(Today's) Top-3 Defensemen from 2008 Draft

Which 3 players would you take moving forward?

• Doughty

• Karlsson

• Carlson

• Pietrangelo

• Josi

• Spurgeon

• Brodie

• Hamonic

• Myers

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Karlsson gets fully healthy he is by far the best of the bunch so you have to take a risk on him, I think.

giphy.gif

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Karlsson gets fully healthy he is by far the best of the bunch so you have to take a risk on him, I think.

"If" isn't reality though and defensively Karlsson still leaves a lot to be desired compared to some other guys here.

I have less concerns about the other guys.

But if healthy sure he is top 3 with Doughty and Josi but there is that but....

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
As of today...

1. Carlson
2. Josi
3. Doughty (with Pietrangelo being right there--just preferable choice).

Karlsson--absolutely not. And forget about the rest.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

No chance (and Karlsson has been one of my favorite players in the last 10 years). But, nobody in their right mind even considers taking him over Carlson, Josi, Doughty or Pietrangelo right now.

For one, he's already lost a step, even before the current injury. He's never been as solid as the others in his own zone, yet he was able to make up for that (plus some) due to his speed, acceleration, hockey IQ and absolutely elite level offensive production. Today, 3 of those advantages have been curbed. Karlsson has lost some of his speed and acceleration--and he is no longer the king of offense from the blue line.

That said, after Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo--I would choose Karlsson based on skill--then cross my fingers and pray he can stay healthy.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Doughty has sucked for a while and yet people are still voting for him. If you voted for him you should just leave. Go discuss hockey on Facebook or something.

Reactions: AB13

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Why does Doughty get a free pass for his recent play? Being mentally disengaged or lazy is not a excuse that's a huge concern.

Reactions: AB13

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Petro, Josi, and Doughty. With the sons of Carl/Karl rounding out the Top-5.

I do think Doughty has started to fade a little bit, but i think it's exaggerated by playing on a bad team. The Kings are not a very flattering group to be part of right now. Get him out of that environment and into a better situation, and i think he'd be more unanimously looked at as still in that Top-3.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He is not nearly as offensively skilled as Karlsson, Carlson or Josi, he also moves the puck and skates much worse. He is slightly better defensively but that does not compensate for the rest. I have genuinely seen people call Pietrangelo a top 5 D in the world which is going way too far in my eyes.
I think a case can be made for top 5... although i have him somewhere around 10. He's a great defenseman and definitely one of the top 3 in this poll.

He's not as flashy or as sexy as most but if you watch him enough you would understand why he's highly thought of.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad