Toews or Marian Hossa?

Toews or Marian Hossa

• Total voters

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The "you can't build around a winger" argument has been debunked. Give me Hossa.

How has it been debunked?

By WSH's cup win?

It took WSH over a decade to build around literally the best winger in the league and one of the best wingers of all time, and at the end of the day they still required two elite centers, one of which was the leading scorer for their team in the playoffs...

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
LOL. Let's see Toews PPG avg once he turns 37.

It's already dipped to .74Ptspg the last 3 years.

And better defensively???

I don't see how this is arguable.

Toews.

Selke finishes: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5

Takeaways/giveaways
626/292

Hossa

Selke finishes: 5, 7, 10 (With multiple selke finishes outside the top ten)

Takeaways/giveaways
577/278

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
C
I don't see how this is arguable.

Toews.

Selke finishes: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5

Takeaways/giveaways
626/292

Hossa

Selke finishes: 5, 7, 10 (With multiple selke finishes outside the top ten)

Takeaways/giveaways
577/278
Centers have a huge bias in voting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
C

It's almost like the position is inherently more defensive in nature...Hossa was great without the pill and a thief on the backcheck but Toews did the yeomans work in the corners, down low and in front of the cage. It's really not close as to who was more impactful on that end of the ice.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Hossa was a better player but was more of a supporting guy who couldn't do it in the playoffs as the main guy with Ottawa

While it's true about Hossa, I think perception may be skewed a bit by Toews always being on a deep team and also in his prime, and Hossa managing to switch between SCF losers in 08/09.

Toews had 5 runs where he played 10 games or more, he had 4 top3, and 1 1st place scoring finish on his own team. 0 of Toews runs were at age 30 or older.
Hossa had 8 runs where he played 10 games or more, he had 4 top3, and 1 1st place scoring finish on his own team. 5 of Hossa runs were at age 30 or older.

PP Opportunites weren't even close. I'm not sure why or how scoring was up this year but it was. Thrashers had 529 PP chances in 06 vs 260 for The Blackhawks this year. It goes to show you it's still not really comparable. And it's no coincidence Hossa had career years in 06 and 07 by the numbers.

True, obviously Hossa's numbers benefit from the higher scoring environment during these two seasons, but it's still worth noting that his ES PPG during both of these seasons is higher than anything Toews has posted over a season close to 82 games.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
LOL. Let's see Toews PPG avg once he turns 37.

It's already dipped to .74Ptspg the last 3 years.

And better defensively???
Yes. Hossa was one of the best defensive wingers in the game. Meanwhile Toews was one of the best defensive centers in the game. Toews has the slight edge but Hoss was no slouch by any means.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
C

People on this forum can never make up their mind over whether individual awards are flawed due to voting practices and questionable intelligence from the voters, or if they're immutable proof of one player's superiority over another. :laugh:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
People on this forum can never make up their mind over whether individual awards are flawed due to voting practices and questionable intelligence from the voters, or if they're immutable proof of one player's superiority over another. :laugh:

Sure they can. It's whichever one supports the argument they are making at that time. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad