Proposal: Toews for Faulk

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
After seeing what Dustin Brown did this season with a new head coach, I wonder if Toews doesn't have a new lease on life if they swapped out Q for a fresh voice. At this point, Carolina wouldn't take that contract for futures-only...nor would many (if any) NHL clubs trying to be competitive and under the cap.

Reactions: Ulysses31

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I’m just curious to see the response on this, I’m not advocating for this trade. Obviously there are a lot of reasons the Hawks wouldn’t do this, so I don’t think we need the “lol they’re not trading their captain” type comments.

[...]

Why post a trade you aren't "advocating"?

If you are "just curious to see the response", then why tell people what they can't respond with? Clearly you know what the response will be.

I'll just go create some trades that favour the Leafs, and cover my back by stipulating that no one can complain because I'm not advocating the trade, and then I'll demand that no one point out that it's in Toronto's favour. Oh wait, that's stupid.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a die-hard Carolina fan, I don’t think Toews is the answer. His contract is an anchor and he hasn’t driven offense in a few years. The best option would be throwing cash at Tavares, but if that doesn’t pan out, trading Faulk for someone besides Toews might be a good idea. A guy like Ryan O’Reilly would be a better bet, in my opinion.

@kilowatt Did you get your season ticket renewal package yet?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Why post a trade you aren't "advocating"?

If you are "just curious to see the response", then why tell people what they can't respond with? Clearly you know what the response will be.

I'll just go create some trades that favour the Leafs, and cover my back by stipulating that no one can complain because I'm not advocating the trade, and then I'll demand that no one point out that it's in Toronto's favour. Oh wait, that's stupid.

I only mentioned the typical Blackhawks fan response because I already know that argument, so it does nothing for me.

I was curious about other views, like people who said his contract is too much was helpful in me understanding his value to other teams.

Knowing that you're among the group of elite hockey minds [Leafs fans], I'm curious of your view on the trade.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
After seeing what Dustin Brown did this season with a new head coach, I wonder if Toews doesn't have a new lease on life if they swapped out Q for a fresh voice. At this point, Carolina wouldn't take that contract for futures-only...nor would many (if any) NHL clubs trying to be competitive and under the cap.

The problem is, Chicago isn't going with a new coach. Q is remaining in place, and Toews is also only committed to getting faster with words rather than actions.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Unless Chicago is ready to retain 40-50% of the contract, Toews isn' ever going anywhere.

What an awful, awful contract.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I only mentioned the typical Blackhawks fan response because I already know that argument, so it does nothing for me.

I was curious about other views, like people who said his contract is too much was helpful in me understanding his value to other teams.

Knowing that you're among the group of elite hockey minds [Leafs fans], I'm curious of your view on the trade.

So even though you aren't "advocating" the trade that you suggested (what does that even mean, by the way), and even though you knew what the response would be from one fanbase, you still posted the thread to find out if the other fanbase would dislike it too?

Are there not other threads about Toews' value that you could have gathered this from? Like the ones calling it untradeable, and one of the worst contracts in the league?

Here I found some for you. It took 7 seconds on google.

link
link
link
link

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Only chance I see of moving Toews is when his actual salary (not cap hit) starts to go down. At that point you could trade him to a budget team that has cap space to spare, like Ottawa, Arizona etc.

2017-2018 13.8M
2018-2019 12M
2019-2020 9.8M
2020-2021 7M
2021-2022 6.9M
2022-2023 6.9M

He's basically untradeable until 2019-2020

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As a die-hard Carolina fan, I don’t think Toews is the answer. His contract is an anchor and he hasn’t driven offense in a few years. The best option would be throwing cash at Tavares, but if that doesn’t pan out, trading Faulk for someone besides Toews might be a good idea. A guy like Ryan O’Reilly would be a better bet, in my opinion.

I'm impressed it only took you four hours and the firing of a team legend to become a die hard

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Realistically Chicago would probably have to pay to move Toews even though he's still a first line player, and I can't see them even asking him to waive his NTC tbh. He's retiring a Hawk and rightfully so, helped lead them to ten cups, gets way more flack than he deserves

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’m just curious to see the response on this, I’m not advocating for this trade. Obviously there are a lot of reasons the Hawks wouldn’t do this, so I don’t think we need the “lol they’re not trading their captain” type comments.

CAR:
Jonathan Toews

CHI:
Justin Faulk+

I don’t know what the plus would be. Maybe like Rask, Bean, less than that?
Yeah in a Faulk for Toews trade? Try the add being Darling at 0 retention

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
what do you think toews value on the open market would be?? 8 or 8.5?? thats only 2 mil over. thats not to much when the money decreases over time if you are team that doesnt spend to the cap. Hes still a number 1/2 center that will shut down other top centers penalty kill and win faceoffs. hes in the johanson oreilly zetterberg territory right now. He def has value to teams with the right salary cap circumstances

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
NMCs and NTCs aren't as restrictive as you are making it seem. They don't mean you can't trade a guy, they just mean the trade needs to be approved by the player.

Former players have mentioned that if a team is coming to a player saying "we want to trade you", most times the player will give in and waive. There are some cases where a player will exercise the clause just to prevent going to certain cities, but more times than not, they will waive if a team asks them to.

As Jamal Mayers said, no player wants to stick with a team when they're not wanted.

You're comparing Jamal Mayers who likely at the time had just part of season to till he contract ran out to Toews who is established in Chicago and 3 time Cup winner.? And it not like Toews would be going to contender, but to a team who have continually finished out of the playoffs..
PS it's a bad trade for Canes anyway, over paying and have Toews cap hit for a number of years. Better ways to spend money.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
what do you think toews value on the open market would be?? 8 or 8.5?? thats only 2 mil over. thats not to much when the money decreases over time if you are team that doesnt spend to the cap. Hes still a number 1/2 center that will shut down other top centers penalty kill and win faceoffs. hes in the johanson oreilly zetterberg territory right now. He def has value to teams with the right salary cap circumstances

A guy who hasn't reached 60pts in 3 years and looks worse by each passing year does not get close to $8.5M

Reactions: DaveG

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You're comparing Jamal Mayers who likely at the time had just part of season to till he contract ran out to Toews who is established in Chicago and 3 time Cup winner.? And it not like Toews would be going to contender, but to a team who have continually finished out of the playoffs..
PS it's a bad trade for Canes anyway, over paying and have Toews cap hit for a number of years. Better ways to spend money.

No, Mayers works in Chicago media now and explained that NMCs and NTCs aren't that big of a hurdle for general managers.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A guy who hasn't reached 60pts in 3 years and looks worse by each passing year does not get close to $8.5M
Ryan Johansen recently signed for 8mil.
He has 7 more points than Toews over the last 3 years, in 15 more games.
Plays with far superior linemates than Toews.
And the cap will be 5 more million next year than it was this past year.

You are out of touch if you don't think a player like Toews gets 8+mil on the open market.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ryan Johansen recently signed for 8mil.
He has 7 more points than Toews over the last 3 years, in 15 more games.
Plays with far superior linemates than Toews.
And the cap will be 5 more million next year than it was this past year.

You are out of touch if you don't think a player like Toews gets 8+mil on the open market.

You have one example, a player who is 5 years younger in his prime, and had seasons of 60+ and 70+ just prior to signing the contract. Nevermind that it isn't even considered a good contract.

So no, low end #1Cs are not paid $8.5M when they're 30+ years old.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Canes would be a lot better overpaying Statsny to three year deal and keep Faulk. Or overpay Statsny and trade Faulk for assets. Not saying you could sign the UFA wanted, but cap wise and asset wise, it is the preferred way to build you lineup.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You have one example, a player who is 5 years younger in his prime, and had seasons of 60+ and 70+ just prior to signing the contract. Nevermind that it isn't even considered a good contract.

So no, low end #1Cs are not paid $8.5M when they're 30+ years old.
All I need is one example. Patrick Marleau just got 6mil for 3 yrs and he is 38. Toews would get 8mil, don't doubt the GMs out there. His play right now would be worth it as well. He isn't nearly as bad as people are making him out to be.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All I need is one example. Patrick Marleau just got 6mil for 3 yrs and he is 38. Toews would get 8mil, don't doubt the GMs out there. His play right now would be worth it as well. He isn't nearly as bad as people are making him out to be.

Still waiting for more than one example of 55-60 pt players making $8.5....

That's basically what Marleau was and as you said, he got $6...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad