Toews...what is wrong with him?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sure you can bring up the Crosby case....zero points in his 5 games and even in plus minus and say that at least Toews is "beyter" since he has 3 assists in 6 games played and is +1...but the fact is both are stinking relative to their high pay scale as alkeged stars..well they are not starring ...they are stinking...meanwhile we have to put up with multi-point games from other teams' highly paid starts who are shining ..even McDavid who has not yet got the big bucks did in Calgary last night with a 2g 1a game...Seguin gets 4 points to star in a Dallas victory over FLA...so where oh where is our greatest "star" Toews in 6 games? Worse than meh....stinking is the only way to describe it...if he was generating several scoring chances a game and just being stymied by goalies or bad luck with posts and cross-border I might excuse the lack of impact starring production...but he is not generating much...not looking dangerous..instead he seems to be skating at half-speed ...gets knocked down and off pucks too easily. ..taking lazy penalties..just Not looking god at all..I have not watched Crosby and his.lack of impact but I presume he too is playing way off form...so what gives with these 2 "top stars" and faces of the NHL and their dreadful starts?Fantasy players who picked them are well disappointed...and fans of their teams respectively are very disappointed and CONCERNED about their failures to impact games so far.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Anyone who has followed this team since he has been here should know that he always starts slow. And I really don't care if he is scoring or not right now, wake me up when he isn't scoring down the stretch and in the playoffs.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
6 games already played, it's ~6% into 100+ games season, what's wrong with him.
HF50, couple of months later, Seguin and McDavid will be lying on the beach already while Toews will be still playing hockey.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sure you can bring up the Crosby case....zero points in his 5 games and even in plus minus and say that at least Toews is "beyter" since he has 3 assists in 6 games played and is +1...but the fact is both are stinking relative to their high pay scale as alkeged stars..well they are not starring ...they are stinking...meanwhile we have to put up with multi-point games from other teams' highly paid starts who are shining ..even McDavid who has not yet got the big bucks did in Calgary last night with a 2g 1a game...Seguin gets 4 points to star in a Dallas victory over FLA...so where oh where is our greatest "star" Toews in 6 games? Worse than meh....stinking is the only way to describe it...if he was generating several scoring chances a game and just being stymied by goalies or bad luck with posts and cross-border I might excuse the lack of impact starring production...but he is not generating much...not looking dangerous..instead he seems to be skating at half-speed ...gets knocked down and off pucks too easily. ..taking lazy penalties..just Not looking god at all..I have not watched Crosby and his.lack of impact but I presume he too is playing way off form...so what gives with these 2 "top stars" and faces of the NHL and their dreadful starts?Fantasy players who picked them are well disappointed...and fans of their teams respectively are very disappointed and CONCERNED about their failures to impact games so far.

Toews is an amazing hockey player but unfortunately 10.5 mill is a lot of money to try to live up to.
How will Chicago fans feel if he pots 65pts and the hawks have a 1st round exit?

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Toews is an amazing hockey player but unfortunately 10.5 mill is a lot of money to try to live up to.
How will Chicago fans feel if he pots 65pts and the hawks have a 1st round exit?

Maybe it's different than in Toronto or in other teams where 1st line is main scoring line but for the Blackhawks our 2nd line with Kane is pure scoring line, they usually start shifts in o-zone and play against ops worst lines (at least in games with last change right).Hawks expect as much goals as possible from them as they don't have any other job and they ie. don't play PK.
Toews 1st line is scoring AND shutdown line.He will probably never score 80-100 pts in this system but ops elite forwards won't boost their scoring stats playing against him.

4EbNEhy.png

Last edited:

mban

Dec 23, 2014
Toronto
He told Strombo in that interview that he didn't practice at all this summer, so I'm not surprised it's taking him a while to get back inot the groove.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Anybody expecting Jonathan Toews to live up to a 10.5 million dollar contract by way of raw point production is kidding themselves.

He's paid to swallow other teams top players whole while contributing solid to strong offensive numbers.

He always starts the season slow in terms of point production. The concerning thing is that he's been middling to bad possession wise through 6 games as well.

But he's Jonathan ****ing Toews. Id say he's earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Between last season's demonstration that this team's core can 'turn it on' as they like and the short off-season, I wouldnt be shocked if we saw several more levels from all our stars in the future when games start mattering more.

Hawks818

Sep 6, 2015
Chicago
But he's Jonathan ****ing Toews. Id say he's earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Between last season's demonstration that this team's core can 'turn it on' as they like and the short off-season, I wouldnt be shocked if we saw several more levels from all our stars in the future when games start mattering more.

I'm sure LA thought the same and then they missed the playoffs altogether. That's my worry this season. As they can't muster up the energy to play the good teams in this league, they'll dig themselves a hole they can't dig out of.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...if Toews did not practice all summer...I guess Crosby did not either...they were too busy running to the bank...sorry, excuses do not register when we know what standards of play top stars are capable of ...because we have seen their A game efforts before.
In the past Toews had slow starts ...yes..but it always was accompanied by "snake bit" or bad luck ...because there were scoring chances generated by him..but so far in 6GP...sorry. ..very few such chances for him...Blame lack of producing LW? SORRY but such highly paid star is supposed to make his linemates better not the other way around..You can tell when Toews is not playing well...His skating is slower and less energetic...too much watching and chasing...not hard enough on the pucks...that is what I have seen through 6 games so far

He has only 11 shots in 6GP and few of these were grade A chances .
So to me this is not even a typical slow start

He is not stymied by hot goalies stealing goals from him
..he has not hit posts and criss-bars (BTW...Panarin has hit at least 3 as I recall...Maybe even 4 already ...so as good as Panarin has been with better luck he might have had 3 more goals and if he had not been stymied by goalies on 2 break-aaways ...Maybe 2 more than even those misses)...point is....Panarin has had more grade A misses than Toews has had grade A chances.

.be honest...he has Stunk compared to his own standards...this is not to say Toews will ever be a point a game guy...but we expect around 30 goals and 35-50 assists...at his standard of play now it is hard to see him getting even those normal standards..He needs to get better...PRONTO!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even elite players go through dry spells, he's been fine in every other aspect of the game besides scoring so far, so I'm not concerned.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
At least we can agree that of the NHL'S top 2 best players going into this season where Crosby still rated #1 by the pundits and Toews rated 2 nd best player in the NHL (due to his overall impact) that Toews has at least done "better" than Crosby so far...but of course both are definitely struggling pn offense.. BUT if you had to vet the house on which of the 2 gets a goal before the other this year...would you bet on Toews? I have not watched Crosby to see if he is just as lethargic as Toews or whether he just has had bad luck (the snake bit excuse)...Toews has not been snake bit. ..but in my opinion he has been worse than meh...stinking is the most apt description. .If at least I saw more hustle and talent from him in 6 games then I would be off his case and just attribute the bad luck/snake bit it will even out over the season excuse..but if I were Q ,I hag-skate him till he shows me at least more urgency and compete...not coasting and losing to his checkers..

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He told Strombo in that interview that he didn't practice at all this summer, so I'm not surprised it's taking him a while to get back inot the groove.

Oooh yeah let's get this narrative going.

Jonathan Toews, doesn't care enough to practice in the summer? Explains his 6 game slump!

Read more to find out why Toews doesn't care about the Blackhawks success, or you as a fan...

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
He is sacrificing his own production in order to set up Bickell for average performance, allowing Bowman to trade him midseason

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Do we know why he did not practice this summer? Chances are he needed to recover after the playoffs. I would rather Toews be off now and able to play late in the season compared to hot now and worn down at the end. Thread is basically crying wolf or saying the sky is falling when it is not.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Do we know why he did not practice this summer? Chances are he needed to recover after the playoffs. I would rather Toews be off now and able to play late in the season compared to hot now and worn down at the end. Thread is basically crying wolf or saying the sky is falling when it is not.

That is a very stupid argument, so does that mean that Kane and Hossa will be warn out at the end of the season because they worked on their game during the summer? This whole warn out at the end of the season crap is just false and should be put to rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad