Tom Kurvers passes away-age 57

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
RIP. Awful news. So unfortunate that he got lung cancer. I heard he always kept himself in good shape and he wasn't a smoker so it's truly baffling how something like that could happen.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Damn this sux, pretty sure he is also the first player to pass from the beloved Isles team in 93, definitely hits

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
They mentioned him during the intermission of HNIC last night. They said he wasn't doing too good, but rough that this comes right after that.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I hated when NJ traded Kurvers for a draft pick..... until that pick ended up being Scott Niedermayer

RIP TK

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
RIP. Awful news. So unfortunate that he got lung cancer. I heard he always kept himself in good shape and he wasn't a smoker so it's truly baffling how something like that could happen.

Radon gas and/or carcinogenic particulates

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Smoking increases the risk - increases it a lot - but the risk still exists, just like it does for every other cancer. There's a base level of risk for each cancer, then there's a whole host of other factors that can increase that risk - age, gender, diet, genetics etc

Sadly, lung cancer has a poor survival rate.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I remember going to an isles game as a kid and seeing him shoot the puck from his own goal line to over the glass behind the other goal. Never seen it before or since. I think it’d be a DOG penalty today.

RIP

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

Crazy to realize that 15-25% of lung cancer deaths occur in people with no or (negligible) smoking history. Lung cancer is by far the biggest cancer killer worldwide, but it receives way less per capita research funding relative to some other types, perhaps in part because of the perception that patients “brought it on themselves”.

58 is way too young to go. RIP.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Crazy to realize that 15-25% of lung cancer deaths occur in people with no or (negligible) smoking history. Lung cancer is by far the biggest cancer killer worldwide, but it receives way less per capita research funding relative to some other types, perhaps in part because of the perception that patients “brought it on themselves”.

58 is way too young to go. RIP.

Yup.

Knew someone in Miami who was a non smoker, in shape, etc who got diagnosed with stage 4 at 34 years old.

Genetics and shit happens unfortunately.

Just another cancer that can go under the radar till it's almost too late to treat.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Yeah there's lots of factors that go into it. Prevention is better than cure so all the emphasis is on smoking cessation.

It predominantly affects working class men, so there's a little bit of I don't know if snobbery is the right word. But certainly it doesn't have the powerful advocates that say breast cancer does where white middle class metropolitan women have mobilised brilliantly the last 20-30 years to change breast cancer survival rates from 50% to 90%

Also, the key word is "worldwide". In the west smoking has fallen, and continues to fall every year, leading to lower lung cancer rates. Most of the deaths are in the developing and 3rd world. Most of the money and the research is in the west, so lung cancer is lower down the priority list.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Seemed like such a great person. To add to the sadness the guy took great care of his body and never smoked..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad