Seravalli: Toffoli will not re-sign in Calgary, wants to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I enjoy Flames misery as much as the next guy.

But f*** all these assholes. Hope they rot

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Can’t blame the players from wanting to leave that tire fire of a franchise. Good thing they signed Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar to those long expensive contracts.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Do you think Broberg and Bourgault are 1st round pick assets really? Was Jusso Valimaki a 1st round pick asset when we put him on waivers?
Well I guess we can write off Pelletier and Cornato, right?
Which one of the Oilers prospects missed an entire season or half of the 2021-22 season because of injuries? Which one of them is 23 years old( Like Valimaki was last year)?

Here comes the Sutter excuses....

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
He wants out because Sutter was fired. I'm hearing from a family friend of Toffoli that he was not happy with the way a lot of the team turned on Sutter. Toffoli loved Sutter.

Toffoli is all about winning and enjoyed how hard Sutter pushes players to perform. It seems the turning point was bringing Kadri and Huberdeau into the fold, as both of those players refused to play hard for the coach.

Reactions: Church Hill

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He wants out because Sutter was fired. I'm hearing from a family friend of Toffoli that he was not happy with the way a lot of the team turned on Sutter. Toffoli loved Sutter.

Toffoli is all about winning and enjoyed how hard Sutter pushes players to perform. It seems the turning point was bringing Kadri and Huberdeau into the fold, as both of those players refused to play hard for the coach.

Toffoli is a bit of a victim of circumstance here. If we had a better team then nobody would mind re-signing him to a reasonable contract but with what needs to happen with this franchise moving forward he should be one of the first to go. I respect him for not quitting like a lot of so called other leaders but it's time for him to go. Hopefully he can win another cup somewhere else.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Here are the conditions associated with the first-round selection acquired by Montreal:

1. In the event Calgary’s own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary’s own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida’s 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal’s option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida’s 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary’s own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida’s 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida’s 2025 first (1st) round choice).
Basically, if the Flames are bad, you're getting Florida's 2025 pick.
Not if Florida picks top 10 too…

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Man, could you imagine being Jonathan Huberdeau and leaving sunny Florida to sign long-term in Calgary only to have your worst offensive season ever, followed by this mass exodus? :oops:
At least he didn't do it on a team friendly deal

Not if Florida picks top 10 too…
We've already put our hopes on Florida drowning in the standings. Just when you think a top-12 selection is locked, that pick falls to 31, just like that. I for one won't put my hopes up on this scenario!

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well I guess we can write off Pelletier and Cornato, right?
Which one of the Oilers prospects missed an entire season or half of the 2021-22 season because of injuries? Which one of them is 23 years old( Like Valimaki was last year)?

Here comes the Sutter excuses....
No, Pelletier and Coronato have both gotten better and are worth a 1st. I'm just saying it's silly to say someone is worth a 1st because they were drafted there. Neither of those guys for Edmonton are worth a 1st. I'd take McLeod ahead of either of them and he was drafted with a 3rd round pick.

For Calgary Zary isn't worth a 1st anymore. Wolf is worth more than a 1st and was drafted with a 7th.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pageau and Bailey for Backlund and Toffoli.

Pageau 30, 3x5M left
Bailey 33, 1x5 M left

Backlund 34 1x5.35M left
Toffoli 31 1x4.25M left

Backlund/Bailey cancel out. CGY gets a younger C in Pageau with term to replace Backlund. NYI get Toffoli for scoring help on the wing.
Trying to dump 2 cap dump for useful players.
There's going to be many suitors for Toffoli. 2023 1st, 2024 1st for Toffoli with extension.

Pay up Toronto.
Toffoli can't sign his extension until July 1st, or i believe there's a way he can sign it after he's dealt to Toronto and before July 1st
Man, could you imagine being Jonathan Huberdeau and leaving sunny Florida to sign long-term in Calgary only to have your worst offensive season ever, followed by this mass exodus? :oops:
There's 10.5 million reasons he's probably ok with it

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I've wanted Tofolli in TO for a long time. I want to Treleive. I have a feeling other teams will easily outbid us though, the guy score 34g on a pretty tepid offence after all.

Maybe Lou makes a big run at him. Would look awfully nice on a PP with Barzal, Horvat, Nelson and Dobson/Pulock.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
You basically have to tag along an anchor to every premiere player and a pick. Unfortunately.

Anderson + hubs + 2nd

Weegar can move on his own

Kadri + 1st to Columbus

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
TLDR;

I thought Sutter was the sand in the Flames vaseline? and Tree is gone to the Leafs to bring this happiness there. So it’s not coaching or management.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I enjoy Flames misery as much as the next guy.

But f*** all these assholes. Hope they rot

You feel this way because this exact scenario is going to play out once Edmonton stops being competitive in the post McDrai era. Players just don't want to live in Canada imo. It used to be only Americans which didn't want to live up here, but even Canadians and Europeans now prefer US markets.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Let's ignore that the Oilers and Flames have never had a major trade.

To the Oilers: Tyler Toffoli and Rasmus Andersson

To the Flames: Cody Ceci, Kailer Yamamoto, 2024 1st(unprotected) Phillip Broberg, Xavier Bourgault, and 2025 2nd
Yamamoto and Ceci are terrible pieces. 24 1st, 25 2nd and Bourgeault for Toffoli.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
These Flames threads for those that don’t want to read through them:

Oiler fans:
Shaq/Kobe highlights flaming Calgary.

Calgary fans:
Majority have been calling for a proper rebuild for almost a decade.

These players are all doing this team a solid by asking out. Especially guys like Toffoli, Lindholm, Backlund and Hanifin; their values have never been higher over the past few years.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Pageau and Bailey for Backlund and Toffoli.

Pageau 30, 3x5M left
Bailey 33, 1x5 M left

Backlund 34 1x5.35M left
Toffoli 31 1x4.25M left

Backlund/Bailey cancel out. CGY gets a younger C in Pageau with term to replace Backlund. NYI get Toffoli for scoring help on the wing.
I have seen a lot of bad offers in this thread.... but yikes. This one takes the cake,

Well done! Thanks for the laugh. Getting younger with 30 year old in Pageau who has hit 20 goals once and never 50 points. I guess throwing in 33 year old Bailey is just a sweetener. Teams are lining up for a guy who can't hit 10 goals in a season.

Bravo!

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
For 2024, the Flames pick is top 19 protected. Habs option to take it if it's 20 to 32.

Where things get tricky for CGY with the pick they traded to MTL if they go full scorched earth is 2025. They are basically at the mercy of the Panthers. They would need FLA to NOT have a top 10 pick in 2024 or 2025. That is obviously a very likely scenario but it's still gotta be a concern if you are Conroy.
Who knew that Habs fans would be so invested in Florida's draft position for potentially 3 consecutive years.

Fla next year is the key one I think. Their 2024 pick belongs Philly (the Giroux trade). It is top 10 protected so if it is top 10 Fla keeps pick, Philly gets Fla 2025 pick and mtl gets Flames 2025 unless it is no 1 overall. Is it likely -no but with this Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde team who knows. Do we get 2022 Presidents cup winners, the 2023 team that needed Pittsburgh to lose to Hawks to sneak in or the 2023 playoff panthers? Could there be a Finals hangover? what Bob do we get next yr.

2025 Panthers pick to Calgary is lottery protected so I think Calgary gets it unless Panthers win lottery. Could it still be a high pick? Possibly, Panthers will have a lot of turnover. for the 2024-25 season they currently have only 6 skaters under contract? prospect pool and picks have all been traded away - Both Flames and Cats could suck in 2025- again possible.

Moral of story when acquiring draft picks its nice to acquire them 2+ years in the future- gives the team time to collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad