Signing(s): Tom Brady close to an extension

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
How on earth is he only making 23M...and that's a big raise?

Brady is a unique case;

He's routinely taken far, far lower contracts than he's worth for the sake of keeping the Pats competitive. A noble thing to do. While i don't discredit him for doing so, Brady also wins because his wife is an internationally famous supermodel which probably makes like double he does. I think he even jokingly made that point when his contract came up in the media one time.

The Patriots have gotten so many horseshoes up their ass both on and off the field it's absurd.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
so this takes him through what season?

next season.

The maximizing of cap space isn't about him just taking less money because he can. I mean, he can. But they do this like every year, or at least every other year so they can maximize the cap space and what he gets paid.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Brady is a unique case;

He's routinely taken far, far lower contracts than he's worth for the sake of keeping the Pats competitive. A noble thing to do. While i don't discredit him for doing so, Brady also wins because his wife is an internationally famous supermodel which probably makes like double he does. I think he even jokingly made that point when his contract came up in the media one time.

The Patriots have gotten so many horseshoes up their ass both on and off the field it's absurd.

Well, it's f***ing bullshit.:laugh:
With my 35M/yr QB over here.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
so this takes him through what season?

next season.

The maximizing of cap space isn't about him just taking less money because he can. I mean, he can. But they do this like every year, or at least every other year so they can maximize the cap space and what he gets paid.
It’s a 2 year extension on top of his current deal and takes him through the 2021 season, so 3 more seasons

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Saw that, I think he'll retire after this contract is up.
Well, the contract would take him till 45 yrs old. And hes stated he wants to play till 45.

Also interesting that he now will be making more per season than Garoppolo. I dont think thats a coincidence

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
This seems...odd

The theory floating around the media sphere here is this gives Brady more negotiating power next year, if he wants to keep playing. Basically they have to agree on a new contract or he's gone, no tag or existing contract to hold him to. The last two years are just for cap purposes.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
gotta think this is his last contract

unless he's really trying to play until he's 50

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
There's no rule about signing a contract extension that is automatically void before it even starts just to get the cap number down? Has anyone else done this? Why doesn't everyone else do this all the time?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
There's no rule about signing a contract extension that is automatically void before it even starts just to get the cap number down? Has anyone else done this? Why doesn't everyone else do this all the time?

No rule yet...

tenor.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Brady is a unique case;

Yea, shes worth double what he is.

However if Brady was married to a regular citizen, I think he'd still take less, especially at this point. Guy just wants to win games / help his team, his off-field stuff is lucrative anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad