Speculation: Toews and Kane extensions

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
It seems to be the common sense opinion that Patrick Kane is worth more than Jonathan Toews. This is completely false. Jonathan Toews is a +127, penalty killing, faceoff winning center.

Anyone who would rather have Kane than Toews is not serious.

If given the choice between Ovechkin or Crosby, I'd pick Toews, Perry or Datsuk.

LandofLincoln*

It seems to be the common sense opinion that Patrick Kane is worth more than Jonathan Toews. This is completely false. Jonathan Toews is a +127, penalty killing, faceoff winning center.

If given the choice between Ovechkin or Crosby, I'd pick Toews, Perry or Datsuk.

1. Crosby
2. Datsyuk in his prime
3. Ovechkin
4. Toews
5. Perry

Patrick Kane is capable of being better than Toews and he is much better this year. Overall, I would draft Toews ahead of Kane that's me personally. Patrick Kane making more money than Toews has a good chance of happening. Comparing their games is just ridiculous they are completely different. Measuring who I would pay more I think Kane deserves 500,000 more a season than Toews.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Not worried about resigning Kane or Toews. They will get the same. Kane is just doing Toews a favor and driving up the ticket price. Kane will get what he deserves while Toews might get more than he deserves.

The guy I'm worried about is Saad. I think he likes Chicago but that guy is going to get paid!

Yes, in 2010, the Sharks made us choose between Niemi and Hjalmarsson. I fear that the Hawks may face a similar choice between Saad and Leddy.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
The amazing fact about current team is they have already won 2 cups with the key nucleus.The team of Bobby Hull Stan makita Piere Pilot who won 3 norris and the great goalie Glen Hall.They won 1 single cup.Impossible to believe

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
I doubt it. They have pieces they can move for relief. Someone like Oduya would be really easy to pawn off.

I think you're probably right. The only player they really need to bring back after this year is Raanta, and I'm using the word "need" loosely. Morin, Pirri, and Smith should all come back with a basic offer sheet. Bollig can come back cheap or walk, makes no difference to me. I'm seeing this team coming back next year at 69 million, maybe less, depending on how much Raanta needs to be paid. I'm picturing something like 3 yrs, 6 million.

Assuming you let both Oduya and Roszival walk, that clears 5.5 million. And hopefully, you get another 8 million in cap expansion.

So I think you have maybe 13 million to distribute between Kane, Toews, Saad, Leddy, two defensemen (Perhaps Clendening and Dahlbeck) and 3-4 third and fourth liners. That's a tight squeeze. If Kane and Toews have caphits pushing 10 million, that would mean 3.7 m more for each (7.4 between them). Saad has probably 3-4 million coming his way. Leddy perhaps has another 1 to 1.5 million coming.

That puts you right up there. And you've still got to think about Kruger, two defensemen, a second line center (probably Terravainen or McNeill), and 2-3 third and fourth liners.

I see four possibilities:

1) the cap expands more than I am estimating,
2) Toews, Kane, Saad and Leddy collectively get less money than I am estimating,
3) they clear a major salary off the books (e.g. Hossa, Seabrook, Bickell, Crawford),
4) Somebody offer-sheets Saad or Leddy and they lose him.

CertainAffinity*

Every year I make the same prediction, and every year I'm right:

This season, Patrick Kane will score more points than Jonathan Toews, but Jonathan Toews will be more important to the team's success.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Hope so. But if I had to choose I would keep Saad. As it stands.

I understand your feelings, but there's no way. They Hawks are almost certainly not bringing back Oduya or Roszival. And Keith and Seabrook aren't getting any younger. Saad might be a better player, but he's more expendable than Leddy. I feel sure that Stan Bowman would choose Leddy over Saad if it came down to that.

CertainAffinity*

I understand your feelings, but there's no way. They Hawks are almost certainly not bringing back Oduya or Roszival. And Keith and Seabrook aren't getting any younger. Saad might be a better player, but he's more expendable than Leddy. I feel sure that Stan Bowman would choose Leddy over Saad if it came down to that.

I'm not sure. Saad has shown much faster progression than Leddy has in much less time. Hossa isn't getting any younger, and Saad is basically a proto-Hossa waiting in the wings to take that spot when Hossa finally calls it a career (which, don't fool yourself, is going to happen before his contract is up, probably courtesy of LTIR).

Leddy is still problematic under a forecheck. He has tremendous offensive upside but is still, STILL being sheltered as far as zone starts and match-ups. We're not going to re-up a guy that can't move past the 5th defensemen slot for a ton of money. At least I hope not.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
1. Crosby
2. Datsyuk in his prime
3. Ovechkin
4. Toews
5. Perry

Patrick Kane is capable of being better than Toews and he is much better this year. Overall, I would draft Toews ahead of Kane that's me personally. Patrick Kane making more money than Toews has a good chance of happening. Comparing their games is just ridiculous they are completely different. Measuring who I would pay more I think Kane deserves 500,000 more a season than Toews.

Assuming they were all in the same 18 y.o. draft class and that I have my current perspective on their careers, I would choose them in the following order...

1. Toews
2. Datsyuk
3. Crosby
4. Perry
5. Stamkos
6. Hossa

I don't want ANYTHING to do with Ovechkin, who makes too much money, doesn't backcheck or penalty kill, and is simply all flash and no substance. I don't think a team in the salary cap era can win with Alex Ovechkin on it.

I think Mike Babcock perfectly defined Jonathan Toews' existence during the 2010 Olympics when he said his best player was anyone who he put on the Toews line. Toews makes everyone around him better. And I don't mean that in some esoteric leadership sense. He wins faceoffs, back checks, goes to dirty areas, wins board battles, and it's simply impossible to see that game-in-game-out, see how it pays off and not imitate it. Jonathan Toews is Death To Hockey Punks.

Without Toews and Hossa, I think Kane would be just another Edmonton Oilers type punk.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
I'm not sure. Saad has shown much faster progression than Leddy has in much less time. Hossa isn't getting any younger, and Saad is basically a proto-Hossa waiting in the wings to take that spot when Hossa finally calls it a career (which, don't fool yourself, is going to happen before his contract is up, probably courtesy of LTIR).

Leddy is still problematic under a forecheck. He has tremendous offensive upside but is still, STILL being sheltered as far as zone starts and match-ups. We're not going to re-up a guy that can't move past the 5th defensemen slot for a ton of money. At least I hope not.

Defensemen often take longer to develop, and the development in Leddy's game has been tremendous. He's come a long way since the 11-12 season when they prematurely tried to put him into Campbell's role. Do you remember that? The only reason Leddy hasn't moved past the 5th slot is because the Blackhawks have an utterly ridiculous top four.

Don't forget that Bowman let Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien and Niemi go in order to keep Hjalmarsson who was older**, less accomplished, and had less upside than Nick Leddy. There is no way that Bowman keeps Saad over Leddy. I think he'll find a way to keep both, but I feel certain that Leddy is going nowhere.

I mean, Stan Bowman let go of Ladd and Niemi to keep Hjalmarsson. His priorities are pretty clear.

**CORRECTION: Hjalmarsson was younger in 2010 than Leddy and Saad will be when their contracts expire. Oops.

Last edited:

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Perry would in no way be 4th either.

When you look at the Anaheim roster, how do you explain the fact that they are 57-19-11 in the last two years (125 pts in 87 games)? They also have the remarkable distinction of being 4-0-0 against the Blackhawks over that time.

Corey Perry is an absolute beast. I have nightmares about that guy. I am tempted to put him first on this list. I would much sooner move him up than down. He simply takes over hockey games.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Assuming they were all in the same 18 y.o. draft class and that I have my current perspective on their careers, I would choose them in the following order...

1. Toews
2. Datsyuk
3. Crosby
4. Perry
5. Stamkos
6. Hossa

I don't want ANYTHING to do with Ovechkin, who makes too much money, doesn't backcheck or penalty kill, and is simply all flash and no substance. I don't think a team in the salary cap era can win with Alex Ovechkin on it.

I think Mike Babcock perfectly defined Jonathan Toews' existence during the 2010 Olympics when he said his best player was anyone who he put on the Toews line. Toews makes everyone around him better. And I don't mean that in some esoteric leadership sense. He wins faceoffs, back checks, goes to dirty areas, wins board battles, and it's simply impossible to see that game-in-game-out, see how it pays off and not imitate it. Jonathan Toews is Death To Hockey Punks.

Without Toews and Hossa, I think Kane would be just another Edmonton Oilers type punk.

Giant ????? to everything in this post.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
When you look at the Anaheim roster, how do you explain the fact that they are 57-19-11 in the last two years (125 pts in 87 games)? They also have the remarkable distinction of being 4-0-0 against the Blackhawks over that time.

Corey Perry is an absolute beast. I have nightmares about that guy. I am tempted to put him first on this list. I would much sooner move him up than down. He simply takes over hockey games.

I completely disagree. He doesn't even belong in the top 5.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Giant ????? to everything in this post.

I really like two way play and, for all it's flaws, corsi.

I completely disagree. He doesn't even belong in the top 5.

When I watch Anaheim play, I see just a few players turning a fairly weak roster into the second best team in the NHL. I'm very big on Perry and also Getzlaf. They are the only team that I can see knocking off the Hawks. I don't think anyone in the NHL gives the Hawks fits like Perry. And it's not just a strange matchup (like the trouble the Hawks have sometimes had with Edmonton or Colorado). Perry is just really good.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
you guys shouldn't worry. Bowman knows what he is doing and they will both stay. If not, it is their decision and we can't do anything against that. They will get the money here and as much as anywhere else. It's up to them

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00