Toffoli vs Gallagher

Who you rather have?

• Total voters

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wingers who have terrible on-ice defensive results but put up big point totals - particularly on the power play - are overrated compared to wingers who play well in all three zones, dominate play, and are closer in 5 on 5 production than their simple point totals would suggest. Some of those guys like Ovechkin, Giroux, and Marner increase their teams' PP success; some don't. Dom's list uses too short a sample size, but he's basically right that players like Gallagher and Dadonov are generally underrated. Dadonov was a top 5 wing last year alone, and could be top 10 long-term. I'd have Gallagher in my top 20.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Wingers who have terrible on-ice defensive results but put up big point totals - particularly on the power play - are overrated compared to wingers who play well in all three zones, dominate play, and are closer in 5 on 5 production than their simple point totals would suggest. Some of those guys like Ovechkin, Giroux, and Marner increase their teams' PP success; some don't. Dom's list uses too short a sample size, but he's basically right that players like Gallagher and Dadonov are generally underrated. Dadonov was a top 5 wing last year alone, and could be top 10 long-term. I'd have Gallagher in my top 20.

So you're defending Eberle as a top 10 wing over Ovechkin then?

If Dadonov is a top 5 wing then by every measure so is Rantanen.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So you're defending Eberle as a top 10 wing over Ovechkin then?

If Dadonov is a top 5 wing then by every measure so is Rantanen.

I don't agree with Eberle's placement.

Dadonov's case as a top 5 wing is in no way related to Rantanen's. The one year sample is not the reason Dadonov has a case and Rantanen doesn't. Dadonov badly outproduced Barkov at 5 on 5, especially per minute played. Rantanen was badly outproduced by MacKinnon at 5 on 5 and produced like a fourth liner at 5 on 5 without him (1.2 p/60). Dadonov was 4th in the league in primary points per 60 last year. Rantanen was 108th among players who played a minimum of 800 minutes. Dadonov has excellent on-ice defensive results even when you regress for the presence of Barkov. Rantanen has terrible on-ice defensive results. The statistical case for Rantanen and Dadonov is not even close if you highly value 5 on 5 play, as I clearly stated above that I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad