Proposal: Toffoli to BUF

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
I’ve been reading that Buffalo is looking for more offense so I was wondering what Sabres fans think of this:

To Buffalo:
Tyler Toffoli
LA’s 2nd RD 33OA

To Los Angeles:
BUF’s 1st RD 7th OA

BUF gets someone who should be able to score 30+ goals on the right team and LA’s 2nd RD pick which is basically a late 1st RD pick. At minimum, he should get 20+ goals. BUF’s 1st line would be gnarly:

Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli

LA gets another top 10 pick to help with the rebuild. Hopefully we land Byram with #5 and Caufield with #7.

Sabres fan, if you don’t like this... please counter offer with what it would take to get the 7th OA from you.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The only asset the kings have that 7 would be on the table for is 5.
Sorry, not a good fit here.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You realize that Toffoli is a UFA in one year and coming off his worst season? And you're willing to trade the 7OA pick for that? Yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: hmc1987

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
You realize that Toffoli is a UFA in one year and coming off his worst season? And you're willing to trade the 7OA pic for that? Yikes!

Yes I understand he will be a UFA and I should have stated that in order for this to be a possibility, Toffoli would need to agree to an extension w/ BUF.

The entire LA team is coming off their worst year. But Toffoli has averaged 22.29 goals per season over the last 4 years while playing one of the worst offensive teams.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I’ve been reading that Buffalo is looking for more offense so I was wondering what Sabres fans think of this:

To Buffalo:
Tyler Toffoli
LA’s 2nd RD 33OA

To Los Angeles:
BUF’s 1st RD 7th OA

BUF gets someone who should be able to score 30+ goals on the right team and LA’s 2nd RD pick which is basically a late 1st RD pick. At minimum, he should get 20+ goals. BUF’s 1st line would be gnarly:

Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli

LA gets another top 10 pick to help with the rebuild. Hopefully we land Byram with #5 and Caufield with #7.

Sabres fan, if you don’t like this... please counter offer with what it would take to get the 7th OA from you.
He's coming off a 34 point season and is an impending UFA, do you honestly think this is a reasonable return? McCabe for Toffoli is much closer. Both players have shown flashes of being good players. Toffoli moreso than McCabe, but McCabe is an RFA so LA gets the additional years of team control.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yes I understand he will be a UFA and I should have stated that in order for this to be a possibility, Toffoli would need to agree to an extension w/ BUF.

The entire LA team is coming off their worst year. But Toffoli has averaged 22.29 goals per season over the last 4 years while playing one of the worst offensive teams.

Keep your 7OA pick and try to sign him as a UFA in one year if he improves his game this year. Trading for him now and signing him to a long-term extension could prove to be a total disaster. He was not good at all this past year and his skating and level of involvement were worse than in the past. Could he rebound? sure. Would I pay a premium asset and give him an extension before he did so? No way.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Can you name a 20-goal winger over the age of 25 you’d trade pick #5 for, contract or no contract?

The way this draft is tiered, there’s not a huge difference between #5 and #7. Think of what it would take to pry 5 from your cold, dead hands. That’s approximately what 7 is going to cost

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Even signed he doesn’t get a top 10 pick.

Go back and research what known top 10 picks got moved for players 26 and older with just one tramway from UFA.

Players drafted in top 10 have potential of being 30+ goal scores on a cheaper $$ per points made return.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think Toffoli would get something like

A 2nd
A 3rd
B-level Prospect

Similar to what skinner got but could even be less.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think Toffoli could work in Buffalo, but the only way to get the 7th overall would be to overpay stupidly. The pick isn't worth as much as it would take to pry it away.
I agree Buffalo is tweaking there rebuild now but they are still short a good starting goalie. Kings have needed a burn to the ground for a couple years the bandaids they have used failed them. So the top 10 pick is crucial for them if they can get a near NHL ready guy. But this draft is like so many, past the top two or three you have a project and some are better than others.

I really like Buffalo and hope they do well I would also like for them to go after Louie Domingue, the guy deserves another chance to be the man. Hutton is a nice guy and has flashes of being good but he is not a guy that will take Buffalo back to the playoffs I think Loui could.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I agree Buffalo is tweaking there rebuild now but they are still short a good starting goalie. Kings have needed a burn to the ground for a couple years the bandaids they have used failed them. So the top 10 pick is crucial for them if they can get a near NHL ready guy. But this draft is like so many, past the top two or three you have a project and some are better than others.

I really like Buffalo and hope they do well I would also like for them to go after Louie Domingue, the guy deserves another chance to be the man. Hutton is a nice guy and has flashes of being good but he is not a guy that will take Buffalo back to the playoffs I think Loui could.

Over the last several seasons, every goalie that's left Buffalo has immediately gotten better, and both members of our tandem last year got worse as the season wore on. Lehner even remarked about how he was actually being coached to stay on his angles in NYI. I'm looking forward to seeing Hutton and Ullmark with a different goalie coach.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Over the last several seasons, every goalie that's left Buffalo has immediately gotten better, and both members of our tandem last year got worse as the season wore on. Lehner even remarked about how he was actually being coached to stay on his angles in NYI. I'm looking forward to seeing Hutton and Ullmark with a different goalie coach.
Well Lehner did go to a team that has Mitch Korn as the goalie coach he is one of the best in the biz. Mitch developed Tomas Vohoun, Pekka Rinne, Turned Bradyin Holtby around to win a cup and now what he has done for Lehner....

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well Lehner did go to a team that has Mitch Korn as the goalie coach he is one of the best in the biz. Mitch developed Tomas Vohoun, Pekka Rinne, Turned Bradyin Holtby around to win a cup and now what he has done for Lehner....

There was also the whole dealing with his mental health/getting over his substance abuse issues there, but I think my point still stands. Ullmark and Hutton both started off strong and got worse the longer they worked with Buffalo's goalie coach (Hutton having come from outside the org, and Ullmark having come up from Rochester). For Ullmark:
October -- .935
November -- .922
December -- .915
January -- .902
February -- .889
March -- .884
April -- .958 (only played a single game)

Splitting his season into rough halves, October-January (his first 20 games), Ullmark had a .916sv%. Over the next 17 games, he had a .890.

For Hutton:
October -- .910
November -- .923
December -- .917
January -- .860
February -- .906
March -- .897
April -- .914 (only 2 games)

Doing the same rough halves for Hutton, he had a .917sv% from October-December (his first 28 games) and a .895 in the remaining 22.

Hutton and Ullmark had career sv%s of .915 and .917 before last season, respectively. And Ullmark is a young goalie (25yo) who had shown real potential---youngest goalie to win SHL goalie of the year since Lundqvist in his D+1 season, steadily improved season over season his 3 years in Rochester while performing solidly in his NHL call-ups, started off strong this year... And then Housley's goalie coach got to him.

ETA: There's this myth that Buffalo's early season winning came from "hot" goaltending. The reality is that it came from pretty average goaltending. And much of later losing was a byproduct of bad goaltending. I don't mean to absolve the rest of the roster, because there are obvious flaws with it, but the Sabres would likely have been at least a bubble team last year if they'd just gotten average goaltending throughout.

Mike Bales, the new goalie coach we just hired, did some good work with Pittsburgh's goalie prospects (Murray, in particular) and with Mrazek last year in Carolina. I'm hopeful he can get our guys back on track.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad