Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Weight got himself tossed tonight in Colorado in an effort to bring some passion to his team tonight who also got throttled badly. Sounds like an ex-player to me and not in TMacs playbook but I would have liked to have seen a f***ing timeout called after the second goal and him give it to the team to wake the f*** up.

Instead he let them just go through the motions and line juggled the deck chairs on the Titanic.

McDavids interview he is not able or willing to call out his team, seemed bothered by the questions and Lucic seemed at a total loss.

Nobody is willing to stand up in that room and demand accountability from each other. They are still kissing one another’s asses by the media avails and their play on the ice.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If we listened to you our only issue is goaltending. We could have Carey Price in net tonight and still lost. Can't win if you don't score.

Also the team is never ready to play. Everyone looks sloppy for the first 10 minutes. That's a coaching issue

Goalies can sometimes bail their poor playing team out and get a tie or win. Not ours.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree that a change is likely needed but if your solution is MacT you might as well hold onto Todd.

MacT shouldn't even be in this organization let alone on the bench. If you fire a coach you better have his replacement immediately available.
The only way Mclellan gets fired before April is if his replacement gets fired before him and the team wants to get the jump on hiring him. There is no interim coach currently in the organization. You’re not using one of Mclellan’s assistants and you’re not bringing up Fleming from Bakersfield. Because of this he’s safe for now but that won’t make it any easier to watch.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Goalies can sometimes bail their poor playing team out and get a tie or win. Not ours.

Not this year however last year thats all he did which is why Chia had "Faith" in this group moving forward

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The only way Mclellan gets fired before April is if his replacement gets fired before him and the team wants to get the jump on hiring him. There is no interim coach currently in the organization. You’re not using one of Mclellan’s assistants and you’re not bringing up Fleming from Bakersfield. Because of this he’s safe for now but that won’t make it any easier to watch.

I expect RNH to be traded before the coach is fired

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I think people overstate the whole "not ready to play" thing. A lot of teams go through that. Good teams. Our main problem tonight was one particular player screwing up particularly badly. If that doesn't happen then maybe we even win this game. I think that at the end of the day it's a personnel and coaching issue. It usually is.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Do you really think we lost tonight because of goaltending? The Jets completely clowned us and the first goal was a hilarious breakdown in the defensive end.

I think we have lost the last 3 games due to goaltending. Not winning in this league with 890 save%

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think people overstate the whole "not ready to play" thing. A lot of teams go through that. Good teams. Our main problem tonight was one particular player screwing up particularly badly. If that doesn't happen then maybe we even win this game. I think that at the end of the day it's a personnel and coaching issue. It usually is.
The Oilers have had trouble getting up for games for as long as I have been watching. This isn't a new problem.

And it wasn't just one player not helping the team. It was a gutless effort by basically everyone.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we have lost the last 3 games due to goaltending. Not winning in this league with 890 save%
What is the goalie supposed to do on a 3-on-1 down low? Please enlighten me. Talbot had no prayer on that one or many of the goals tonight. Their shitty play is destructive to his confidence.

Carey Price couldn't have saved that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
What is the goalie supposed to do on a 3-on-1 down low? Please enlighten me. Talbot had no prayer on that one or many of the goals tonight. Their ****ty play is destructive to his confidence.

Carey Price couldn't have saved that.

I said last 3 games incase you can’t read?

Like make a save, his last 3 games are LB numbers.

Good enough for you?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I said last 3 games incase you can’t read?

Like make a save, his last 3 games are LB numbers.

Good enough for you?
You're kidding, right? Have you seen the Oilers defensively? They're pathetic. Easy wins for other teams. An AHL squad could've outworked the Oilers in those games. Keep blaming the goalie though. Might as well trade him for the rights to Scrivens.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You're kidding, right? Have you seen the Oilers defensively? They're pathetic. Easy wins for other teams. An AHL squad could've outworked the Oilers in those games. Keep blaming the goalie though. Might as well trade him for the rights to Scrivens.

I see other teams every night that the oilers expose. Break aways, 2 on 1s, tips, shots from the slot. I see the other goalie making saves.

Other teams get chances on us it’s in the back of the net. Really Talbot has been as bad as LB this year.

I wish we could trade Talbot for Scrivens, we wouldn’t have a worse record that’s for sure.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I see other teams every night that the oilers expose. Break aways, 2 on 1s, tips, shots from the slot. I see the other goalie making saves.

Other teams get chances on us it’s in the back of the net. Really Talbot has been as bad as LB this year.

I wish we could trade Talbot for Scrivens, we wouldn’t have a worse record that’s for sure.
The Oilers this year have exposed maybe 2 teams? They've been crap for most of the year. Getting consistently outplayed by weaker opponents and making bad decisions game after game.

When you're passing up empty nets or shooting it into your own, you're not a very good team and tonight was an embarrassment.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
There is a coach that no one seems to be talking about who is available.

Darryl Sutter.

No doubt he's a better coach than McLellan. I just don't see Chiarelli admitting that giving McLellan that massive contract was a mistake by firing him and his staff.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The Oilers this year have exposed maybe 2 teams? They've been crap for most of the year. Getting consistently outplayed by weaker opponents and making bad decisions game after game.

When you're passing up empty nets or shooting it into your own, you're not a very good team and tonight was an embarrassment.

This team got goaltending, dam good goaltending last year. Covered a lot of mistakes we are seeing this year. That’s the difference.

My original post was how many times we have given up the first goal this year. It’s insane. Many times on the first shot.

Just make a save and play NHL average if you want to be a starter.

Yes I’m aware the rest of the team hasn’t been good enough but that doesn’t exclude goaltending.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team got goaltending, dam good goaltending last year. Covered a lot of mistakes we are seeing this year. That’s the difference.

My original post was how many times we have given up the first goal this year. It’s insane. Many times on the first shot.

Just make a save and play NHL average if you want to be a starter.

Yes I’m aware the rest of the team hasn’t been good enough but that doesn’t exclude goaltending.
They scored on the first shot of the game tonight because the Oilers had a meltdown in their own end and Benning was the only guy back. If Talbot had saved that or maybe if Dano channeled his inner Strome it would've been a miracle.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
They scored on the first shot of the game tonight because the Oilers had a meltdown in their own end and Benning was the only guy back. If Talbot had saved that or maybe if Dano channeled his inner Strome it would've been a miracle.

Yup I know, would love to see a actual holy what a save by Talbot on the first 10 shots. Hasn’t happened once this year.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
The goaltending has been terrible. There's no doubt about it. And even worse they don't even have a reasonable backup.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad