Proposal: Toffoli to BUF

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think the value is lopsided in the Kings’ favor. If Buffalo is pushing to be a contender this year, I could see them being more interested in guys like Kempe (rfa) and Martinez (2 more years) more than picks.

Hell, I could even see a retained Dustin Brown helping Buffalo quite a bit (unrelated to the 7th overall - though I would hate to trade Brown).

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I think the value is lopsided in the Kings’ favor. If Buffalo is pushing to be a contender this year, I could see them being more interested in guys like Kempe (rfa) and Martinez (2 more years) more than picks.

Hell, I could even see a retained Dustin Brown helping Buffalo quite a bit (unrelated to the 7th overall - though I would hate to trade Brown).
Rumor is Kings org not trading Brown.I be shocked if Kempe is traded as well.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Draft Caufield at 7 and stick him next to Eichel in a few years.

I would love to see Toffoli in a package for that late 1st Buffalo has but you would not need to give up the 7th for that.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Toffoli would interest me from a Buffalo standpoint, the 7th OA, however, is out of the question for obvious reasons.
Sabres fans have suggested McCabe for Toffoli one for one which is probably fair value in a vacuum, Kings fans, however, have been less receptive to that.
Which brings me to the question: What are LA's needs?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm a big fan of Toffoli's game and he's being dragged through the ringer here mercilessly from folks who never watched him play.

With that said, Toffoli would be stupid to agree to an extension coming off his worst season. He knows he is better than that and he's going to use this last year to earn him a bigger contract, not settle for a low number now. If someone was able to convince him to an extension based on his current production, they'd be lucky to steal that contract.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m over Toffoli.

Maybe he’ll rebound but I don’t think the Kings should invest another four or five years after this year.

To inconsistent. Not enough output. Doesn’t effect the game much if not scoring goals.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I’ve been reading that Buffalo is looking for more offense so I was wondering what Sabres fans think of this:

To Buffalo:
Tyler Toffoli
LA’s 2nd RD 33OA

To Los Angeles:
BUF’s 1st RD 7th OA

BUF gets someone who should be able to score 30+ goals on the right team and LA’s 2nd RD pick which is basically a late 1st RD pick. At minimum, he should get 20+ goals. BUF’s 1st line would be gnarly:

Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli

LA gets another top 10 pick to help with the rebuild. Hopefully we land Byram with #5 and Caufield with #7.

Sabres fan, if you don’t like this... please counter offer with what it would take to get the 7th OA from you.

Would love this for LA but not realistic...very bold to go with LA's 2nd round pick and not even their 2nd first haha.

Only way LA ends up in the 7 spot is if they trade back.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I’m over Toffoli.

Maybe he’ll rebound but I don’t think the Kings should invest another four or five years after this year.

To inconsistent. Not enough output. Doesn’t effect the game much if not scoring goals.

To be honest, I doubt that Blake is eager to get rid of Toffoli this offseason. He's been a good trigger man for the Kings for a while now, outside of him and an aging Kovalchuk there is no one else that is on in the organization. With some up-and-coming young forwards, they might be able to get him going again soon. Metrics were on Toffoli's side last season. This is the perfect year to hang onto him and assess where you're at near the deadline. He could net you some assets or we could find a nice match for him somewhere else in the lineup and perhaps even think of extending. There's really no rush to deal him.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Toffoli would interest me from a Buffalo standpoint, the 7th OA, however, is out of the question for obvious reasons.
Sabres fans have suggested McCabe for Toffoli one for one which is probably fair value in a vacuum, Kings fans, however, have been less receptive to that.
Which brings me to the question: What are LA's needs?

Literally everything, as long as it's young and years away from taking up cap space. Hopefully with some potential. That's most likely why Toffoli won't go anywhere until the deadline. He has too far to bounce back to get value today. If he sucks next year too, then it doesn't really matter, if the best you can do today is a soon to be 26 year old LHD who needs a new contract.

Reactions: umbertovanek

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I’ve been reading that Buffalo is looking for more offense so I was wondering what Sabres fans think of this:

To Buffalo:
Tyler Toffoli
LA’s 2nd RD 33OA

To Los Angeles:
BUF’s 1st RD 7th OA

BUF gets someone who should be able to score 30+ goals on the right team and LA’s 2nd RD pick which is basically a late 1st RD pick. At minimum, he should get 20+ goals. BUF’s 1st line would be gnarly:

Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli

LA gets another top 10 pick to help with the rebuild. Hopefully we land Byram with #5 and Caufield with #7.

Sabres fan, if you don’t like this... please counter offer with what it would take to get the 7th OA from you.
We're still a rebuilding team too, with not much in the pipeline for offense...we're not trading a chance at Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras or Boldy.

The only pick Buffalo is trading, might be pick #31.

And Buffalo's first line is already gnarly, it was one of the best in the league last year... Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart (who is better than Toffoli)

My counter is pick #31 and a 6th round pick...for Toffoli and a 4th round pick.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We're still a rebuilding team too, with not much in the pipeline for offense...we're not trading a chance at Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras or Boldy.

The only pick Buffalo is trading, might be pick #31.

And Buffalo's first line is already gnarly, it was one of the best in the league last year... Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart (who is better than Toffoli)

My counter is pick #31 and a 6th round pick...for Toffoli and a 4th round pick.

your counter is pretty fair. Not sure I would do it in hope that LA can get a 1st and the TDL.

LA needs someone to play in their lineup and cannot rush their youth.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Would love this for LA but not realistic...very bold to go with LA's 2nd round pick and not even their 2nd first haha.

Only way LA ends up in the 7 spot is if they trade back.

I was going to use the 22nd pick at first but I wanted to see the reaction of the 33rd instead. I still think highly of Toffoli. He's had Carter or Kempe as his Center and nobody worth mentioning on his other wing. Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli would be scary.

But by the reactions, it doesn't seem like swapping the 33rd for the 22nd pick would have even moved the needle inch so I guess it doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad