Tom Kurvers passes away-age 57

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah there's lots of factors that go into it. Prevention is better than cure so all the emphasis is on smoking cessation.

It predominantly affects working class men, so there's a little bit of I don't know if snobbery is the right word. But certainly it doesn't have the powerful advocates that say breast cancer does where white middle class metropolitan women have mobilised brilliantly the last 20-30 years to change breast cancer survival rates from 50% to 90%

Also, the key word is "worldwide". In the west smoking has fallen, and continues to fall every year, leading to lower lung cancer rates. Most of the deaths are in the developing and 3rd world. Most of the money and the research is in the west, so lung cancer is lower down the priority list.

Agree with a lot of what you’re saying. But even in developed nations, lung cancer remains the #1 cause of cancer death. Like it kills as many people as the #2, #3, and #4 cancer killers combined in the USA I believe.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I posted this on the Lightning's board. I just wanted to share here.

One training camp the up stairs in Brandon wasn't taped off so I walked up there and watched. I was watching Jaroslav Janus whom we just drafted. A guy stood next to me and was watching them as well. I just started to spout off on Janus, how I felt he had potential but his lack of positioning worried me. Felt like he was able to make that ten bell save, but half the time he puts himself in that position when he didn't need too. The guy was utterly intrigued and started to spout back and forth on different prospects. We talked for about 30 minutes or so. Afterwards he shook my hand and I introduced myself (I haven't told him my name.) and he told told me he was Tom Kurves. I was instantly shell shocked. I was just shooting the shit with our assistant GM. It's one of my favorite hockey memories about the Lightning. Rest in Peace Tom. You were a good guy, and hockey lost a good one with you.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Agree with a lot of what you’re saying. But even in developed nations, lung cancer remains the #1 cause of cancer death. Like it kills as many people as the #2, #3, and #4 cancer killers combined in the USA I believe.

Yeah, it's still #1 in the UK, but it's less than breast, prostate and bowel cancer combined

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hated when NJ traded Kurvers for a draft pick..... until that pick ended up being Scott Niedermayer

RIP TK

Feel bad for TK, it is part of his epitaph that trade. He was a good player, but would you want to be him they year of the draft and having the TO media up in arms over the fact for awhile it was looking like the pick was going to Lindros(until the Nords traded 3 heart and soul players who wanted to win)

Before you think I am nuts. The moment the Nords/Leaf trade was made--people said "this was to make sure the leafs do not finish last". While Michel Petit, Lucien DeBlois, and Aaron Broten were solid NHLERS and Petit and Deblois played balls out in their time with the leafs and Nords added no nhl players--they dumped 3 solid role players who played tough and got picks for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad