Line Combos: Toews and Kane need to play together.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
The most obvious way to turn things around in the NHl is to asset management. Chicago my second favourite team has not done that.

Tying up players turns said players into white elephants.

Bowman has to start trading assets, problem is, only guy worth anything on Chicago is a guy who stil has a lot of shake and bake and business. Patrick Kane.

Last guy you would think would endure. . package him with seabrooke and MAKE. Get a future, this team will be last place overall next year, i dont want to see that for this team.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
New lines idea, bury the Toews-Saad line in the defensive zone and have two other lines get 60%+ offensive zone starts. Any offense that Toews-Saad provide will be a bonus, and hopefully they shut down a lot of opponent scoring.

Hartman-Schmaltz-Kane
DeBrincat-Anisimov-DuClair
Saad-Toews-xx
Hinostroza-Kampf-Jurco

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
New lines idea, bury the Toews-Saad line in the defensive zone and have two other lines get 60%+ offensive zone starts. Any offense that Toews-Saad provide will be a bonus, and hopefully they shut down a lot of opponent scoring.

Hartman-Schmaltz-Kane
DeBrincat-Anisimov-DuClair
Saad-Toews-xx
Hinostroza-Kampf-Jurco

Grab Kruger and have Toews line and Kruger line take all D-zone starts and top two lines can flirt with 75-80% o-zone starts.

Hinostroza - Schmaltz - Kane
Debrincat - AA - Duclair
Hartman - Kruger - Kampf
Saad - Toews - Hayden

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Grab Kruger and have Toews line and Kruger line take all D-zone starts and top two lines can flirt with 75-80% o-zone starts.

Hinostroza - Schmaltz - Kane
Debrincat - AA - Duclair
Hartman - Kruger - Kampf
Saad - Toews - Hayden

Screw 75-80%, let's just go 95-100% O-zone starts for the top two.

Reactions: Rolo

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The most obvious way to turn things around in the NHl is to asset management. Chicago my second favourite team has not done that.

Tying up players turns said players into white elephants.

Bowman has to start trading assets, problem is, only guy worth anything on Chicago is a guy who stil has a lot of shake and bake and business. Patrick Kane.

Last guy you would think would endure. . package him with seabrooke and MAKE. Get a future, this team will be last place overall next year, i dont want to see that for this team.

problem is, in order to entice a team to take on Seabs and his contract, esp his yr in the length. it is going to take a top prospect plus top draft picks in order to make this trade ..

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
You can't right off this team until new coach comes in.. It can often be a failure (see Buffalo) or a success (see Pittsburgh/Boston)

But IMO, best case scenario, with everything playing at 80-100% of their best we should expect:

Saad (55pts) - Toews (65pts) - Duclair (45pts)
Debrincat (55pts) - Schmaltz (65pts) - Kane (85pts)
Hartman (30pts) - Anisimov (35pts) - Hinostroza (35pts)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Kampf (20pts) - Hayden (20pts)

Keith (40pts) - Murphy (15pts)
Forsling (30pts) - Rutta (30pts)
Kempny/Oesterle (20pts) - Seabrook (30pts)

This is just point predictions.. D-zone coverage will need to be greatly improved and a healthy CC.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You can't right off this team until new coach comes in.. It can often be a failure (see Buffalo) or a success (see Pittsburgh/Boston)

But IMO, best case scenario, with everything playing at 80-100% of their best we should expect:

Saad (55pts) - Toews (65pts) - Duclair (45pts)
Debrincat (55pts) - Schmaltz (65pts) - Kane (85pts)
Hartman (30pts) - Anisimov (35pts) - Hinostroza (35pts)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Kampf (20pts) - Hayden (20pts)

Keith (40pts) - Murphy (15pts)
Forsling (30pts) - Rutta (30pts)
Kempny/Oesterle (20pts) - Seabrook (30pts)

This is just point predictions.. D-zone coverage will need to be greatly improved and a healthy CC.

Agreed on your coaching point, this team needs a new leader, may as well be the coach.

Dahlin and Zadina as Hawks projections, please.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Agreed on your coaching point, this team needs a new leader, may as well be the coach.

Dahlin and Zadina as Hawks projections, please.

That's unrealistic at this point. They're going to go too three.

It'd be amazing for the lottery balls to land in the Hawks favor, but I'm not ready to pencil either of those top guys into any lineup until we know the Hawks will pick in the top three.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Can Zadina carry Toews back to his 65+pt form?
imo who knows. this is a Red Herring kind of a question without an answer. no one can positively answer that question.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
imo who knows. this is a Red Herring kind of a question without an answer. no one can positively answer that question.

Not sure I understand what you mean, so I looked up the definitions just to ensure I'm not crazy.

1. a herring cured by salting and slow smoking to a dark brown color​

2. something that distracts attention from the real issue​

So, I'm 97% certain you're not implying his question is a salted and smoked piece of fish.

But if that's the case, then the second definition doesn't make sense either. Given that @Rolo posted point predictions in his lineup just a few posts prior, I don't see how his question is distracting from the conversation.

Hmm, maybe you had a third definition in mind.

Reactions: RayP

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
D-zone coverage will need to be greatly improved

100%. The d is lacking just from a talent side, but I think the forward defensive coverage has been pretty poor as well. Obviously Hossa was missed in that regard but it seems like a team wide issue of the forwards not being strong on the back check.

Reactions: Rolo

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was listening to podcasts following the Carolina game, and heard two drastically different takes.

Pat Boyle on the NBC Chicago podcast said Toews and Kane are both better when they're playing on different lines, and wants to see them split up.

James Neveau on the Madhouse podcast said he likes Toews and Kane together, and wants to see that line stick.

What do you think?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I was listening to podcasts following the Carolina game, and heard two drastically different takes.

Pat Boyle on the NBC Chicago podcast said Toews and Kane are both better when they're playing on different lines, and wants to see them split up.

James Neveau on the Madhouse podcast said he likes Toews and Kane together, and wants to see that line stick.

What do you think?
I don't think there's a right answer one way or the other. I don't mean that as a cop out but it's whatever is best for the team. I guess in a perfect world I'd lean towards them being split up and one facing lessor competition but it all depends on how all of the lines are doing. Putting them together would likely be good for both of their production but if you don't have a good 2nd and 3rd line than what's the point.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
At this point in their careers ( Kane and Toews ) especially Toews I think it depends upon with whom Toews can actually raise his level of play with. When Toews was Toews it was best to play them separately except for special applications ( like playoffs etc ) but now with his decline in play it comes down to how to best employ the lines to at least have a chance at even keeping up with the opposition. So long story short ... play Toews and Kane together if that arrangement of lines is giving the team the best chance for success .... again all that said at this point in time is kind of a moot point seeing as we really need ( big picture ) to drop down in the standings to get the best pick available for our retool.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
with a Hossa in our lineup, we could split them up, without him we have nothing really else to help play with Toews...Kane and Toews should have been stuck together a while ago IMO

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Hawks don't have the personnel to play Toews and Kane together. When they used to do this, they could rely on Bolland matching other team's top lines. Without a very good checking center to take the pressure off a Toews/Kane line, you get career worst corgis.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Hawks don't have the personnel to play Toews and Kane together. When they used to do this, they could rely on Bolland matching other team's top lines. Without a very good checking center to take the pressure off a Toews/Kane line, you get career worst corgis.
Sign a guy like Jay Beagle

Hayden-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Duclair
Debrincat-Anisimov-Hinostroza
Jurco-Beagle-Kampf

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
with a Hossa in our lineup, we could split them up, without him we have nothing really else to help play with Toews...Kane and Toews should have been stuck together a while ago IMO

I’ve been thinking about this again today. I think you were spot on. If Toews can’t have Hossa, he needs Kane.

Saad alone won’t do it, at least if you’re expecting first line production.

To @dk2k’s point, you absolutely need a fantastic checking line center if you want to play Kane with Toews, effectively removing Toews from a shutdown role.

I hope that, along with a good defenseman, are the priority signings tomorrow.

I don’t really want to see Saad with Toews and Kane though, I think he’d be better off solidifying a DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Saad second line.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’ve been thinking about this again today. I think you were spot on. If Toews can’t have Hossa, he needs Kane.

Saad alone won’t do it, at least if you’re expecting first line production.

To @dk2k’s point, you absolutely need a fantastic checking line center if you want to play Kane with Toews, effectively removing Toews from a shutdown role.

I hope that, along with a good defenseman, are the priority signings tomorrow.

I don’t really want to see Saad with Toews and Kane though, I think he’d be better off solidifying a DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Saad second line.
we were able to do more Kane and Toews back then because of Hoss....Hossa was just so damn important and versatile to this team, as well as Sharpie who really could float around a lineup as well regardless of the shit we gave him his last year here before being sent to Dallas.

But you are right, if we land a center that can play 3rd line shutdown role, then we can put Toews and Kane together again. If we keep Schmaltz at C, then keep him and Cat together, that is a must as well...just need one of Sikura or Hayden to really step it up, or land another free agent that can split 2nd/3rd line LW.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad