Injury Report: Tom Pyatt

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you watch it in real time, it really wasn't that bad of a hit. He didn't stick the wing out to get his head, and it wasn't a blindside hit per se. If the question is, "Did the Boston player go head hunting on this hit?" I think the honest answer has to be no. Let's put it this way - I don't think we'd be too happy if one of our guys got tagged with a suspension for a similar play.

If Pyatt can't go, (and he shouldn't if in fact he was diagnosed with a concussion) then I would want White to draw in. Young legs, lots of energy, etc. It won't be, though - Boucher will take Wingels...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
At worst, the refs missed a 2min penalty for interference.

The hit itself, other than the fact that it was interference, was fine. I don't see a problem with it. Didn't leave his feet or target the head or anything, he just took the man before he got to the puck.

Sucks for Pyatt, but that's just hockey.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't get why it wasn't an Interference call. Regardless of injury! :amazed:

If you watch it in real time, it's very difficult to see that Pyatt never touched the puck. Either ref would be forgiven for thinking that he was playing it, because he was right around it. We get the benefit of super slo-mo replay, whereas the refs on the ice have to call it in real time in an instant...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't get why it wasn't an Interference call. Regardless of injury! :amazed:

I find a lot of times those types of plays don't get called. It's like the refs feel the player was close to the puck, so it's ok even if he never actually touched it.

Reffing in the playoffs is weird in general though. They let so much go and "let them play", but then call the tiniest things. I've stopped trying to figure it out. Refs gonna ref.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
If you watch it in real time, it's very difficult to see that Pyatt never touched the puck. Either ref would be forgiven for thinking that he was playing it, because he was right around it. We get the benefit of super slo-mo replay, whereas the refs on the ice have to call it in real time in an instant...
Are you kidding? I called it in real time when it happened. Dman actually let the puck go by and chose to throw a pick instead of playing it. Pyatt never got near the puck. I couldn't believe there was no penalty at all.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Are you kidding? I called it in real time when it happened. Dman actually let the puck go by and chose to throw a pick instead of playing it. Pyatt never got near the puck. I couldn't believe there was no penalty at all.

Defensemen use a jack-in-the-box kind of hit when trying to protect themselves against a hit from a forechecker when they're skating towards the end-boards. When they just mean to soften the blow of the hit by letting the gap close before they get to the boards, it's ok, but sometimes it's kind of interference-like and sometimes it's a hit away from the puck.

I think this was the same kind of intention, except Pyatt wasn't closing in from behind, he was approaching along the boards, obliquely. So Miller's hit was much more of a hit than what would usually be letting the forechecker gap close before reaching the puck.

In the words of Mike Leggo, you can't do that.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Defensemen use a jack-in-the-box kind of hit when trying to protect themselves against a hit from a forechecker when they're skating towards the end-boards. When they just mean to soften the blow of the hit by letting the gap close before they get to the boards, it's ok, but sometimes it's kind of interference-like and sometimes it's a hit away from the puck.

I think this was the same kind of intention, except Pyatt wasn't closing in from behind, he was approaching along the boards, obliquely. So Miller's hit was much more of a hit than what would usually be letting the forechecker gap close before reaching the puck.

In the words of Mike Leggo, you can't do that.

He gave him the business.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
In the regular season that hit would probably be an interference penalty. It's nothing in playoffs.

I don't think the contact to the head was a headshot. Pyatt was attacking in a low skating position and Miller did not elevate his shoulder to target the head. The head was obviously a point of contact but Miller had his elbow down and arm tucked in. The only way he could 100% avoid contact to the head was if he crouched down or spun around and threw a hip into Pyatt.

It was just an unfortunate play that caught Pyatt off guard.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In the regular season that hit would probably be an interference penalty. It's nothing in playoffs.

I don't think the contact to the head was a headshot. Pyatt was attacking in a low skating position and Miller did not elevate his shoulder to target the head. The head was obviously a point of contact but Miller had his elbow down and arm tucked in. The only way he could 100% avoid contact to the head was if he crouched down or spun around and threw a hip into Pyatt.

It was just an unfortunate play that caught Pyatt off guard.

Agree...could have been called .... it was interference ... lot's of chops , and cross checks , interference is let go. I hope Pyatt is back soon.. He's a good little pepper pot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad