Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Imagine our top power play unit in a couple years

Kapanen - Marner - Nylander
Rielly - Chychrun

OHHH BABY

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I can't figure out if Korostelev being our #5 is a good or a bad thing.

Rufio65*

Korostelev should not be our 5th ranked prospect (he shouldn't even sniff top 5)... Bracco is not our 3rd ranked prospect.

Marner
Nylander
Gauthier
Brown
Dermott

Top 5 Leaf prospects

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Korostelev should not be our 5th ranked prospect (he shouldn't even sniff top 5)... Bracco is not our 3rd ranked prospect.

Marner
Nylander
Gauthier
Brown
Dermott

Top 5 Leaf prospects

Gauthier over Kapanen? Am I seeing this right?

I agree with your evaluation except for Gauthier. He is gonna be a decent 3rd liner at best. Kasperi has top 6 potential.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
LOOOL, It's so easy to make a top 5 ranking and these guys messed that up so hard.

Marner
Nylander
Brown
Kapanen
Bracco

3-5 can be switched around, but thats pretty much the consensus top 5

HM: Dermott, Gauthier

DarylO

Jun 16, 2011
Lindsay, ON
I still am interested to see what Brown's ceiling is...he just keeps improving and proving the doubters wrong. His drive is crazy high.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Korostelev was a fantastic pick given we grabbed him in the 7th but there's no way he should be anywhere near the top 5 at this point. I hope he's there by this time next year but lets not pretend he didn't slip for a reason.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Marner
Nylander
Gauthier
Brown
Dermott

Top 5 Leaf prospects

While I do agree he should not be in our top 5 I would think he contends between 6 to 10. He is a steal at where we got him and personally I feel like he can be a good NHLer in the future.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Thanks for the interesting read Steven. It was great hearing some positive things about some of our newer prospects.

I can't help but feel that Connor Brown is being under rated. He lead the Marlies in scoring in his first year on the team after being crowned the OHL player of the year in the previous season. I'm very interested in seeing where he tops out as he just seems to continuously improve. I think he could surprise a lot of people in coming years.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
Too 4 leafs prospects hands down are marner nylander kapanen brown. No way korostelev is near them. Yes he was a steal in the 7th round of the draft but you can only hope he develops how brown has. Doubt he gets to where brown has gotten over the next 3 years. Korostelev probably fits in after 10, can't make a case for him breaking 10 let alone 5. If you think he's a top 5 prospect be prepared to be dissapointed because the likelihood of him being better than brown, johnson or other top prospects are slim. Great potential but you can't just base a ranking of off potential. Brown was a top 10 player and the rookie of the year in the ahl, if korostelev does that I'd be shocked

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Korostelev was a fantastic pick given we grabbed him in the 7th but there's no way he should be anywhere near the top 5 at this point. I hope he's there by this time next year but lets not pretend he didn't slip for a reason.

Yea, maybe after he realizes that there has to be a defensive work ethic added to his game if he wants to make the Leafs. Brown should be in the top 5.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You were doing so well and then you got to #3.

The top 4 are pretty easily

Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Brown

You could make a case for Bracco at 5, Korostelev is not top 5, not even top 10. Might not be top 15. Once he proves himself he'll move up, he has the talent to do so but when you're picked that late you have to prove it. Brown did, and he rose.

JMilne*

There is no way Brown is behind Korostelev. Just no.
This . brown is / was one of the leafs most prospects and he keeps proving everyone wrong he has transitioned his game from playing with boys to playing with men , And he will keep showing up . He will be a top 6er one day

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bracco is going to be a beast when he emerges from the NCAA:

Nylander
Marner
Bracco
Brown
Kapanen

Gauthier/Leipsic/Dermott/Timashov/Dzierkals/Korostelev/Valiev/Percy - outstanding group of prospects ready to jump into the top five.

What an improvement after only ONE Hunter/Dubas draft and one Shanny trade. How good is this gonna look after the 2016 draft?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
People write these types of articles because on the off chance that they are correct a few years down the line, they can point to this prediction and look like geniuses.

If they're wrong, doesn't really matter... they even suggested that he could be pumping gas in a few year from now anyways.

So these guys probably see something in this kid and are going out on a limb on the off chance they're right.

Objectively, he's clearly not one of our 5 best prospects. If these authors had to actually put their own money behind their predictions, I doubt they legitimately rank him this highly.

Anyways... I've obviously never seen this guy play hockey, so what do I know... but it's nice to hear that some people out there think this highly of this kid.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
You were doing so well and then you got to #3.

The top 4 are pretty easily

Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Brown

You could make a case for Bracco at 5, Korostelev is not top 5, not even top 10. Might not be top 15. Once he proves himself he'll move up, he has the talent to do so but when you're picked that late you have to prove it. Brown did, and he rose.

Yes totally the top 4.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander -could graduate cg
Kappy -cg
Percy -cg
Harrington -cg
Brown -1yr
Marner -2-3yr

I go by who is closest to NHL ready.

Last edited:

Ad