Toews invited to Team Canada camp

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Toews grabs a goal in the exhibition game against Finland. Hopefully when the other NHLers start joining up he can keeo his spot.

Last edited:

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Toews grabs a goal in the exhibition game against Finland. Hopefully when the other NHLers stat joining up he can keeo his spot.

Ya...if not, it´s just because of team depth. He´s already scored a goal in an exhibition game which Canada lost 2:4. Don´t know what else Murray wants to see from such a young player.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
Color me stunned.

That's the thing though. Toews is good, but special he is not.

What have you witnessed that make you say that? Not attacking. I am really curious because I don't get to see him much.

I have only seen him in the Frozen Four .

His game was subtle but outstanding. He seemed to be one of the few players that was aware of where the puck was going to be before it was there. He really seemed to be reading the play. Very good when he doesn't have the puck.

And when he did have the puck he acted quick. He seemed to know wheat to do with it in a flash.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
What have you witnessed that make you say that? Not attacking. I am really curious because I don't get to see him much.

I have only seen him in the Frozen Four .

His game was subtle but outstanding. He seemed to be one of the few players that was aware of where the puck was going to be before it was there. He really seemed to be reading the play. Very good when he doesn't have the puck.

And when he did have the puck he acted quick. He seemed to know wheat to do with it in a flash.

I agree, I've seen him take it to my Gophers about 6/7 times now. Great instinct for the puck. I think he'll do well at the next level (please turn pro). IMO he's more ready for the NHL than Kessel was last yr.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Color me stunned.

That's the thing though. Toews is good, but special he is not.

I've been watching this kid since he was 6 years old. Believe me, he is special.

How can a guy be the captain of Team Western, Team Canada Under 18's, gold medal winner and leading scorer in both these tourneys, win two WJC and be an assistant captain at 18, lead Team Canada to the gold as an 18 year old and not be at least suspected of being a special player.

He has now been selected for Team Canada for crying out loud. Are all these hockey people, i.e., coaches and GM's, somehow missing something?

Who else can you identify who has accomplished this much at such a young age?

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

The problem with Toews is that what he does is not always that spectacular. Those shootout goals were even kind of surprising to me and I like Toews.

What I have seen from his game that is special is all the little things. His atttention to detail, his work with and without the puck is magnificient and something you rarely see from a player that young. At the WJCs he would often, take the puck away from someone, create a chance and if it was broken up, within seconds he would have the puck back on a his stick trying something different. He would make little plays that showed unbelievable patience and smarts, and create lots of chances whole he was on the ice.

Now I've never seen him play at UND, but my guess is a lot more of his plays turn into points when he is playing with players who are more familiar with his style of playmaking. He doesn't always make the most obvious play or the most spectacular play, but usually he makes the best play even if it's soemthing you would have never thought of.

He also has a very good ability to finish plays. He's by no means a prolific goal scorer, but he can put the puck in the net.

I think it's funny that anytime a kid has some defensive responsibility in his game, it automatically means he is not a special player. His specialness is just not seen in his speed or shot or stickhandling, which are all things he is good at. He is special in that he thinks the game better than 99.9% of players his age, and better than most players period. That combined with being pretty good at everything else makes him quite a player. Might be interesting to see just how much he can do with a high calibre of talent around him. Personally, I think with his level of maturity, he will show us a lot of what his capable of.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
The problem with Toews is that what he does is not always that spectacular. Those shootout goals were even kind of surprising to me and I like Toews.

What I have seen from his game that is special is all the little things. His atttention to detail, his work with and without the puck is magnificient and something you rarely see from a player that young. At the WJCs he would often, take the puck away from someone, create a chance and if it was broken up, within seconds he would have the puck back on a his stick trying something different. He would make little plays that showed unbelievable patience and smarts, and create lots of chances whole he was on the ice.

Now I've never seen him play at UND, but my guess is a lot more of his plays turn into points when he is playing with players who are more familiar with his style of playmaking. He doesn't always make the most obvious play or the most spectacular play, but usually he makes the best play even if it's soemthing you would have never thought of.

He also has a very good ability to finish plays. He's by no means a prolific goal scorer, but he can put the puck in the net.

I think it's funny that anytime a kid has some defensive responsibility in his game, it automatically means he is not a special player. His specialness is just not seen in his speed or shot or stickhandling, which are all things he is good at. He is special in that he thinks the game better than 99.9% of players his age, and better than most players period. That combined with being pretty good at everything else makes him quite a player. Might be interesting to see just how much he can do with a high calibre of talent around him. Personally, I think with his level of maturity, he will show us a lot of what his capable of.

Your right. He doesn't try to dangle the puck between a pair of legs when a more simple but just as effective play is available.

That is the difference between Toews and the rest of his peers. He is certainly capable of doing it since I've seen it often enough. He just won't do it if there are other, higher percentage options.

There are too many people on this board who are impressed by the flash and dash of certain guys and don't understand that dangling the puck particularly at either blue line is simply the wrong choice and puts the rest of the team at more risk.

Another outstanding skill (that is becoming more and more important in the new NHL) is his ability to protect the puck. He is uncanny in his ability to hold onto it until one of his linemates can get open. Once that happens the pass is usually tape to tape, often from impossible angles.

Bill_Crosby*

I am not saying that Canada as a nation sucks, that you live in the worst country in the world or something like that. Its not a attack on Canada.

It does though, I know because I was born and lived here my entire life.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
maybe they put him on the team just for shootouts. honestly, the guy was 5 for 5 in the WJC and he shot post-in everytime. I´d take him just for that.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Let me be the first to say I hope he has a great tournament, but I didn't expect this many people to turn down Yzerman. :shakehead

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Another outstanding skill (that is becoming more and more important in the new NHL) is his ability to protect the puck. He is uncanny in his ability to hold onto it until one of his linemates can get open. Once that happens the pass is usually tape to tape, often from impossible angles.

Absolutely, and it's not just physical, he will make little moves that buy him time, he's patient enough not to have to try to make things happen all the time. He let's things happen.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Toews hardly looked out of place today. Still getting up to speed, but he was playing with Doan and Nash at times, which is an indication Andy Murray has confidence in him. He was also on the ice in key situations down the stretch and got some PP time.

After Canada scored the go ahead goal mid way through the Third, Germany called a timeout and you could see Toews talking to Murray as he was sent out on the first shift following the goal. Toews looks very confident and poised, and willing to learn and take in everything he can from the experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad