Visit site
Nylander
Kappy
Percy
Harrington
Brown
Marner

I go by who is closest to NHL ready.

Obviously these are just personal rankings, but what makes you think Kapanen is that much more NHL ready than Marner? He was one of the youngest players in last year's draft and is similarly on the small side.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Top 4 is easy. the 5th is either Bracco/Dermott/Gauthier.

Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Brown
Bracco/Dermott/Gauthier

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The enthusiasm for Korostelev is a little premature. At this point, he needs to show the necessary progression to earn an NHL contract first.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The enthusiasm for Korostelev is a little premature. At this point, he needs to show the necessary progression to earn an NHL contract first.

End of the day he was a 7th round pick in the last draft. Kind of ridiculous to rank him anywhere near the top 5 let alone the top 10 lol.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Obviously these are just personal rankings, but what makes you think Kapanen is that much more NHL ready than Marner? He was one of the youngest players in last year's draft and is similarly on the small side.

They say he is 6ft now and heavier and he had a great showing in the A during playoffs. I like seeing what they accomplish at the pro level.

No knock against Marner just want him to size up and do a pro gig for a bit. I don't doubt he will surpass the rest although he will have his work cut out with Nylander. I don't think people get how special Nylander is sometimes.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter just crushed that draft. It was insane the talent he drafted with every pick. I can't see many teams skating with this style of team they are building in three or four years.

This keeps up we will be the most diverse group of talented players in the league. It looks promising. Again, they completely crushed that draft.

Phenomenal job.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
So little love for Johnsson.

What he's doing in Sweden is pretty damn impressive. Nylander's outshined him, but it really shouldn't take away from the fantastic post-draft seasons he's had.

Should definitely be ranked above Gauthier, IMO

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hunter just crushed that draft. It was insane the talent he drafted with every pick. I can't see many teams skating with this style of team they are building in three or four years.

This keeps up we will be the most diverse group of talented players in the league. It looks promising. Again, they completely crushed that draft.

Phenomenal job.

I agree. I put the Leafs in the top 5 2015 drafts, though it's usually safer to judge these five years down the road.

I appreciate all the comments, Toronto fans are always on top of their game.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So little love for Johnsson.

What he's doing in Sweden is pretty damn impressive. Nylander's outshined him, but it really shouldn't take away from the fantastic post-draft seasons he's had.

Should definitely be ranked above Gauthier, IMO

Johnson is my #5, but its get close then, with Gauthier

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Korostelev is being seriously underestimated here.

Maybe not top 5 but he's got huge upside

The Big Chief

Dec 2, 2013
Markham/London
The Big Chiefs Prospect Rankings:

1. Marner
2. Nylander
3. Kapanen

4. Johnson - 3rd on his team in scoring at 19 years old, while playing professionally against men
5. Brown - translating his game from the OHL to the AHL was seamless, hopefully he can do the same going into the NHL
6. Bracco - size may be an issue, but 32 pts in 24 games as a 17 year old in the USHL is impressive, I don't care how big you are
7. Harrington/Dermott - it seems like these 2 are going to take a little more grooming in the minors before making the step to the show - which I don't mind at all.
8. Leipsic - is this our very own Gallagher? Or better yet, Tucker?
9. Froese - he may be older than the others, but this guy is a late bloomer that absolutely tore up the AHL last year. It seems like he realized that his stint with the Marlies was his last shot at making it to the bigs, and he ran with it - big guy too.
10. Timashov - tallying 71 assists in 66 games isn't a fluke, that requires a ton of hockey IQ. Also had a higher PPG than Anthony Duclair who was playing on the same team.

Honourable mentions: Leivo (should have been in my top 10, hope he has a better season), Korotselev, Gauthier, C. Gibson, Percy, Finn

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think the rankings are reasonable if they're looking at the top end / ceiling of the players they're ranking.

Certainly, Gauthier is a top prospect for a bottom 6, but his ranking with regards to:
Scale to 10:
10=Generational Talent
9=Franchise Talent
8=NHL All-Star
7=NHL Regular
6=Fringe NHLer

Puts Gauthier at 6-7.

How many all stars are we expecting from the Leafs prospects?

Lowest ranking they have listed is 7.5, Korostelev. They also suggest he's a possible bust. 7.5 puts him between All-Star and Regular NHLer.

If you just look at ceilings, the Leafs drafted very high end potentials, with high probability of bust.

Bracco isn't slated to become anything other than a high end player, odds are he never becomes a NHLer.

I don't expect Brown to become a star, he could, but I don't expect it. So if I was ranking on ceiling, I'd have Korostelev higher, and bust potential much higher.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Fine to rank our prospects against each other, but what matters is how the Leafs prospects stack up to those on other teams.

Without getting too granular, are the Leafs prospects now in the:

Top 10 ?
Middle 10 ?
Bottom 10 ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fine to rank our prospects, but what matters is how the Leafs prospects stack up to those on other teams.

Without getting too granular, are the Leafs prospects now in the:

Top 10 ?
Middle 10 ?
Bottom 10 ?

I'll be a realist today and say bottom 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad