Boston Bruins Todd Angilly officially the anthem singer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Todd Angilly Named Official Anthem Singer Of The Boston Bruins
Sent with @Nhl

Yes!!!!! Congrats Todd :)

The Boston Bruins announced today that Todd Angilly will become the official anthem singer of the team, becoming the first to hold the title since the retirement of Garden legend, Rene Rancourt, at the conclusion of the 2017-18 season. In this role, Todd will perform approximately 80% of the Boston Bruins regular season home games. The remaining games will rotate between various singers.

Angilly is a Warwick, Rhode Island native who currently resides in Lynnfield, Massachusetts. He is a probation officer by day, and during the Bruins and Celtics seasons, he is a bartender at the SportsDeck, located on level 5 of TD Garden. The 44-year-old is trained as an opera singer from his time at the New England Conservatory, and has performed for all five Boston professional sports teams.

Angilly got his first chance to perform the anthem at TD Garden on November 2, 2017, as the Bruins faced off against the Vegas Golden Knights. While working as a bartender at the SportsDeck, Angilly was asked to fill in for the previously scheduled anthem singer who was unable to make it into TD Garden.

After the retirement of Rene Rancourt, the Boston Bruins held live auditions on August 8, 2018 to find a rotating group of singers who would perform the anthem at home games during the 2018-19 season. Out of more than 600 applications, 52 finalists were chosen to partake in the live auditions. Angilly was the first out of that group of finalists to be selected to perform last season.

Throughout the 2018-19 regular season, Angilly sang the anthem at 16 games at TD Garden, and was the primary choice for games where both the American and Canadian anthems were required. In the playoffs, Angilly performed at each home game throughout the team's run to the Stanley Cup Final

Last edited by a moderator:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I can't load the NHL web pages at work.

But Im curious if he's still going to work the BAHHH after her sings.

Happy for him. And I think we're lucky to have him.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I can't load the NHL web pages at work.

But Im curious if he's still going to work the BAHHH after her sings.

Happy for him. And I think we're lucky to have him.
It says he "is" a bartender so I guess that means he still is. Makes sense, once the anthem is over, there's no more singing (unless he does the Christmas carols).

He's only going to do 80 percent of the games, don't know why that is though.

Reactions: JCRO

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And I always laugh at his profile pic :laugh:

It looks so familiar.....

CZ7rg9VffI9sY3SDLcyvs9T_POm_keQgegOWeDBJM38.png

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wait - he only sang at 16 games last year? It felt like a LOT more than that, although he's probably the only anthem singer I'd notice. Kind of silly that they didn't announce it last year, especially after everyone went gaga over his appearance the year before.

I'm not as big of an Angilly vocal fan as some of y'all, but I guess he's fine. I'd take Rene and his goofy eggnog-inspired Christmas carols back in a heartbeat, but this isn't the wrong decision, either. The Bruins need an "official" anthem singer, and I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Reactions: BMC

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wait - he only sang at 16 games last year? It felt like a LOT more than that, although he's probably the only anthem singer I'd notice. Kind of silly that they didn't announce it last year, especially after everyone went gaga over his appearance the year before.

I'm not as big of an Angilly vocal fan as some of y'all, but I guess he's fine. I'd take Rene and his goofy eggnog-inspired Christmas carols back in a heartbeat, but this isn't the wrong decision, either. The Bruins need an "official" anthem singer, and I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Am I reading this right that you think Rene had a better singing voice than this guy? Wow.

Reactions: TD Charlie

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Am I reading this right that you think Rene had a better singing voice than this guy? Wow.

I said I liked Rene's goofy Christmas Carol schtick, not that Rene had a better voice....this isn't necessarily creating an album or a technically perfect vocal performance, it's entertainment. Overall, yeah, I liked goofy ol' Rene over Todd. Part of that is probably the feeling of familiarity and the feeling of "knowing" Rene. The first pumps. The weird videos he did with The Bear for the Winter Classic in Foxboro. Plus, I sort of remember an old clip of Rene singing - maybe it was an "anthems of the world" tape on YouTube? From the 70s or 80s, I think. In his day, he really WAS technically as good a singer as Angilly.

I'm not saying Todd's a bad choice...in fact, he's a good choice. I'm glad this has gone down the way it has, with Rene seemingly really longing for retirement and wanting to take care of some older relatives in New York. (Parents? In-laws? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it, giving the impression that it would be really inconvenient for Rene to come back last year for a few select games as was the original plan.) I'm happy Rene left on his own terms, because I think in terms of overall entertainment and being "inviting", Rene's a touch better, and wouldn't want Todd to prematurely replace Rene.

And Todd will probably grow on me too. I think he's a fine choice, sings well, and seems like a nice guy. A little too "operatic" for my taste, but again, I'll adjust.

aguineapig

Can one of you youngun's do the Google and post a vid of the late Roger Doucet? I swear when he bellowed out the anthem at the old house of horrors, the Ghosts of the Forum were awakened to perform their bedeviling tricks upon us. Todd is our very own, homegrown version of Roger.

Reactions: eightspokedb

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well done Todd. He does a great job. I think having him do around 80% of the games is the right call - definitely establishes him as 'the guy' while still mixing it up and giving others an opportunity now and then.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Not a Bruins fan but watched the playoffs: did he perform at those Garden games? Whoever that was, was superb!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad