Toews invited to Team Canada camp

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think that's pretty cool. Why not let him try? Being a kid he will probably work twice as hard for this opportunity. Backstrom played for Sweden last year.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Well even if Toews doesn't play in the actual tournament it'll be a great experience for him.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Great idea IMO. Let him learn from the experience. Both the Hawks and Canada will benefit from it in the long run.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A good move by Canada. They have IMO been really bad at taking in players not having made the NHL, or even yet been drafted, for the WCH. Something they used to do before. Gretz, Lemiuxe and Lindros for example all played there before the NHL/beeing drafted.

The tempo in the NHL is higher then in the WCH, much higher. With tempo I mean fast turns, play gooing back and forth, time to make decisions ect.

But the speed in a WCH is unbeliveble. Its a great experience for a young kid. The game got a extremely high "low" pace, and there is a ton of skill on all hands.

Like playing in a NHL PO's is a unbeliveble experince for a young kid, due to the furious tempo and battle level, the WCH is also a great experience that defenitly helps developing a young player. It pushes a player so much. You need to have great speed under your skates all the time. You can't get-by by just beeing smart.

I would be really happy if Towes made it. If Canada starts bringing their brightest shinning stars to the WCH's before they make the NHL, like Russia for example always does, it would bring another dimension to the WCH. A great tournament to start with.

toastman344*

A good move by Canada. They have IMO been really bad at taking in players not having made the NHL, or even yet been drafted, for the WCH. Something they used to do before. Gretz, Lemiuxe and Lindros for example all played there before the NHL/beeing drafted.

Lindros played for our Nats/OG team, prior to being an NHLer...and likewise played at 18 for one of our Canada Cup Teams...But Not Gretzky and Lemieux...

Likewise, let's not forget that our top young stars ...tend to enter the NHL sooner, at say 18...whereas Top Euros are usually 20-21 before they're NHLers...

So what if a Euro from the RHF or SEL plays in the WC at 18 or 19 ?....How is that different than say....Crosby playing at the WC's last year for Canada at 18 ?...Or J. Staal this year...

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
did chipchura and latendresse do the same thing last year?

I seem to recall that (Pogge might have been involved too). Obviously, those guys were just there for the camp, and didn't actually compete for a spot on the team.

I think this is the same case here. Toews will go to camp, but probably not primarily there to make the team, mainly to get experience. But who knows, if he's the best player there, he might get a shot?

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Don't be too surprised if he does make it. He will certainly not be a defensive liability like most young guys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The U.S. is doing something similar with the likes of the Johnsons, Kessel, Nathan Davis and Paul Stastny. The U.S. brass could have gone out and plugged in some more plumbers, but instead went with some skilled youth. While winning this year's tourney is a goal, this is also a set-up for 2010 in Vancouver.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
I like to see that he'll participate in training camp, It'll give him good experience, and personaly he's currently one of my favorite prospects.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Don't be too surprised if he does make it. He will certainly not be a defensive liability like most young guys.

I would be completely STUNNED if he were to make it. Believe me, he has little to no chance over established NHLers. He's just there for a warm body for the time being.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Now that Pittsburgh have been knocked out can Crosby, Staal et all be added to the roster?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lindros played for our Nats/OG team, prior to being an NHLer...and likewise played at 18 for one of our Canada Cup Teams...But Not Gretzky and Lemieux...

Likewise, let's not forget that our top young stars ...tend to enter the NHL sooner, at say 18...whereas Top Euros are usually 20-21 before they're NHLers...

So what if a Euro from the RHF or SEL plays in the WC at 18 or 19 ?....How is that different than say....Crosby playing at the WC's last year for Canada at 18 ?...Or J. Staal this year...

Bäckström last season and AO the season before that played in the WCH before they were drafted.

Gretz played in 79', after 9 games in the WHA. Lemixue played after his first NHL season, thats correct.

All I am saying is that Crosby for example two seasons ago could have contributed for Team Canada in the WCH.

I am not saying that Canada as a nation sucks, that you live in the worst country in the world or something like that. Its not a attack on Canada.

My point is that the best young players, like Crosby, Ovechkin and co are good enough to play at that level when they are 17-18 y/o. The style of hockey suits kids like that. I have through the years seens players like Mats Sundin, Forsberg, Jokinen, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin to name a few really contribute in a WCH before beeing drafted, before playing in the NHL.

Canada used to bring players that age to the WCH, but they don't anymore. From entertainment point of view I don't like it, from a player development point of view I don't like it, from success on the ice for Canada point of view I don't like it.

Though hopefully they will go back to the approch they had 15 years ago, and take into consideration the best young players in the CHL for the WCH. And every 3-4 year when there comes along a really special kid, select him for the tournament. Just like Canada did before, just like other countrys in Europe always have.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Like I said already, I predict he makes it. I have that much faith in this kid. If he doesn't he will be one of the last to get taken off the roster.

Just watch.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Like I said already, I predict he makes it. I have that much faith in this kid. If he doesn't he will be one of the last to get taken off the roster.

Just watch.

I wouldn't hold your breathe man, he definetly should not be on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad