NFL: Tom Brady retires for good this time

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is Rodgers in that generation? Or is he more similar to Russ, who was among the game's best but not on the level of these other guys? Feels like he should be more lumped in with those six.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah Rodgers is with those guys for sure
Off-topic so apologies but...

Am I missing anyone in thinking that Rodgers is the last great QB of a generation? And that Wilson is the only really potentially great (if not all-timer) in the generation between those guys and the current crop?

Stafford maybe? He was dismissed as a numbers guy but he has a title now. Ryan? Although isn't he almost Rodgers' age?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Is Rodgers in that generation? Or is he more similar to Russ, who was among the game's best but not on the level of these other guys? Feels like he should be more lumped in with those six.

Of course. Its just, he's still playing right now. Can't really call it end of an era and put him if he's still active.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Off-topic so apologies but...

Am I missing anyone in thinking that Rodgers is the last great QB of a generation? And that Wilson is the only really potentially great (if not all-timer) in the generation between those guys and the current crop?

Stafford maybe? He was dismissed as a numbers guy but he has a title now. Ryan? Although isn't he almost Rodgers' age?

I think all those guys are very close but not quite there , If Ryan had won that SB I think it would be fair to put him in there, Brady and Peyton are in a tier of their own, then maybe Brees and Rodgers next and Ben/Rivers/Eli as the "Lesser Greats"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think all those guys are very close but not quite there , If Ryan had won that SB I think it would be fair to put him in there, Brady and Peyton are in a tier of their own, then maybe Brees and Rodgers next and Ben/Rivers/Eli as the "Lesser Greats"
Yeah I can get on board with that, although I'm of the opinion that Roethlisberger is underrated and I generally consider him about even with Brees but that's not what I was curious about. I was just wondering generationally. You've got what I think we've decided are seven guys (the six in that tweet plus Rodgers) in a generation of greats. Then there are a group of young guys who are at the top of the game now.

I was wondering about the "between" generation. Is it fair to say Stafford/Wilson/maybe Ryan are the tops of that group, if not at the level of the previous group?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yeah I can get on board with that, although I'm of the opinion that Roethlisberger is underrated and I generally consider him about even with Brees but that's not what I was curious about. I was just wondering generationally. You've got what I think we've decided are seven guys (the six in that tweet plus Rodgers) in a generation of greats. Then there are a group of young guys who are at the top of the game now.

I was wondering about the "between" generation. Is it fair to say Stafford/Wilson/maybe Ryan are the tops of that group, if not at the level of the previous group?

Yeah they are the best of that bunch, after them Cousins and Dalton would probably be the next guys, I didn't realize that Stafford was only drafted one year after Ryan even though he is 3 years younger, was Ryan like a 6th yr senior?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah they are the best of that bunch, after them Cousins and Dalton would probably be the next guys, I didn't realize that Stafford was only drafted one year after Ryan even though he is 3 years younger, was Ryan like a 6th yr senior?
Stafford was the top QB recruit coming out of HS and started as a true freshman at SEC power Georgia. Left for Nfl after his junior year.
Ryan, went to smaller BC in the ACC and RS and thus didn’t earn the starter Job full time until his RS junior year.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah rodgers for sure belongs there

rodgers became the starter in 08 while all those guys became starters at least a few years earlier, so maybe that's why they left him out?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
yeah rodgers for sure belongs there

rodgers became the starter in 08 while all those guys became starters at least a few years earlier, so maybe that's why they left him out?
I think they left him out because he's still playing, as someone said above. I don't think the tweet missed him, I was just wondering where Rodgers fit generationally.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think they left him out because he's still playing, as someone said above. I don't think the tweet missed him, I was just wondering where Rodgers fit generationally.
yeah didn't think of that part lol

he for sure fits in with those guys from a generational standpoint (and talent as well) it's interesting that rodgers became GB's starter the same year ryan and flacco came into the league. then you had stafford drafted a year later and russ a few years after that (the in-between generation)

but talent-wise, rodgers is obviously a level above those guys

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
yeah didn't think of that part lol

he for sure fits in with those guys from a generational standpoint (and talent as well) it's interesting that rodgers became GB's starter the same year ryan and flacco came into the league. then you had stafford drafted a year later and russ a few years after that (the in-between generation)

but talent-wise, rodgers is obviously a level above those guys

With Rodgers sitting for those first few years he has actually started 11 less games than Ryan but has 94 more TDs and 78 less INT's

It's easy to let his douchebaggery to cloud just how great he has been, at least in the regular season

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
With Rodgers sitting for those first few years he has actually started 11 less games than Ryan but has 94 more TDs and 78 less INT's

It's easy to let his douchebaggery to cloud just how great he has been, at least in the regular season
And guys like Brees and Ryan greatly benefitted by playing in domes for over half their games and in the south for the majority of their other games. Brady and Rodgers played in poor to fair conditions for probably 25% of their games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And guys like Brees and Ryan greatly benefitted by playing in domes for over half their games and in the south for the majority of their other games. Brady and Rodgers played in poor to fair conditions for probably 25% of their games.
Always felt that Dome teams are at a disadvantage come playoffs having to travel. Obviously there’s more then just the QB but Ben and Brady have much better winning percentage in PO vs Brees and Ryan.

So, getting those few games in December in bad weather gets you prepared for the PO. If those warm weather teams don’t secure home field they typically don’t do as well on the road.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Always felt that Dome teams are at a disadvantage come playoffs having to travel. Obviously there’s more then just the QB but Ben and Brady have much better winning percentage in PO vs Brees and Ryan.

So, getting those few games in December in bad weather gets you prepared for the PO. If those warm weather teams don’t secure home field they typically don’t do as well on the road.
If you play a number of games in cold, wind and rain/snow you get used to the fact that " it ain't going to be pretty.... but you do whatever it takes to win" mentality. Stats and style don't matter, wins do.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you play a number of games in cold, wind and rain/snow you get used to the fact that " it ain't going to be pretty.... but you do whatever it takes to win" mentality. Stats and style don't matter, wins do.
Puts the onus to secure home field to those good weather teams. If you don’t good luck with wind, snow, rain up north.

Reactions: DueDiligence

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Tom Brady could have played on the surface of the moon and been unaffected by the conditions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad