(Today's) Top-3 Defensemen from 2008 Draft

Which 3 players would you take moving forward?

• Doughty

• Karlsson

• Carlson

• Pietrangelo

• Josi

• Spurgeon

• Brodie

• Hamonic

• Myers

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Doughty, Karlsson and Pietro.

I know. I'm way too dependent on reputation/track record - but still not ready to pass up on either of Karlsson or Doughty - I think they can both rebound to being top 2 D in league.
Pietro vs Calrsson as a very difficult decision - but voted for Pietro in the end, as I think Carlsson might regress offensively, since this was a career year.
Josi is a great D too - but i don't like him as much.

Crazy how deep that draft is

Reactions: Thenameless

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It is absolutely laughable how overrated Pietrangelo has become, he could be the most overrated player in the world. I don’t think he should be taken here, insane how every single person without exeption seems to be picking him, just absolutely f***ing absurd and ridiculous.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry, my bad. Carlson and Josi are head and shoulders ahead of all the others.

Last edited:

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
It is absolutely laughable how overrated Pietrangelo has become, he could be the most overrated player in the world. I don’t think he should be taken here, insane how every single person without exeption seems to be picking him, just absolutely f***ing absurd and ridiculous.

Josi, Carlson, Pietro

Just an honest question, why is Pietro so overrated? Again, I’m not trying to troll. I have always seen Pietro as a reliable and strong dman

Reactions: bh53

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

Hedman is from the 2009 draft class

Actually that would be Hedman, who is so overrated he even gets brought up in polls for the wrong year :thumbu:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Doughty, Karlsson and Pietro.

I know. I'm way too dependent on reputation/track record - but still not ready to pass up on either of Karlsson or Doughty - I think they can both rebound to being top 2 D in league.
Pietro vs Calrsson as a very difficult decision - but voted for Pietro in the end, as I think Carlsson might regress offensively, since this was a career year.
Josi is a great D too - but i don't like him as much.

Crazy how deep that draft is

Carlson might regress offensively but he's still clearly the best in the NHL.

17/18: 1st in D pts regular season, 1st in D pts playoffs

18/19: 4th in D pts regular season

19/20: 1st in D pts regular season

17/18-19/20 (a 3 season sample size): 1st in D pts regular season, 2nd in D pts playoffs

Reactions: Voight

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

*Doughty

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Josi, Carlson, Pietro

Just an honest question, why is Pietro so overrated? Again, I’m not trying to troll. I have always seen Pietro as a reliable and strong dman

He is not nearly as offensively skilled as Karlsson, Carlson or Josi, he also moves the puck and skates much worse. He is slightly better defensively but that does not compensate for the rest. I have genuinely seen people call Pietrangelo a top 5 D in the world which is going way too far in my eyes.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Carlson might regress offensively but he's still clearly the best in the NHL.

17/18: 1st in D pts regular season, 1st in D pts playoffs

18/19: 4th in D pts regular season

19/20: 1st in D pts regular season

17/18-19/20 (a 3 season sample size): 1st in D pts regular season, 2nd in D pts playoffs

Impressive - I didn't realize he had also led D for points in 2017-2018. I know he'd been good for a while, didn't realize he was that consistent though year over year.

I changed my vote of Doughty to include him. So Karlsson, Carlson and Pietro

I'm still probably out to lunch on Karlsson - but he's played the "best", by quite a bit, of all the D's listed. Not ready to write him off just yet, we'll see if i end up being right or wrong about it.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
He is not nearly as offensively skilled as Karlsson, Carlson or Josi, he also moves the puck and skates much worse. He is slightly better defensively but that does not compensate for the rest. I have genuinely seen people call Pietrangelo a top 5 D in the world which is going way too far in my eyes.

I don't think you're watching the same guy as the rest of the hockey world. Pietrangelo is a terrific skater, puck-mover and defender. Since he became a full-time NHL'er, he's been the Blues best player in the playoffs practically every year. The guy's consistency is remarkable, outside of the 1st half of their Cup-winning season when he was a new father to triplets. Most Blues fans believe that if he were to walk in UFA the Blues' status of Cup-contender instantly vanishes. He's not as flashy as Karlsson, Carlson or Josi...but he's light-years better in his own-end, has been a staple for Team Canada and is unlikely to see his game crater like some of his peers (Subban, Karlsson). He's very Lidstrom-esque and very under-appreciated in the hockey world...which is good for STL and their chances of re-signing him.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
If you would have told me in 2016 or 2017 that I would Pietrangelo, Josi and John Carlson on my team in 2020 over Erik Karlsson and Drew Doughty, I probably wouldn't believe you...

But here we are

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Dought and Karllson are locks, anyone not including them here are crazy. Doughty has just gotten lazy after the contract, prior to that the guy was as good as they came and anchored STELLAR international and cup winning squads. John Carlson isn't a great defenseman, in fact he's pretty borderline awful for 3 months this year after supposedly being a Norris front runner. His awareness on defense is completely suspect.

Reactions: Voight

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Dought and Karllson are locks, anyone not including them here are crazy. Doughty has just gotten lazy after the contract, prior to that the guy was as good as they came and anchored STELLAR international and cup winning squads. John Carlson isn't a great defenseman, in fact he's pretty borderline awful for 3 months this year after supposedly being a Norris front runner. His awareness on defense is completely suspect.

I think in a career stand point, you're right that Doughty and Karlsson are locks, but given the question, they probably aren't locks right now. Can they bounce back? they very well can, but given the past 2ish years, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Karlsson with his injuries, Doughty with the lack of effort(?).

I don't watch many caps games, but has Carlson really that bad for the past few months? I'm genuinely asking.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think in a career stand point, you're right that Doughty and Karlsson are locks, but given the question, they probably aren't locks right now. Can they bounce back? they very well can, but given the past 2ish years, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Karlsson with his injuries, Doughty with the lack of effort(?).

I don't watch many caps games, but has Carlson really that bad for the past few months? I'm genuinely asking.
Yes, he's been abysmal which most people don't see because the narrative was laid out in the first 2 months of the season. It's hard to put into words how poor he's been defensively and his subpar play has carried over to the powerplay where he seems to be unable to A) carry the puck in ever B) shoot the puck with any consistency (He has 2 PP goals!) and C) pass the puck to the one person who still can reliably score on the PP, Ovechkin. Carlson's passing sucks.

Doughty and Karlsson have just been heads and shoulders above the rest in this class for the majority of their careers.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I have to admit that I took him as my 3rd guy, Josi and doughty are my obvious top 2 and I think I should have taken Carlson perhaps.

I just think that Josi, Doughty and Pietrangelo are the best 3 guys in a vacuum but it should really be the big 4 with Carlson.

EK and his injuries just scare me too much and San Jose should have never signed him to that contract.

I understand why they did it but there were red flags all over the place too.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I have to admit that I took him as my 3rd guy, Josi and doughty are my obvious top 2 and I think I should have taken Carlson perhaps.

I just think that Josi, Doughty and Pietrangelo are the best 3 guys in a vacuum but it should really be the big 4 with Carlson.

EK and his injuries just scare me too much and San Jose should have never signed him to that contract.

I understand why they did it but there were red flags all over the place too.

If Karlsson gets fully healthy he is by far the best of the bunch so you have to take a risk on him, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad