesmanship garbage.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You think the league is going to suspend Wilson tomorrow?

I wouldn't be surprised if they went back on their original decision. The Rangers are the richest team in the NHL, Panarin is a superstar and Wilson is likely the most hated NHL player at the moment.

The Rangers' public statement is greatly exaggerated of course, they wouldn't put out a statement like that and have it go unnoticed. They have a lot of pull and I have no doubt that they are discussing this matter with Bettman and Daly directly.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if they went back on their original decision. The Rangers are the richest team in the NHL, Panarin is a superstar and Wilson is likely the most hated NHL player at the moment.

The Rangers' public statement is greatly exaggerated of course, they wouldn't put out a statement like that and have it go unnoticed. They have a lot of pull and I have no doubt that they are discussing this matter with Bettman and Daly directly.

They better not. Would make the League an absolute joke.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland

If NHL goes back and reverts their original decision or even adds something to it that would be opening the pandoras box. In the future teams could just pressure DOPS into decisions by these types of stunts.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Absolutely not. You don't indulge a whiney, snot nosed brat like the Rangers organization. It just encourages more of this gamesmanship garbage.

At the same time, the DOPS needs to establish a clear guideline for how they discipline players, especially the ones with a reputation and a record like Wilson.

There will always be teams clamouring for a harsher punishment as long as no guideline is established. If a clear guideline is established, agreed upon and reviewed by all 32 teams and the NHLPA, then there will be less complaints and less public outrage.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
At the same time, the DOPS needs to establish a clear guideline for how they discipline players, especially the ones with a reputation and a record like Wilson.

There will always be teams clamouring for a harsher punishment as long as no guideline is established. If a clear guideline is established, agreed upon and reviewed by all 32 teams and the NHLPA, then there will be less complaints and less public outrage.

Going back on a decision would encourage whining in the media. You can't reward bad behaviour. The NHL needs to tell the Rangers to shut up. Let them off with a warning this time instead of a fine.

Agree that there needs to be better guidelines.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

They do have clear guidelines that have been agreed to by the league and the nhlpa. Its how they interpret those guidelines.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If NHL goes back and reverts their original decision or even adds something to it that would be opening the pandoras box. In the future teams could just pressure DOPS into decisions by these types of stunts.

I agree that it wouldn't be advisable and it would open Pandora's box, but as I mentioned in the post above, I think this all stems from the lack of clear guideline on supplemental discipline from the NHL.

They need to make it systematic and consistent as much as possible, with a clear expectation of what the punishment is for each type of incident.

They better not. Would make the League an absolute joke.

The league is already a joke for many other reasons. The in-game officiating in the NHL is the biggest joke of all the jokes.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Going back on a decision would encourage whining in the media. You can't reward bad behaviour. The NHL needs to tell the Rangers to shut up. Let them off with a warning this time instead of a fine.

Agree that there needs to be better guidelines.
Naw, this needs to be a historic, hammer down fine. Can't be calling for the firing of league officials by name on twitter.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They do have clear guidelines that have been agreed to by the league and the nhlpa. Its how they interpret those guidelines.

That's not disclosed anywhere though, they just say: "This guy gets fined $5K and that guy is out for the next 4 games".

It's a lottery, I thought for sure Wilson would get more for this than he did for the hit on Carlo.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think this is a misrepresentation. This is more like a kid crying in court because their parent's murderer is walking free. Completely understandable. I'm sure if someone intentionally speared Backstrom in the eye, (but luckily didn't blind him), and only received a minor fine, you would be quite upset.

The analogy:
Backstrom-Panarin
Spearing in eye - slamming head into ice
Didn't blind him - Didn't crack his skull.

Wait what? Speared in the eye?

And did you really bring a "think of the children" analogy into this? Murdered??

Your analogy is highly disingenuous just to stir up feelings of emotional distress when nothing happened of the sort. Even close to anything like it.

This is actually disgusting and you should be ashamed.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
They won't do shit because they know it's bullshit and this time Wilson, his agent, and the NHLPA will go after the DOPS if they try it.

What's going to happen tomorrow is Lavi is going to warn the club that the refs are looking for ANY reason to toss you, and the Ragdolls are looking for EVERY opportunity to get in a cheap shot. Their front office and social media team just made them look like little kids who need mommy and daddy to handle the bully at school by whining during morning announcements.

There's no way grown men in the NHL can live with themselves after that, and the Rongo FO knows that. So any bullshit that happens tomorrow is on them.

It is pretty disgusting that people on HF boards are advocating that the Rangers deliberately try to injure one of our star players.

I am actually surprised they aren't being modded. Isn't it a breach of posting rules to encourage injury / cheap shots?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's not disclosed anywhere though, they just say: "This guy gets fined $5K and that guy is out for the next 4 games".

It's a lottery, I thought for sure Wilson would get more for this than he did for the hit on Carlo.

There was a full video on the Carlo hit. You missed that? Its not disclosed to who? The guidelines are signed off on by the PA.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Wait what? Speared in the eye?

And did you really bring a "think of the children" analogy into this? Murdered??

Your analogy is highly disingenuous just to stir up feelings of emotional distress when nothing happened of the sort. Even close to anything like it.
First of all, I didn't bring up the children, the person I was responding to did, let's just get that clear.

Second, the analogy is between a skull crack and a spear in the eye, I spelled it out quite plainly at the end of my post. Basically the point is, if someone took an action against a capital's player that was extremely dangerous, but they didn't end up with major damage (blinded), would you still be upset or would you say other people would be accurate in saying you were "whining like children" which is what the OP that I was responding to said originally.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
Reaves didn't get anything for his late blindside hit on Wilson that left him concussed and then Reaves literally sold autographed photos of it afterwards. Not even gonna to link a video of that.

Kadri didn't get any supplemental discipline for the dirty knee on Ovi in the 2017 playoffs that forced him to play on one leg for the rest of the playoffs.

While we're on the topic of unsportsmanlike physicality, what about Marchand literally jumping Eller and pummeling him until his head was left bleeding? I remember being annoyed that the majority of the NHL's media personalities seemed to love that and thought that the "little ball of hate" showed a lot of pride and "sent a message" about disrespecting his team.

We've been on the receiving end of a lot of crap that has gone unpunished over the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad