Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not a fan of those lines and rationale. Hockey is now a 4 line 35 second shift game.

First Slepyshev has a nagging groin injury and won’t be back for weeks. Cagguila has been playing like garbage. Strome is nowhere to be seen. Maroon has been a boat anchor with McDavid.

Mclelland didn’t forget how to coach between this year and last year.
Okay so you want us to roll 4 lines when Todd struggles to roll 2?

Okay Slepy is injured put Strome there. Or put Strome in for Cagguila. Hell, we can call up Rattie and see what he can do.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He didn't forget how to coach. He was never good to begin with. Last year we won games almost 100% due to McDavid being the best player in the league and Talbot having a phenomenal season. Now that both have had their struggles this team shows their true colors.

OK then.

Your mind is made up so what is your solution to replace him?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Okay so you want us to roll 4 lines when Todd struggles to roll 2?

Okay Slepy is injured put Strome there. Or put Strome in for Cagguila. Hell, we can call up Rattie and see what he can do.

Strome is a far better centre than winter. If you put Strome in for Cagguila your still left with an injured Slepyshev. Rattie is an AHL talent and he showed that in St Louis.

And you still are not addressing the plain and simple fact that hockey is a 4 line 35 second shift game.

You fail to address that most Oiler players have regressed, including 97, 29 and 77 and that we have injuries this year we did not have last year.

That is not on the coach.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strome is a far better centre than winter. If you put Strome in for Cagguila your still left with an injured Slepyshev. Rattie is an AHL talent and he showed that in St Louis.

And you still are not addressing the plain and simple fact that hockey is a 4 line 35 second shift game.

You fail to address that most Oiler players have regressed, including 97, 29 and 77 and that we have injuries this year we did not have last year.

That is not on the coach.
Maroon is a bottom 6 talent and he showed that in Anaheim. Rattie is still young and he has been playing very well. Some players take time to develop and just work better on other teams. Look at Schenn for example. He never really cut it as a center or a 5v5 performer. He is dominating in St Louis.

So you feel each one of these coaches on the TSN list will make a dramatic improvement over TMac?
I think Keefe could do very well with our roster. Nelson would probably never come back but I think he would be better.

I don't think Oates is going to be an NHL coach again but he would absolutely be able to allow our skill to flourish.

f*** Sutter or Tippett would be better too.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Todd gets a pass this year no way they can him. if we miss the playoffs next year that will be his last.they will change things up that summer or late in the season. just my opnion
Mclellan should not have this kind of leash. Miss the playoffs this year and he should be canned. We can't keep pissing away our window of opportunity and Drai, RNH and McDavid prime years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The other Todd is a better choice. I think we really should have given him an opportunity here. Our AHL teams were always very competitive with him at the helm and he impressed in his short tenure as an NHL coach

Reactions: dawunderboy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The other Todd is a better choice. I think we really should have given him an opportunity here. Our AHL teams were always very competitive with him at the helm and he impressed in his short tenure as an NHL coach
Won the Calder Cup last year.
When he was on our AHL team he coached them to playoffs constantly even with absolute trash lineups.
Lander looked like a LEGIT NHL player under him. Yakupov looked to be redeeming himself and becoming the guy we thought too.
Guy was a good players coach and it was a huge mistake not giving him a REAL shot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maroon is a bottom 6 talent and he showed that in Anaheim. Rattie is still young and he has been playing very well. Some players take time to develop and just work better on other teams. Look at Schenn for example. He never really cut it as a center or a 5v5 performer. He is dominating in St Louis.

I think Keefe could do very well with our roster. Nelson would probably never come back but I think he would be better.

I don't think Oates is going to be an NHL coach again but he would absolutely be able to allow our skill to flourish.

**** Sutter or Tippett would be better too.

Maroon has regressed from last year as well, and in a big way. Look at the player regression on the Oilers, it is literally every player save Nurse and RNH. That is the coach?

You simply cannot put Schenn and Rattie as a comparable. For sure some players take longer to develop however Schenn has been improving in the NHL yearly and now as a number one centre with two absolute top line scoring wingers which he did not have in Philadelphia behind Giroux his numbers have taken off. Is it sustainable, time will tell.

Rattie is not going to produce at a level to replace any Oiler winger save Pakarainen and I am sceptical his defensive game is at the same level as Pakarainens and I dont believe he kills penalties.

As for the TSN coaching list there is not 1 of those coaches who I put ahead of TMac for this specific team.

If you absolutely want to kill offence and/or have players pissed off game in and game out at the coach you hire Tippett, Hartley or Sutter. That schtick getting players pissed off at the coach so they play better on the ice doesnt fly with players these days. Oilers have had their fill of inexperienced coaches and I am not sold on bringing in the unproven. Oates had a skilled team in Washington and he was awful there. Hire him as a skills coach sure, head coach no thank you.

The Oilers as you say had a chance with Todd Nelson but that ship sailed. Dan Bylsma did nothing after winning his first cup in Pittsburgh and got ran out of Buffalo by Eichel or so it appears despite Eichels comments to the contrary. Lindy Ruff better than TMac with this skill? I am sceptical and at best a lateral move.

I think the anti-McLelland group needs to look at the injuries and player regression from last year. Not saying TMac isn't without his warts but show me a coach who is perfect. Coaching is a hell of a lot more than drawing player names up on a line-up chart and opening the doors.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Sure, but at the time we just couldn't go down the road of hiring another inexperienced head coach. This falls into the if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle category of hindsight and wishful thinking.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Won the Calder Cup last year.
When he was on our AHL team he coached them to playoffs constantly even with absolute trash lineups.
Lander looked like a LEGIT NHL player under him. Yakupov looked to be redeeming himself and becoming the guy we thought too.
Guy was a good players coach and it was a huge mistake not giving him a REAL shot.

I agree he is a hell of a coach but the Oilers could not hire another inexperienced coach. He has since been interviewed for numerous jobs and has lost out on each one of them. Not saying he wont get a shot but many teams other than the Oilers have passed over him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mclellan should not have this kind of leash. Miss the playoffs this year and he should be canned. We can't keep pissing away our window of opportunity and Drai, RNH and McDavid prime years.

What do you mean "Cant keep pissing away our window of opportunity"? Last year most didn't even predict we make the playoffs and would have been to the Conference Finals save for shitty reffing.

This year serious player regression and injuries are TMac fault?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maroon has regressed from last year as well, and in a big way. Look at the player regression on the Oilers, it is literally every player save Nurse and RNH. That is the coach?
The team not being ready for most games is on the coach. The not managing the lineup properly when they struggle doesn't help either

You simply cannot put Schenn and Rattie as a comparable. For sure some players take longer to develop however Schenn has been improving in the NHL yearly and now as a number one centre with two absolute top line scoring wingers which he did not have in Philadelphia behind Giroux his numbers have taken off. Is it sustainable, time will tell.
I wasn't comparing them directly. I was just saying that just because a player doesn't quite make it on one team, doesn't make the auto bad.

Rattie is not going to produce at a level to replace any Oiler winger save Pakarainen and I am sceptical his defensive game is at the same level as Pakarainens and I dont believe he kills penalties.
Rattie has only played in 35 NHL games and has 10 points overall. In 2015-2016 he had 6 points in 13 games and I believe he is our best forward on the farm right now.

As for the TSN coaching list there is not 1 of those coaches who I put ahead of TMac for this specific team.
I mean okay.

If you absolutely want to kill offence and/or have players pissed off game in and game out at the coach you hire Tippett, Hartley or Sutter. That schtick getting players pissed off at the coach so they play better on the ice doesnt fly with players these days. Oilers have had their fill of inexperienced coaches and I am not sold on bringing in the unproven. Oates had a skilled team in Washington and he was awful there. Hire him as a skills coach sure, head coach no thank you.
Tippett coaches defense first and then counter attack and cycling. Thats how this team scores on most of their goals. We do not have any elite defensemen so we need to learn to play defense as a whole.
Hartley I never mentioned him so yea.
Sutter is a phenomenal coach and the LA teams were tough to play against. Sutter also never had a guy like McDavid to work with either, he did very well with what he had and made mediocre defensemen look great.
Oates did about as well as most coaches do in Washington.

The Oilers as you say had a chance with Todd Nelson but that ship sailed. Dan Bylsma did nothing after winning his first cup in Pittsburgh and got ran out of Buffalo by Eichel or so it appears despite Eichels comments to the contrary. Lindy Ruff better than TMac with this skill? I am sceptical and at best a lateral move.
I personally never mentioned anything about Ruff or Bylsma. I think Ruff could do very well here. His biggest struggle in Dallas, was that he had ZERO goaltending and worse defense than ours. That team was still amazing offensively.

I think the anti-McLelland group needs to look at the injuries and player regression from last year. Not saying TMac isn't without his warts but show me a coach who is perfect. Coaching is a hell of a lot more than drawing player names up on a line-up chart and opening the doors.
Coaching is much more than that. It is teaching a system that suites your team. His system is SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT which doesn't work for a team without shooters. It's shaking up things that are struggling heavily. Like our top line and Letestu on the top pp unit. You know that our second unit has 1/4 of the PP time and has the same amount of goals as the top unit. And they haven't been good either. The top unit just straight up sucks.
The team sucks for the majority of first periods as he seems to fail nightly at getting the team ready to go for the night. Team allows a bad goal and they sulk, its usually on the coaching staff to get them back into it.
We score a goal or get scored on and he immediately puts out our worst defense pairing which heavily affects momentum.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Here we go again......
Every loss this year on this board and the intelligence comes out.
Okay so instead of being a brat and just insulting people, contribute something of substance.
I mean anything. Some sort of arguement other than "go away, you are dumb etc"

Explain why you think we are wrong. What you see differently. Something anything.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What do you mean "Cant keep pissing away our window of opportunity"? Last year most didn't even predict we make the playoffs and would have been to the Conference Finals save for ****ty reffing.

This year serious player regression and injuries are TMac fault?

Mclellan record on the Oilers:
Missed the playoffs in 2015-16
Made 2nd round in 2016-17
Could miss the playoffs in 2017-18

What does that say about his ability as a coach if the Oilers miss the playoffs this year?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he miss the playoffs in 2017-18

What does that say about his ability as a coach if the Oilers miss the playoffs this year?
"It's not his fault, Chia didn't help him enough"
Same People
"Chia is a good GM you guys are crazy"

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Okay so instead of being a brat and just insulting people, contribute something of substance.
I mean anything. Some sort of arguement other than "go away, you are dumb etc"

Explain why you think we are wrong. What you see differently. Something anything.

Argument? With people that think the NHL is EA Sports NHL 18?

Nah Im good, thanks.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Could miss the playoffs in 2017-18

Why assume hes going to miss the playoffs this year? Oh right for your agenda. Meanwhile we are 4 points outwith over 60 games to play.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Argument? With people that think the NHL is EA Sports NHL 18?

Nah Im good, thanks.

So if the Oilers dont make the playoffs this season do you think we should keep Mclellan? Most organizations wouldnt find this to be acceptable, especially with a player of McDavid's calibre on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad