Tomáš Kaberle retires

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Never understood how his play deteriorated so fast. Never really thought to compare them before, but man, he and Redden were really similar in career path and even style. Smooth skating defenceman with outstanding passing, who falls off a cliff early for no reason.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Never understood how his play deteriorated so fast. Never really thought to compare them before, but man, he and Redden were really similar in career path and even style. Smooth skating defenceman with outstanding passing, who falls off a cliff early for no reason.

He was never the same after the Can Jansson hit. Dirty, dirty hit.

member 157595

Even though he never shot the damn puck he was really, really good in his prime. Blew McCabe and his "We'll sit out the rest of our lives if there's a hard cap" awful contract out of the water.

Does anyone have that funny picture of him as a Bruin avoiding/ignoring a goal celebration? :laugh:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Even though he never shot the damn puck he was really, really good in his prime. Blew McCabe and his "We'll sit out the rest of our lives if there's a hard cap" awful contract out of the water.

Does anyone have that funny picture of him as a Bruin avoiding/ignoring a goal celebration? :laugh:

boston-bruins-defenseman-tomas-kaberle-front-skates-past-montreal-gfad0g.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Best Czech D of all time?

Pretty crazy how Czech doesn't seem to have any decent D noe when just 7-10 years ago they would have had a pretty good line up with prime or near-prime Kaberle, Hamrlik, Roszival, Zidlicky, Kubina

Personally I would definitely rank Roman Hamrlik ahead of Tomas Kaberle, and by a pretty fair margin.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Best Czech D of all time?

Pretty crazy how Czech doesn't seem to have any decent D noe when just 7-10 years ago they would have had a pretty good line up with prime or near-prime Kaberle, Hamrlik, Roszival, Zidlicky, Kubina

Unless I'm somehow missing someone obvious, I say Jan Suchy and Frantisek Pospisil are toe to toe competing for that title.They were far better than Kaberle.

That being said, congrats to Kaberle on a good career.He was very good in Toronto.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Eh, McCabe was very underrated. the criticism went laughably over-the-top.

He was always a lethal threat on the PP, but McCabe was also equally good for at least 1 braincramp at night followed by something like this:

Buffalo+Sabres+v+Toronto+Maple+Leafs+xyU-D_FkMDhl.jpg

You think he would learn over time to stop baiting the refs into targeting him for borderline calls by incessantly complaining all the way to the box...you would think.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Why can't two players succeed together without anybody claiming that X made Y? Why couldn't they have complimented each other so well that made each other? Could Kaberle and McCabe's [relative] success in Toronto really have been as simple as that? Two complimentary players?

Nah, because this is HF.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
He was never the same after the Can Jansson hit. Dirty, dirty hit.

I can't recall if Janssen received any sort of punishment for that but I do remember how not a single Leaf went after Janssen even though he was ready for a show down. Tucker was livid but he wasn't dressed to play. I thought the Leafs would show some sort of push back but nothing really came of it.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hated him in Mtl. Was happy as hell when they got rid of him.
Honestly, though, I'm in the already thought he retired camp.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Critcism of McCabe is somewhat unfair and I don't think it was a matter of Kaberle making him (though he certainly helped) but McCabe really lost his effectiveness when the can opener started getting called.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Why can't two players succeed together without anybody claiming that X made Y? Why couldn't they have complimented each other so well that made each other? Could Kaberle and McCabe's [relative] success in Toronto really have been as simple as that? Two complimentary players?

Nah, because this is HF.

Nah, its because Kaberle made McCabe better. Kaberle was pretty good with any dman next to him... McCabe was better with Kaberle next to him.

Also, f Cam Janssen

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For me when I think about Kaberle I'll mostly think of his Leaf days like most people. But I'll also remember when he was a Hab which was basically the weirdest thing to see. Kaberle in a Hab uniform was just not right.

The Habs stint was definitely weird. As a Leafs fan I enjoyed his time in Toronto, but I really wish we could remember him in a Flyers jersey instead.

For the unaware, he blocked a trade to Philadelphia for what would've been Jeff Carter and a 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad