Confirmed with Link: Toffoli (50% retained) off to Winnipeg for a 2024 3rd and 2025 2nd rounder per Seravalli

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Rango wasn't going to do this in NJ, he was stuck in the bottom 6 and there wasn't a way out for him. Stop whining about a player that outlived his usefulness to the team.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
calgary sees the 2/3 we got and come the summer will be like yeah you know what how bout you give us them on top of what we already agreed to a couple months ago.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
FWIW, there's already Calgary fans who are making up trade proposals for Shara to get traded out of there because he's playing his way to UFA. Good chance that Yegor gets moved next deadline at the worst if he keeps it up. Imagine we trade the second back to them for him next year. :laugh:
This is something I hadn't considered. Fitz may already have his eyes on next year's deadline. He doesn't want to use that pick on a player, he wants to either trade that pick for a goalie this draft or trade it for a roster upgrade next deadline.

Drafting a player at the end of the 2nd this year doesn't do anything for us. 2024 picks will vanish in June and we'll have to wait years to see dividends. But having an extra 2nd next year gives us considerably more time to find the right use for that pick.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It feels like there are two separate arguments:

1. If you look at the whole package from the initial trade and assets moving both ways, then yes, it's not great work from Fitz.
2. If you look at what needed to be done NOW, then I believe Fitz did the right thing.

Both can be true.

My biggest Devils issues are:

- Holtz's development (sitting a year??? crazy)
- Hope as a strategy for goal tending
- Hope as a strategy for defensive depth (mitigated by the Dougie injury, not knowing Siegs and Marino would look far worse)
- Absolutely stubborn PP game planning and evolution
- Team getting slower (mitigated by the loss of he who shall not be named)

But there's a TON of good in the development of some players, drafts (not great, but better) and generally better fan experience.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Who says damned if he does? Almost everyone here was in total agreement that he should sell.

It’s more like “damned if he overpays in 2023 for a rental winger and then damned if he turns around and undersells in 2024 a rental winger.”

I’m not saying meier and toffoli should be similar packages, they very obviously shouldn’t be. But he got the same deal (maaaaaybe a little bit less value) out of Tyler Toffoli than Anthony f***in Mantha brought back lol. That’s awful.
And when we acquired Toffoli, how was Fitz supposed to know we were going to fall off the cliff? Also, there was 0 guarantee that Sharangovich would do here what he's done in Calgary.

Fitz tried and it didn't work out. He recouped some costs back.

If you expect a GM to only hit and make excellent moves, you're deluded.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
No problem with the return. Apart from the odd trade where a team really wants a guy annd decides to overpay, more often than not fans overestimate the return and are disappointed.

Reasonable return for Toffoli, I’m sure Fitz would’ve taken more if he could’ve and this makes sense from a business and asset perspective.

Thank you

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Who says damned if he does? Almost everyone here was in total agreement that he should sell.

It’s more like “damned if he overpays in 2023 for a rental winger and then damned if he turns around and undersells in 2024 a rental winger.”

I’m not saying meier and toffoli should be similar packages, they very obviously shouldn’t be. But he got the same deal (maaaaaybe a little bit less value) out of Tyler Toffoli than Anthony f***in Mantha brought back lol. That’s awful.
Are we seriously calling the Meier trade an overpay now? Lmao nobody around the league seemed to think that at the time. Think of how disappointed SJS fans were at the time.

Also calling Meier a rental is just stupid and factually untrue.

I’ll ask you, what should Fitz have done with Toffoli instead?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Lol wow yeah, I wasn’t aware people would make that exact connection.

We let an actually proven good player walk for zero after he couldn’t cut it in the playoffs. That was met applause. We flip a guy (for a superior player) that had no role here that couldn’t even get in the lineup in the playoffs and Fitz bungled apparently?
One was in his early 30s with a history of being sat in the playoffs, one was in his early 20s and seemingly still developing. Do I need to say more, or you going to keep making this weird point.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I saw a tweet that called him "the worst GM in hockey" all cuz of a trade return for a guy who was gonna either walk for nothing or stay for way too much.

And he still might be back next year (but probably won't be after the playoffs prove he's nearly washed)!
he took a 112 point team and made them significantly worse than last year. slower and less skilled and then trades off a 26 goal scorer that has 20 games to crack 30 again for nothing. he still hasnt found a goalie and took 90% of the season to finally fire a coach who's team was playing some of the worst hockey in the NHL with one of the most talented top 6's in the league.

He never sent Vitek down when Ruff kept running him out there and kept costing us games. he wants to hold onto meh players because theyre young instead of selling high on them to get that giant hole in net filled that literally pissed an entire year of our core guys primes away.

not to mention the mcleod and foote signings.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And when we acquired Toffoli, how was Fitz supposed to know we were going to fall off the cliff? Also, there was 0 guarantee that Sharangovich would do here what he's done in Calgary.

He built this team. He should have had some notion that the goaltending wasn't going to be good enough or that Ruff was going to continue to do Ruff bullshit

Reactions: longislanddevil

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
dang 50% retained too! thats kinda similar return for vlad to florida no?

double woof on that fitzy

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023

I haven’t once brought up the Sharangovich trade. I liked it then, shit happens, didn’t work out, oh well.

I am talking about this trade. Baffling and beyond any reason the Devils couldn’t have gotten at least a 2024 2nd out of this.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
yea, so am I. dont f*** the season up so you dont get fleeced for a 30 goal scorer for nothing picks that don't help us.

Fitz f***ing sucks.
Wow, don’t f*** the season up? You seem to have all the solutions. You should be the next GM. Didn’t realize it was that simple

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

he should've taken the dougie money in dec and got a goalie. instead he didn't pull the trigger and will look desperate come the summer and the ask will be the same.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
He built this team. He should have had some notion that the goaltending wasn't going to be good enough or that Ruff was going to continue to do Ruff bullshit
I had faith the goaltending was going to be adequate this season before it started.

I dont think anyone expected the fall off.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Definitely has been Fitz's toughest season as a GM IMO - this is just the cherry on top. He failed the org this year in the exact way that he said you can't during his press conference - he hoped that it would get better. The good news is that he didn't give up anything that will set us back, so hopefully this is a learning experience .

It was pretty clear this team was not a cup contender, and he lost at least 2 weeks while the more premium assets were flowing with his indecision. I'm still a fan, but its clear that they really did not plan around the possibility the team takes a step back before becoming that SC contender.
He's been indecisive all year. Let Brunette walk, failed to get a goalie, took forever to can Lindy, wasn't sure whether to keep or trade Toff when they are clearly out of it. He agonized over firing Ruff at his press conference when it was clear to the world they needed a change quite a while ago. Just a bad job by Fitz this season. Hard to sugarcoat ineptitude.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I haven’t once brought up the Sharangovich trade. I liked it then, shit happens, didn’t work out, oh well.

I am talking about this trade. Baffling and beyond any reason the Devils couldn’t have gotten at least a 2024 2nd out of this.

A lot of teams had already traded their 2024 2nd, which was pointed out to you and ignored.

If the Devils are not looking to actually use this pick, having it be a 2025 pick makes it much more tradeable. Teams don't often do a whole lot at the draft with 2nd round picks.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
he should've taken the dougie money in dec and got a goalie. instead he didn't pull the trigger and will look desperate come the summer and the ask will be the same.
What deal didn’t he pull the trigger on?

Of all the goalies on the market and teams looking for goalies, how many have actually been traded?

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
He's been indecisive all year. Let Brunette walk, failed to get a goalie, took forever to can Lindy, wasn't sure whether to keep or trade Toff when they are clearly out of it. He agonized over firing Ruff at his press conference when it was clear to the world they needed a change quite a while ago. Just a bad job by Fitz this season. Hard to sugarcoat ineptitude.
No GM is going to stop an assistant coach from moving to be a head coach, it's simply not done. I think that if NAS didn't cone calling he would still be here. So the Brunette thing is a wash.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
A lot of teams had already traded their 2024 2nd, which was pointed out to you and ignored.

If the Devils are not looking to actually use this pick, having it be a 2025 pick makes it much more tradeable. Teams don't often do a whole lot at the draft with 2nd round picks.
If winnipeg wanted Toffoli, Fitz should've told them it's Montreal's 2nd or they can f*** themselves. If you offer the same deal (2024 3rd, 2025 2nd) to the universe you get 5 takers immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad