Seravalli: Toffoli will not re-sign in Calgary, wants to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Man. Are Seravalli and Conroy best friends?

It's tough news for the Flames, but Toffoli, Lindholm and (to a lesser extent) Backlund are big pieces. Toffoli and Lindholm are on sweetheart deals for one more year and could very well fetch a high return this summer. If not, they'll be two of the biggest chips at the deadline. Moving all three at or around the same time can easily help to expedite a retool.

They have to trade them this summer. Too much injury risk and you don't want this circus during the season.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You basically have to tag along an anchor to every premiere player and a pick. Unfortunately.

Anderson + hubs + 2nd

Weegar can move on his own

Kadri + 1st to Columbus
No they don't lol.
Huberdeau and Kadri can be the tank commanders. Didn;t see the Hawks paying anyone to take Seth Jones or the Stars with Benn and Seguin. Cap space will not be a problem if they go the rebuild route.

Man. Are Seravalli and Conroy best friends?
I think this more coming from the agents side. Let every team know their clients are looking for a new team and contract

Reactions: viper0220

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
These Flames threads for those that don’t want to read through them:

Oiler fans:
Shaq/Kobe highlights flaming Calgary.

Calgary fans:
Majority have been calling for a proper rebuild for almost a decade.

These players are all doing this team a solid by asking out. Especially guys like Toffoli, Lindholm, Backlund and Hanifin; their values have never been higher over the past few years.

Overall I agree with the sentiment of this post. At least you know exactly where you stand if you're Craig Conroy. It'd be worse to have a bunch of discontented players sitting in that locker room.

Usually the boat springs a few leaks before it sinks, but a torpedo right to the bow means you can start rebuilding sooner and with a clearer vision as to what pieces need to go.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's what you get for living in Calgary.
I mean it was just ranked the 7th most livable city in the world?

The city is great, but the winters do suck. I can see why a player would want to spend winters elsewhere. Also the rink is terrible, with the home locker room being worse than most away rooms.

For Toffoli specifically he has been under appreciated in this market since his arrival.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think this more coming from the agents side. Let every team know their clients are looking for a new team and contract
Most likely, and I don't know who represents each player, but it's interesting that Seravalli drops these three names before anyone this side of the border right after Conroy takes over. I'd really have to go digging to see how often he scoops his Cdn counterparts on the Flames.

They have to trade them this summer. Too much injury risk and you don't want this circus during the season.
I would agree. The preferable scenario would be to move on this summer. However, that's three sizable trades to try and accomplish before October.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Its gotta be the brutal weather .
Nah. Imo whenever there are hockey reasons that explain things, that's the way to go.

Toffoli played for Calgary and re signed for Calgary. So this has nothing to do with the city or the climate.

The Flames gambled big last offseason and lost. Of course these players don't want to re sign when the team is in the tank with no real hope. Plus, it snowballs. Lindholm's non commitment might fuel Toffoli's non commitment and vice versa.

But to give you the most credit possible, we could trace this to even Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanting out, despite winning the division the last season. There, that was a small bit of success after seasons of mediocrity, and it ended badly. Plus those two in particular had well established ties to American roots

Plus I do think a lot of American players were shaken by what happened during Covid. This is a Canadian political issue.

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Nah. Imo whenever there are hockey reasons that explain things, that's the way to go.

Toffoli played for Calgary and re signed for Calgary. So this has nothing to do with the city or the climate.

The Flames gambled big last offseason and lost. Of course these players don't want to re sign when the team is in the tank with no real hope. Plus, it snowballs. Lindholm's non commitment might fuel Toffoli's non commitment and vice versa.

But to give you the most credit possible, we could trace this to even Gaudreau and Tkachuk wanting out, despite winning the division the last season. There, that was a small bit of success after seasons of mediocrity, and it ended badly. Plus those two in particular had well established ties to American roots

Plus I do think a lot of American players were shaken by what happened during Covid. This is a Canadian political issue.
Something is up for sure. This isn't a one off.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Toffoli never re-signed in Calgary. Think this contract is still the Montreal is it not?

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
No they don't lol.
Huberdeau and Kadri can be the tank commanders. Didn;t see the Hawks paying anyone to take Seth Jones or the Stars with Benn and Seguin. Cap space will not be a problem if they go the rebuild route.

Why wouldn’t you? You can make up the lost picks by taking 1-2 year cap dumps with picks. This is a full rebuild for Calgary. Those contracts and those players will only become harder to move when you are ready to compete in 5-7 years.

Reactions: CBJx614

Bond

May 10, 2012
Why wouldn’t you? You can make up the lost picks by taking 1-2 year cap dumps with picks. This is a full rebuild for Calgary. Those contracts and those players will only become harder to move when you are ready to compete in 5-7 years.
Andersson is probably the Flames most valuable piece. The cap will be going up and they can ride out the Huberdeau contract.
Kadri + some other teams late 1st sure. Kadri + Flames 1st would be terrible.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean it was just ranked the 7th most livable city in the world?

The city is great, but the winters do suck. I can see why a player would want to spend winters elsewhere. Also the rink is terrible, with the home locker room being worse than most away rooms.

For Toffoli specifically he has been under appreciated in this market since his arrival.
Didn't they announce they are getting a new arena? I mean obviously years away, so that doesn't help now. But it could be perfect timing for a rebuild. New faces for the team in a new building.

Who knows, everyone walking could end up being a blessing in disguise

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I am starting to think the players dont trust Conroy
Well, he said he wanted youth and a re-tool, so they probably actually do trust him. They see that he's a man of his word, and isn't going to be competitive next year. Why would any of these guys want to play a year of re-tool/rebuild hockey instead of playing on a team that could be in the playoff mix.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wonder if they will get a better or worse return than what they paid for him?

B prospect (Heineman), late 1st and 5th. Probably similar.

Return before was valued on 2 1/2 years remaining on his deal. He doesn’t fetch in the same ballpark with 1 left

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am starting to believe Sutter caused a bigger rift then was let on among the players

Reactions: viper0220

Bond

May 10, 2012
Return before was valued on 2 1/2 years remaining on his deal. He doesn’t fetch in the same ballpark with 1 left
He'd easily get a late 1st and b prospect at the deadline and the Flames don't need to move him if they don't get something equivalent now.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I think you arrived at the right conclusion in your first sentence, but I don’t think you get the bolded cause right.

The border closing for so long, separating many from their families on the south side for the duration of the pandemic is easily the biggest factor but the border closing was a two-way, mutual agreement between both countries.

I don’t think, generally speaking, this is an issue of mask/vaccine mandates or lockdowns. I really think it boils down to the border and being unable to return to their homes.

He'd easily get a late 1st and b prospect at the deadline and the Flames don't need to move him if they don't get something equivalent now.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn’t.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Leafs fans are happy with 28th and a b prospect. It is not a crazy ask

I never said it’s crazy, I’m just not convinced he gets that much. The 28th seems like it’d be enough imo.

Wouldn’t be high on my priorities if I’m the Leafs though to get Toffoli. And I mean that as no disrespect. Limited assets, and bigger needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad