Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Haven't seen a single one of Wilander's games with Boston U......but was impressed with his skating and quiet efficiency in his own zone playing against his same age-group at the World Jr. Hockey Championships.

How much has he improved? Will he have a breakout season in his second year of NCAA hockey? But the bonus, he's also eligible for next year's World Juniors.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Well you're entitled to your opinion and like I was suggesting, we could get into a "best pick available" discussion which changes the discussion.

But at the end of the day, during that timespan, the Canucks drafted three 30+ goal scorers (Petey, McCann, Boeser), a Norris contender (Hughes), a Vezina contender (Demko in the second round), a top pairing/#3 Dman (Forsling in the 5th round), plus Hoglander in the 2nd round. All of that without the benefit of a top 4 pick.

Obviously there were some misses along the way and McCann and Forsling were given up for little in return but I would say that's above average drafting.

an average is not an opinion

Haven't seen a single one of Wilander's games with Boston U......but was impressed with his skating and quiet efficiency in his own zone playing against his same age-group at the World Jr. Hockey Championships.

How much has he improved? Will he have a breakout season in his second year of NCAA hockey? But the bonus, he's also eligible for next year's World Juniors.

why tf did you call his skating "elite" earlier in this very thread then?!

Reactions: Nopefully

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That’s why he should spend another year there. Be the guy, try stuff and learn. He’s good enough defensively but he needs the opportunity to be the main offensive guy and develop.

Exactly. There are zero questions about his skating, gap control, defensive IQ. He's going to be a very good NHL player. The only real question is how good he'll be offensively and you want him staying at this level and pushing his boundaries as the go-to offensive guy there next year. And I think the team knows that too which is why there is zero talk about him being signed.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's just a snapshot. TOI should be the first marker.

If we widen the lens to a 3 year data set to eliminate noise like Burroughs, here are the names:

Alexandre Romanov
Ben Chiarot
Tyler Myers
Sean Durzi
Henri Jokiharju
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Connor Murphy
Cody Ceci
Matt Roy
Chris Tanev
Dylan DeMelo
Torey Krug

Benson doesn't have to be Marchand/Marner to beat those options for value.
This just feels like a random list of players. Like what is the commonality here?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This just feels like a random list of players. Like what is the commonality here?

#3D level TOI. The fact that there is such a range should tell people that it's not as valuable/as difficult to get as you would think.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

i watched a lot of his games in the ncaa and he didn't really show much improvement. he started out very good for the level but the things he really needed to improve (his in zone positioning, his puck handling and his entire offensive zone game) he didn't. he needs at least another year

he did look better in the world juniors tho

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Sloppy 1st period by everyone on BU

2nd and start of 3rd he's been better
has a secondary assist in the game, not even sure how as he must have had some touch well before the goal happened, as I swear it hit like 3 other players sticks, but apparently none were believed to have had possession

RIT never took advantage of a strong 1st, which you have to do when you're the underdog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hodgy and Lindgren

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Imagine how many points this guy is gonna produce once Lane “puck hog” Hutson is gone
dude is legit good at creating offense. without him, I doubt the offense will be as efficiently run, however, I'm not so sure he can overcome his miniature stature without exceptional skating like QH. On the flipside I would temper expectations on Willander's offense next year. he needs time to be comfortable making plays in the offensive zone, he is good on all the other intangibles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hutson was amazing today

I have been critical of him doing too much, and having the longest shifts in history, and not back checking.

but he was an absolute force offensively

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Hutson was amazing today

I have been critical of him doing too much, and having the longest shifts in history, and not back checking.

but he was an absolute force offensively
Willander! What's the detailed report on Willander?!

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Willander! What's the detailed report on Willander?!

He was solid like that pairing is.
He was 2nd in TOI amongst all players.
I didn’t like anybody’s first period
I though he was their best player defending the lead.

Don’t mean be touting an empty net goal, but he fight off 2 forcheckers and stick handles around another to seal the game, that his defensive prowess.
Even pandolfo in the postgame said he loved webs and Willander with heavy minutes in the final 7 minutes with good clears

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He was solid like that pairing is.
He was 2nd in TOI amongst all players.
I didn’t like anybody’s first period
I though he was their best player defending the lead.

Don’t mean be touting an empty net goal, but he fight off 2 forcheckers and stick handles around another to seal the game, that his defensive prowess.
Even pandolfo in the postgame said he loved webs and Willander with heavy minutes in the final 7 minutes with good clears
that sounds a lot better than
maybe ask after next game. he wasn't very good

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
that sounds a lot better than

he wasn't the worst player on the ice or anything but ~30 of the guys in the game have no hope of seeing the NHL. he needs to be one of the best 5 players in the game night after night (at minimum) to live up to his promise. he looks way too ordinary way too often right now

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
he wasn't the worst player on the ice or anything but ~30 of the guys in the game have no hope of seeing the NHL. he needs to be one of the best 5 players in the game night after night (at minimum) to live up to his promise. he looks way too ordinary way too often right now
just pointing out the difference between how you describe his performance vs what @Breakers said.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I think you're going to get that for players drafted for conversion or their trappings (right shot) instead of their upside. There are relatively less 'steal the moment' type plays they make. Have to judge it on the balance of play instead.

Podkolzin was like this where he would hit and have a rush or two, but his production tended to lag. You knew they drafted him for that all-around combination, so it was understood, but you were always left wanting more.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think you're going to get that for players drafted for conversion or their trappings (right shot) instead of their upside. There are relatively less 'steal the moment' type plays they make. Have to judge it on the balance of play instead.

Podkolzin was like this where he would hit and have a rush or two, but his production tended to lag. You knew they drafted him for that all-around combination, so it was understood, but you were always left wanting more.
i thought Willander actually had higher upside but is more raw and needs more time.

He's suppose to be the best skater (D wise) in his class and has plus IQ, NHL size and is a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad