Proposal: Toews for Faulk

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I’m just curious to see the response on this, I’m not advocating for this trade. Obviously there are a lot of reasons the Hawks wouldn’t do this, so I don’t think we need the “lol they’re not trading their captain” type comments.

CAR:
Jonathan Toews

CHI:
Justin Faulk+

I don’t know what the plus would be. Maybe like Rask, Bean, less than that?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Always felt Faulk was overrated...plus should be significant

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I’m just curious to see the response on this, I’m not advocating for this trade. Obviously there are a lot of reasons the Hawks wouldn’t do this, so I don’t think we need the “lol they’re not trading their captain” type comments.

CAR:
Jonathan Toews

CHI:
Justin Faulk+

I don’t know what the plus would be. Maybe like Rask, Bean, less than that?
lol they're not trading for that cap hit

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jonathan Toews - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

$12 mil is too much for Carolina to handle, even with salary going back the other way. Carolina has restricted free agents to sign and other holes to fill. Even if Chicago were to trade him after his bonus is paid, the $9.8 mil they would have to pay for 19-20 is still on the high side.

He starts to become an attractive target after July 1st, 2019; he would be owed ~$25 mil in real salary over 4 years at that point. Carolina should be able to handle that.

Reactions: DaveG

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if Toews was a build-around center at this point the contract wouldn't be scary, Tavares will get that money or better, so I don't think that Toews is what Carolina needs

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Toews has fallen of and yet his contract wont. 10.5 million is an anchor unless Toews can rebound.

Thats something to consider... I didnt realize Toews has fallen off. I missed a lot of hockey this year due to living in Hawaii

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Always felt Faulk was overrated...plus should be significant

Interesting ... overrated Dman for a very overrated forward with a horrid contract. Dude only has two 30-goal seasons to his resume; one 70-point season in 2010-11. He is basically a mid 50-point producer making over 10 mill a year. You think the plus should be significant? LOL. Stop overrating Toews. He is a non factor now.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
As for the trade I dont see anyone touching Toews contract without close to max retension

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wouldn't trade pick for Toews contract, at all. I certainly wouldn't trade Faulk for him. At 50% retained it's at least more palatable but I haven't seen anything out of the guy that suggests he's ever getting back to being the player he was - and if he was you wouldn't be trading him.

You're gonna have to pay someone to take that contract, no one will want anything to do with it. It wouldn't be easy to trade Kane and he's still at the top of his game.

Jan 21, 2018
Vegas is the only team I could see trading for Toews and not crippling their team.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As a die-hard Carolina fan, I don’t think Toews is the answer. His contract is an anchor and he hasn’t driven offense in a few years. The best option would be throwing cash at Tavares, but if that doesn’t pan out, trading Faulk for someone besides Toews might be a good idea. A guy like Ryan O’Reilly would be a better bet, in my opinion.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Toews has fallen of and yet his contract wont. 10.5 million is an anchor unless Toews can rebound.
You're right that there is no doubt his contract has turned into an albatross but his point production hasn't really dropped off that much from his season average. He's starting to miss games from injury on a more regular basis. His shooting % has definitely taken a hit. His contract looks even worse when you compare him to Patrick Kane who makes the same money and the Hawks are stuck with contract for 5 more years! I'd keep Faulk.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maybe folks should look at players and see they have NMCs or restrictive NTC before posting trades.

NMCs and NTCs aren't as restrictive as you are making it seem. They don't mean you can't trade a guy, they just mean the trade needs to be approved by the player.

Former players have mentioned that if a team is coming to a player saying "we want to trade you", most times the player will give in and waive. There are some cases where a player will exercise the clause just to prevent going to certain cities, but more times than not, they will waive if a team asks them to.

As Jamal Mayers said, no player wants to stick with a team when they're not wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad