Post-Game Talk: Toffoli owns Nucks, Anderson is the One -- Habs win it 5-3!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It was nice for Toffoli to pass to Petry for the emtpy and forgetting about the hat trick this team is so dangerous if they stay healthy for the playoff they will be hard to stop.

He already screwed himself signing at only 4.25M for four years. Doesn't need to inflate his stats ;)

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Eller actually played a fair amount of games on wing in his last year with the Habs. He wanted more ice time and they gave it to him but at wing and he failed. Great 3C though! We traded him right before prime years. Kind of like how we traded for Anderson at age 26.

Galchenyuk's offensive ability was always good. His IQ held him back and he is too lazy to play D. Suzuki and KK are being groomed to play at both ends which is a game changer.

He's not a winger, not to mention his center was Galchenyuk who was flipflopped left-right-center himself.
Suzuki and KK have the ''luck'' of playing for a cerebral coach. I'm a big believer in the impact of coaches on development. It is no different to the impact some teachers can hold.
Michel Therrien....was absolute garbage for this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's not a winger, not to mention his center was Galchenyuk who was flipflopped left-right-center himself.
Suzuki and KK have the ''luck'' of playing for a cerebral coach. I'm a big believer in the impact of coaches on development. It is no different to the impact some teachers can hold.

I agree he is/was not a winger but that was their plan to give him more ice time. In that last season with us, he started on wing but struggled with PP time and more 5/5 top 6 minutes. Not a defense of our management, just some context into what happened in the last year with us.

And yeah, I was not a fan of Therrien either. He did have a good strategy in from of Price (Defense 1st and dumping pucks out our end to escape pressure) but it had limited results and he is not a good development coach. He's kind of a prick from what I can tell.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Except for that year where he put up 30/46 where he finally had more talent on his wings, and followed through the next season on the EGG line, until Therrien removed Gallagher from his line to give DD a boost.
From then on out, Eller was solely used as a defensive center.

Suzuki is undoubtedly better, not even comparable really, he's a special talent that wouldn't surprise me if he became a ppg player. The discussion with Eller is more about if he could have become a Danault type and I see no reason why not if we actually had used him the same way.

Lower hockey IQ and vision but, awesome puck possession (that leads nowhere). It's one thing to blame the lack of quality wingers on Eller's line but, he was still unable to get them the puck, even if it would have meant they fanned on scoring chances or missed the net by a mile when shooting.

Desharnais, by comparison, when he played on lower lines, set up at least a couple of gimme scoring chances a game that resulted in absolutely nothing because of the quality of those receiving the opportunities.

Eller was a quick, physical, N\S type player that wasn't very creative, TBH. Falsely elevating him to cult level should only be done once he's dead...

Reactions: Gael and Archijerej

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Fair question: Would the Habs won last night with Price? There was a chance the answer is no based on his play this season and for context his regular season numbers the last three years. For sure any backup we had the last couple of years would have been blownout in this game.

KK and Drouin made a lot happen last night but Toffoli and Anderson got most of the glory. If you looked at the scoresheet you'd have thought the former two had meh type games. Not so fast. They were outstanding last night.

I think sitting Romanov last night was a good idea. His play has been getting sloppy lately.

Almost all the Canadian teams have a good offense and a terrible defense. The Habs are the exception. We have a pretty solid crew back there. Who leads the team in plus minus? When i looked a couple of days ago it was Edmondson. He's been super solid back there and has lifted our PK.

I would love to see a game with us and the Lightninin/Bruins. I'm dying to know just how good we really are. (we are good).

I thought Danault had one of his best games of the year and was not rewarded on the scoresheet.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I recall Eller centering the EGG line and limiting Galchenyuk to a give and go role (to limit his role), often setting him up for nice checks from opponents.

That line worked strictly because of Gallagher.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
NEjBIBW.jpg

JB5c6Vm.gif

gOA0yXt.jpg

Discuss!
Your talent has no limit!!!
Awesome!!
Ryder!! lol
Does Sportsnet actually pay Galley for his colour commentary?

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree he is/was not a winger but that was their plan to give him more ice time. In that last season with us, he started on wing but struggled with PP time and more 5/5 top 6 minutes. Not a defense of our management, just some context into what happened in the last year with us.

And yeah, I was not a fan of Therrien either. He did have a good strategy in from of Price (Defense 1st and dumping pucks out our end to escape pressure) but it had limited results and he is not a good development coach. He's kind of a prick from what I can tell.

Calling Therrien's strategy ''defense first'' is a bit of an insult to defensive strategies. Just retreat and collapse in front of Price...it was lame and put us always behind the opposition chasing the puck.
He was lucky to have a team that had good players who could drive the play.

Reactions: azcanuck

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lower hockey IQ and vision but, awesome puck possession (that leads nowhere). It's one thing to blame the lack of quality wingers on Eller's line but, he was still unable to get them the puck, even if it would have meant they fanned on scoring chances or missed the net by a mile when shooting.

Desharnais, by comparison, when he played on lower lines, set up at least a couple of gimme scoring chances a game that resulted in absolutely nothing because of the quality of those receiving the opportunities.

Eller was a quick, physical, N\S type player that wasn't very creative, TBH. Falsely elevating him to cult level should only be done once he's dead...
No one is elevating Eller to cult level.
DD when used in lower roles was still not used like Eller. He was never given heavy defensive assignments.
If you have lower IQ and vision offensively, that's when being paired with the right wingers matters even further.
Someone like Suzuki, he'll be able to create things regardless because he's at a couple level higher.
Someone like Eller will need the right wingers to compliment his game. He's not going to carry his line offensively. No different to Danault, he won't carry his line.
I recall Eller centering the EGG line and limiting Galchenyuk to a give and go role (to limit his role), often setting him up for nice checks from opponents.

That line worked strictly because of Gallagher.
I think that's a tad unfair to both Galch/Eller, they played their part as well.
But let's take away Galch, replace him with Tatar, and give them 17-19min of ice time, pretty sure Eller would have improved his offensive development if that's how we used him in 13-14 following up his 30/46 season.

Reactions: No More Subban

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Calling Therrien's strategy ''defense first'' is a bit of an insult to defensive strategies. Just retreat and collapse in front of Price...it was lame and put us always behind the opposition chasing the puck.
He was lucky to have a team that had good players who could drive the play.

I'm pretty sure Michel Therrien is the only coach in NHL history to have two different Hart winning goalies. That tells you a lot about his coaching.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Your talent has no limit!!!
Awesome!!
Ryder!! lol
Does Sportsnet actually pay Galley for his colour commentary?

Actually, I can't take credit for that one. I was just lucky to find it and use it on a timely basis. Kudos to the guy who made it. Thanks for liking it. ;)

Jul 6, 2016
Eller...playing in a heavy defensive role with offensive phenoms like Brandon Prust..Jacob De La Rose...Devante Smith Pelly...Jiri Sekac..Dale Weise...
I wonder how oh how he couldn't develop his offensive game..
He never had an offensive game. He is a great third line player like he had ever was. Max Talbot too scored crucial goals in Finals.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Fair question: Would the Habs won last night with Price? There was a chance the answer is no based on his play this season and for context his regular season numbers the last three years. For sure any backup we had the last couple of years would have been blownout in this game.

No one is stopping that Pettersson shot. But Price has better rebound control than Allen so who knows if Roussel gets an easy rebound goal like that. I also feel Carey would be stronger on that 3rd goal. Yes I think he absolutely wins.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He never had an offensive game. He is a great third line player like he had ever was. Max Talbot too scored crucial goals in Finals.

Very few would have an offensive game playing with the likes of Devante Smith-Pelly and Brandon Prust. Or maybe Eller should have become a beast with Travis Moen on his wing.

Jul 6, 2016
Very few would have an offensive game playing with the likes of Devante Smith-Pelly and Brandon Prust. Or maybe Eller should have become a beast with Travis Moen on his wing.
His coaches have seen stuff that you cannot understand.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man oh man you are a busy beaver over there in mission control! Habs should take you on for PR.:clap:

You're way too kind, thank-you. Sometimes I make them and sometimes I find them. I just look for whatever has the most impact. The spidey one wasn't mine but credit to the guy who made it.

However, I will never beat your ratio of gifs per posts -- those little miniature buggers you always manage to dig up, have become a forum staple. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You're way to kind, thank-you. Sometimes I make them and sometimes I find them. I just look for whatever has the most impact. The spidey one wasn't mine but credit to the guy who made it.

However, I will never beat your ratio of gifs per posts -- those little miniature buggers you always manage to dig up, have become a forum staple. :)

That's just laziness on my part and convenience. Simplifies things as I have abnormally large fingers and striking the keys properly is taxing in the best of time let alone in a stupor.:)

Reactions: Runner77

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Is it our best roster in 20 years? I legitimately think so, I know we finished 1st with Carbonneau in the early 2000s but this team just feels special.
I think so too; I just want to point out that Carbo’s second season was FUN as hell. Our powerplay was beyond good. Markov Streit on the point, I mean JESUS that puck was moving quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad