Speculation: Toews and Kane extensions

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The one upside to Kane and Toews going all in with an 11 or 12 million contract, is that it would force Bowman to get rid of some of Q's safety blankets and force him to start pushing through young talent.

No more Handzus or Roszival, or Brookbank, hell Bollig might get cut to save a dime (and it's not like Bowman has shown any love for the guy, he's just Q's favorite slug).

:laugh:

You act like Q signed these guys and not Bowman. What do you mean he hasn't shown Bollig any love? If he didn't like him he'd waive him.

Fact is, guys like Bollig and Handzus allow the Hawks to keep guys like Pirri and Morin off the roster until their deals are extended, at a cheaper rate than if they were here putting up crazy points. So what you take away from them, they're able to give to Kane and Toews.

Bowman is a pretty smart guy :)

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
:laugh:

You act like Q signed these guys and not Bowman. What do you mean he hasn't shown Bollig any love? If he didn't like him he'd waive him.

Fact is, guys like Bollig and Handzus allow the Hawks to keep guys like Pirri and Morin off the roster until their deals are extended, at a cheaper rate than if they were here putting up crazy points. So what you take away from them, they're able to give to Kane and Toews.

Bowman is a pretty smart guy :)

How is this a win/win. Savvy perhaps but how would you feel if you were being treated this way.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
How is this a win/win. Savvy perhaps but how would you feel if you were being treated this way.

like I need to play my ass off to get on the team. if you make yourself indispensable ain't Noone gonna keep you off the team

LandofLincoln*

back to the extensions and 8 years

Patrick Kane 11/1988 birth date, and 3/1988 for Toews so Jonathan is older by 8 months.

If both are given 8 year deals and play through their contracts that makes them 33 year old Chicago Blackhawks the last year of the deal. Marian Hossa is 34 years old this year.

It will be interesting to see. Both guys probably get into the Hall of Fame the way they are playing. Bowman needs to keep one foot on the ground but also one foot on their necks.:sarcasm: Will Winnipeg or Buffalo be contenders and try to sweep hometown guys out of Chicago? :sarcasm:

Will Kane or Toews sign identical 5 year deals in 2022 and have children together? :sarcasm::sarcasm: Five more years signs them until 38 years old

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
like I need to play my ass off to get on the team. if you make yourself indispensable ain't Noone gonna keep you off the team

I think you're missing the point. The original quote suggests that the better they play the less chance they have to stick. If I were being sent down because I "score a ton" I would feel thats a ****** way to run things. Right or wrong, whether that's effective business practice or not. When you play well you naturally want to be rewarded not punished

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If you were the agent for player K and the team said they only wanted to extend at the same pay as player T. ..but player K "improved" to his best year ever and finished
with 32 pts more than player T despite the fact he was on line #2 while player T was on line #1, while player T showed no improvement over prior levels...would you then accept the team's offer at just the same pay they want to give player T? Well Kane is on pace for 103 pts while Toews has dropped off to only a prjected 71 pts...so if that continues and ends as projected,can you as Kane's agent accept the equal value thesis of The Hawks? That despite the huge scoring gap, Toews's other value on faceoffs and as a centre and the little things defensively like take-aways make up for this huge gap in scoring? I do not think if it was any other 2 players on a different team being so compared that any agent could accept equal pay offerr IF the scoring gap was so huge between 2 players..it might be ok if that gap was just 10-15 pts..but a whopping 32 differential if the projections hold? I think if I were Toews's agent I would be advising him to pick up his scoring pace for the balance of this season...cause this time maybe there will be no equal pay offer..or Kane may force some higher wage differential to re-sign and not be insulted that a plateau player gets the same as he who excelled to the very top scoring echelon of guys in the league.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If you were the agent for player K and the team said they only wanted to extend at the same pay as player T. ..but player K "improved" to his best year ever and finished
with 32 pts more than player T despite the fact he was on line #2 while player T was on line #1, while player T showed no improvement over prior levels...would you then accept the team's offer at just the same pay they want to give player T? Well Kane is on pace for 103 pts while Toews has dropped off to only a prjected 71 pts...so if that continues and ends as projected,can you as Kane's agent accept the equal value thesis of The Hawks? That despite the huge scoring gap, Toews's other value on faceoffs and as a centre and the little things defensively like take-aways make up for this huge gap in scoring? I do not think if it was any other 2 players on a different team being so compared that any agent could accept equal pay offerr IF the scoring gap was so huge between 2 players..it might be ok if that gap was just 10-15 pts..but a whopping 32 differential if the projections hold? I think if I were Toews's agent I would be advising him to pick up his scoring pace for the balance of this season...cause this time maybe there will be no equal pay offer..or Kane may force some higher wage differential to re-sign and not be insulted that a plateau player gets the same as he who excelled to the very top scoring echelon of guys in the league.

Tough to say. I think Kane would definitely get more on the open market, especially if he keeps this pace up.

But with the Hawks, I can see them signing identical deals again, regardless of this season's point differential. Maybe Kane will get a little more like with Perry and Getzlaf.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

Unless Q has it out of you. He's kept many a player out of games and off the active roster due to questionable (at best) rationale.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Toews and Kane have the same agent. That likely adds a little something to the conversation.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Toews is a lock to stay. His hot girlfriend is from Chicago. :naughty: Kane is more 60/40. (Him settling down himself is great for him though. No idea where his girl is from, but he loves Chicago. Always comes back every summer)

LandofLincoln*

Unless Q has it out of you. He's kept many a player out of games and off the active roster due to questionable (at best) rationale.

Q has been trying to keep Kane down. He hasn't paired him consistent line mates all year. He finally has chemistry with Versteeg, but I'm thinking come January it will be Saad Pirri Kane. They keep mixing his line Bickell Nordstrom Kane, Morin Shaw Kane it doen't matter the kid is a machine. Black Ace line should be the name of Kane's second line. You give him Rockford guys and he scores anyway.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Is it after the July free agency in 2014 they can start negotiating on a new deal? Or is it already after this season ends. Not that it really matters, just curious.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Q has been trying to keep Kane down. He hasn't paired him consistent line mates all year. He finally has chemistry with Versteeg, but I'm thinking come January it will be Saad Pirri Kane. They keep mixing his line Bickell Nordstrom Kane, Morin Shaw Kane it doen't matter the kid is a machine. Black Ace line should be the name of Kane's second line. You give him Rockford guys and he scores anyway.

Except that Q gave him Toews and he scored less. When are people going to understand that in the regular season you give Kane his line, tell his line mates to give him the puck all game and he scores at elite levels. But it's more likely that the HOF wants to put down one of his best players and hurt his team.

buttercuppy

Jun 12, 2013
Except that Q gave him Toews and he scored less. When are people going to understand that in the regular season you give Kane his line, tell his line mates to give him the puck all game and he scores at elite levels.
Hossa-Toews-Sharp takes the brunt of the opposing team's shut-down line, which gives Kane (plus apparently whomever you want to throw on his line) more space to create scoring opportunities. The brilliant thing about this strategy is that this kind of lets Chicago roll two top lines, so it's 1A and 1B. It only works because Kane is capable of both playmaking (creating opportunities for his teammates) and goalscoring (a recent-ish development). It's a win-win situation.

re: contracts. Honestly, I think Toews should make more money, but have a shorter term contract. His style of play is brutally physical, and that level of elite play is difficult to keep up as players age and their bodies break down. Kane, I can see keeping up his level of play pretty consistently because his style is based on quickness, evasion and not getting hit. I think I read somewhere that he's only missed 11 games in his whole NHL tenure.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Hossa-Toews-Sharp takes the brunt of the opposing team's shut-down line, which gives Kane (plus apparently whomever you want to throw on his line) more space to create scoring opportunities. The brilliant thing about this strategy is that this kind of lets Chicago roll two top lines, so it's 1A and 1B. It only works because Kane is capable of both playmaking (creating opportunities for his teammates) and goalscoring (a recent-ish development). It's a win-win situation.

re: contracts. Honestly, I think Toews should make more money, but have a shorter term contract. His style of play is brutally physical, and that level of elite play is difficult to keep up as players age and their bodies break down. Kane, I can see keeping up his level of play pretty consistently because his style is based on quickness, evasion and not getting hit. I think I read somewhere that he's only missed 11 games in his whole NHL tenure.

Also, Keith/Seabrook play with the Kane line, and Hjarlmarsson/Oduya typically play with the Toews line. Keith/Seabrook also support the Kruger line, which works well in the defense rotation (2nd and 4th lines for K/S).

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Is it after the July free agency in 2014 they can start negotiating on a new deal? Or is it already after this season ends. Not that it really matters, just curious.

I believe it is July 1st. They cannot announce until there is one year left in their remaining contract.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Not worried about resigning Kane or Toews. They will get the same. Kane is just doing Toews a favor and driving up the ticket price. Kane will get what he deserves while Toews might get more than he deserves.

The guy I'm worried about is Saad. I think he likes Chicago but that guy is going to get paid!

Nothingman*

Not worried about resigning Kane or Toews. They will get the same. Kane is just doing Toews a favor and driving up the ticket price. Kane will get what he deserves while Toews might get more than he deserves.

The guy I'm worried about is Saad. I think he likes Chicago but that guy is going to get paid!

At that point there will have to be decisions made in regards to what value some of these players have. And Stan will have to be creative in keeping him. Because if he gets qualified it might be hard to keep him.

LandofLincoln*

longbed needed

Extensions give them extended longbed trucks 8 feet instead of the regular 5 1/2 feet. Twin trucks to get their **** out. Fans talking twin contracts. I'm talking twin storage units.

Get all of their equipment out of the United Center and Jonny's Ice House in one trip. Everything goes. Any jerseys with numbers on them are considered property of the Blackhawks they stay. Put everything in a storage unit.

Once they realize they were put out then you start negotiating a contract to get back into the organization. If you want to play here in Chicago it is a privilege.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not at all concerned about resigning both Toews and Kane to nice, long deals. Zero doubt in my mind.

Only real doubt is if we have enough cap space after signing them to still be major contenders.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Extensions give them extended longbed trucks 8 feet instead of the regular 5 1/2 feet. Twin trucks to get their **** out. Fans talking twin contracts. I'm talking twin storage units.

Get all of their equipment out of the United Center and Jonny's Ice House in one trip. Everything goes. Any jerseys with numbers on them are considered property of the Blackhawks they stay. Put everything in a storage unit.

Once they realize they were put out then you start negotiating a contract to get back into the organization. If you want to play here in Chicago it is a privilege.

I thought Dollar Bill died.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1