Todd takes responsiblity

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Article on NHL.com has Todd taking responsibilty for the Kings very poor play. What is interesting is he states he doesn't have an answer for how the Kings are playing. Basically said he will keep trying different things to get them to play better. It sounds like he is at a loss on what to do to get the team to play right and sorry Blake is going to keep him for the rest of the season which means he has given up on this season.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This isn’t the first time that Todd has publicly said he doesn’t know what to do. He did that last season as well. And here we are extending him. He’s been lost and it’s been evident.

Reactions: ru4reals

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Article on NHL.com has Todd taking responsibilty for the Kings very poor play. What is interesting is he states he doesn't have an answer for how the Kings are playing. Basically said he will keep trying different things to get them to play better. It sounds like he is at a loss on what to do to get the team to play right and sorry Blake is going to keep him for the rest of the season which means he has given up on this season.

There really is only so many things you can do as a coach to get players to play better, I don't know if Todd has it in him to do some of these, or if they have tried and failed,

Pissed off - motivation
Disappointed - motiviation
Play for others - motiviation
Ice time
Change line ups
Bag Skate

Combination of those, unless I am missing something, which could be, end of another 80 hour work week so who knows

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think Todd is a good man but I've seen enough of his non-adjustments.

Last year Bruce Cassidy took a timeout against the Kings, I think, and it was just a game management feel. It's a small thing I know, but that's what good coaches do. They read the game and make adjustments.

Todd is well spoken and seems knowledgeable about the x's and o's but I thought both series against Edmonton were there for the taking. Didn't see any necessary adjustments in those series.

It's not all on him but what else can you change if you can't wont change personnel?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Todd in his post game presser said and I paraphrase "As a coach only you have so many bullets... oh no I shouldn's say bullets. Buttons to push and I've pushed them all. You can only do the same things over and over again and if you get the same results, it's insanity."

He looked completely flustered in the presser and I actually felt bad for him. He looks completely beaten into submission. His only option would be to send guys to the press box at this point since I think the other options have all been done.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, he was honest. He said that what happens to the team is on him, that he is doing everything that he knows to do, it isn't working, and he will keep on trying, and that he wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job. It is definitely time to move on from him, but it is also sort of a sad situation because I don't think much would change until the organization had an overhaul with Blake and Luc included.

Also, I don't expect anything drastic to change until the offseason. I am now okay with and resigned to letting this season play out however it may, but no matter what, ownership has to act after this season or else there will be real conflict with fanbase. If we are bounced in the first round or less, there is no way this front office can be allowed to continue.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
For all we know McLellan may have discussed benching certain players but had that vetoed.

His lack of flexibility makes it highly unlikely that he will go far in the playoffs, but this rampant lack of discipline is NOT how he operates.

This malaise is on the general manager for bringing in uncoachable players.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I admire Todd for how he handled that press conference.

I may not always agree with every decision he makes but I don't always agree with anyone or anything universally.

He stood up there longer than he had to, acknowledged the hard questions that needed to be asked and took responsibility.

Fault and responsibility are to entirely different things and it is a sign of character in my eyes to ignore the discussion of fault and instead focus on responsibility.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
My two biggest questions right now about game management:

Why are second periods such a shit show this year? Is it a system issue with the long change?

Why is there a consistent issue with holding two goal leads?

I don't know what is happening behind the scenes. Players need to execute and its a fast game.

It's a crappy situation.

I believe this team is not a powerhouse team. I may have bought into the record a bit too much earlier.

LA has been fortunate that Vegas and the Vancouver had down seasons the past two years which probably elevated their positions in the standings. Guess that's why gotta play the games tho.

They may just be a wildcard team as built.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
The biggest issue with TM is the lack of in game adjustments he did the same during the reverse sweep, lack of leadership to control issues when things go bad ,and again when we were up 3-0 in the first period of the game in the playoffs and he switched to the 1-3-1 and we kept getting burnt he just watched and paced. probably a good manager/coach not a good leader, seems like he can't get players to buyin where they are totally for each other and not just playing but are totally commited to winning . He punishes some (AK) yet (PLD) others don't even engage or look disinterested , a good way to alienate other players .......as we can all see something is drastically wrong now and cascading and the simple takes of the team sucks and this one sucks and that one sucks are emotional and the team is actually pretty talented but that dosen't always result in wins and the most talented teams don't win the cup every year but teams with heart and total buyin go pretty far and thas been lacking since 2014 and TM has had his shot time to move on

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

I may not always agree with every decision he makes but I don't always agree with anyone or anything universally.

He stood up there longer than he had to, acknowledged the hard questions that needed to be asked and took responsibility.

Fault and responsibility are to entirely different things and it is a sign of character in my eyes to ignore the discussion of fault and instead focus on responsibility.
The todd maclellan apologists tour.
Why not explain about changes he would make or hope to make to possiby get the team out of the mire its in. But we can wallow in sorrow or parse semantics until todd dies something to CHANGE

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
You guys and your coach hate....

The management hired the inventor of the Choking Artists, what the hell are you guys expecting?

Beside that the management build a non winning mentality by not holding players accountable at all.
If players ask for $10mill contracts and can't keep up with the leagues good players, they decided to just let it go and even give into their crying, losing lot's of our future youngsters.
Trading for players like PLD while giving up the farm is another step away from winning mentality.

If any complaints are made it's something like the depth scoring isn't there, basically blaming 4th liners who are pressured into a brawler role by the system.
Also we bench youngsters for the slightest mistake while playing them outside their skillsets.

How the hell can you guys even remotely expect another outcome than what we see on a daily base?
They guys here or on the media who still think that the Kings are a contender are delusional on biblical proportions.

This is not fixable by a coach change, this requires an organization change.
But yes, Todd needed to go since day 1

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, he was honest. He said that what happens to the team is on him, that he is doing everything that he knows to do, it isn't working, and he will keep on trying, and that he wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job. It is definitely time to move on from him, but it is also sort of a sad situation because I don't think much would change until the organization had an overhaul with Blake and Luc included.

Also, I don't expect anything drastic to change until the offseason. I am now okay with and resigned to letting this season play out however it may, but no matter what, ownership has to act after this season or else there will be real conflict with fanbase. If we are bounced in the first round or less, there is no way this front office can be allowed to continue.

Yes. If anything this whole ordeal has made it exceedingly clear that the problems go far beyond Todd, unfortunately.

Absolutely zero question in my mind about his character. Just a high-quality, well-spoken, deeply caring individual. I see a lot of what we admired about Terry Murray in him as well.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
If Blake isn’t going to fire TM this year, then he’s not feeling desperate, which means he’s not getting fired either. For what it’s worth, I don’t think any coach can take this team further than the first or second round.

Reactions: tigermask48

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
What I don’t get is how Todd is shrugging with his hands up like “Hey I can only poke and prod so much you guys.”. But he hasn’t done anything. He scrambles the lines for a period or two then puts them back. He benched Fiala once to send a message, great but it’s not enough. He needs to stop bowing at the feet of the vets and healthy scratch some big names, put someone on notice in front of everyone. He’s TOO nice. He has no nuclear option to shock the players out of their funk. He considers minor temporary changes to be big pokes and prods and now he’s saying he doesn’t know what else to do. He’s cooked.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Blake isn’t going to fire TM this year, then he’s not feeling desperate, which means he’s not getting fired either. For what it’s worth, I don’t think any coach can take this team further than the first or second round.
I think you are more than likely correct.
However, it could also mean something else -- like they told Blake that he's not getting yet another HC hire opportunity (esp after the one year extension). No lifeline -- figure it out with what you have.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think you are more than likely correct.
However, it could also mean something else -- like they told Blake that he's not getting yet another HC hire opportunity (esp after the one year extension). No lifeline -- figure it out with what you have.
I’ve never been sold on “Blake isn’t getting a fourth coach”. As I’ve stated in the past, Stevens was more of a previous regime hire since he was literally promised to replace Sutter while Lombardi was still in charge. And Willie was an interim coach. It can easily be said that TM is Blake’s only permanent coaching hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad