Today's Slapshot Jets updated top 5 prospects

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow, that plethora of emotive adjectives pumped me up even further for our draft picks, even more than when I first saw them and exclaimed "Holy schnockers, dude — how did they get all this unbelievable talent without even a top-15 pick?” :laugh:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Haha love the article. It really is evident watching the scrimmage and hearing how the prospects performed at development camp. We have a tremendous amount of skill in the pipeline. The future is so damn bright.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I thought you folks would enjoy my latest column, just up on Today's Slapshot:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-prospects-winnipeg-jets-top-5-for-2015/

Did Winnipeg "win" the 2015 draft? Is Kevin Cheveldayoff the next great NHL GM? I think so, and this column explains why...

Your 1 st statement of fact..... 2.nd sentence in your column is false. You state that 210 players were drafted in the 2015 NHL draft. ( 30 teams x 7 rounds = 210 players) however Chicago gained a bonus 2 nd round pick for not signing Hayes ( former 1 st rounder). Should have stated 211 players were drafted.

I don't mean to nit- pick but when one of your opening statements is incorrect ...... It kind of sets a tone.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I can't remember the last article posted here that I actually read all the way through (no offence garret and Grind, your charts are pretty and I always look at those), but I did read this one. Well written and it's exciting seeing others drinking the Jets kool-aid other than us. A bit surprised with the level of praise for Harkins and Roslovic, but I'm anticipating I'll be proven wrong.

:handclap:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I can't remember the last article posted here that I actually read all the way through (no offence garret and Grind, your charts are pretty and I always look at those), but I did read this one. Well written and it's exciting seeing others drinking the Jets kool-aid other than us. A bit surprised with the level of praise for Harkins and Roslovic, but I'm anticipating I'll be proven wrong.

:handclap:

Not to toot our own horn at TSS too much, but my pre-draft top 30 prospect rankings were more accurate (as to how the first round actually went) then the ISS, CSS, TSN or ESPN. I had Roslovic ranked higher than anyone (#23) and felt that he could have been ranked up to 5-8 slots higher. I had Harkins right behind him at #25, and Foley just missed my top 30.

These were absolutely outstanding picks by the Jets, and getting Kyle Connor at #17 was simply astounding. You folks up in Manitoba have lots to be excited about.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I had to chuckle at the use of 'stand pat' in the article, as that phrase is used as an almost rallying cry amongst his fierciest detractors. That said, the article is so effervescent and glowing with praise that I'm near blushing with embarassment. I hope it goes well for us.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I had to chuckle at the use of 'stand pat' in the article, as that phrase is used as an almost rallying cry amongst his fierciest detractors. That said, the article is so effervescent and glowing with praise that I'm near blushing with embarassment. I hope it goes well for us.

Very well written. Pullitzer/espy quality:handclap:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm not sure what I'm more excited about...
1) the tire pumping of the Jets' prospects
2) how nice it is to read such a well written sports article! :)

They may have even got "then" and "than" right. :laugh:

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
Not to toot our own horn at TSS too much, but my pre-draft top 30 prospect rankings were more accurate (as to how the first round actually went) then the ISS, CSS, TSN or ESPN. I had Roslovic ranked higher than anyone (#23) and felt that he could have been ranked up to 5-8 slots higher. I had Harkins right behind him at #25, and Foley just missed my top 30.

These were absolutely outstanding picks by the Jets, and getting Kyle Connor at #17 was simply astounding. You folks up in Manitoba have lots to be excited about.

:handclap: You sir are a genius! Very well written. Keep up the good work

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
One thing I think is super interesting Ives is that you are probably the first person I've seen that ranks Connor higher than Ehlers. That's not something I had considered...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One thing I think is super interesting Ives is that you are probably the first person I've seen that ranks Connor higher than Ehlers. That's not something I had considered...

It's amazing that they consider Connor to be a perennial all-star and almost a franchise player. I would be very happy if he reaches that.

Keep in mind Connor put up more points in his draft -1 year than Gaudreau did in his draft year in the same league. It would have been really interesting to see what kind of points Connor could have put up in Halifax this past season?

Either way we have a guy with somewhat similar skill set to Ehlers with blinding speed and the ability to make plays at top end. I know he is listed as C/LW but I hope they play him at centre this season at Michigan. Wouldn't it be nice if we just drafted a future high end #1 centre?

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Keep in mind Connor put up more points in his draft -1 year than Gaudreau did in his draft year in the same league. It would have been really interesting to see what kind of points Connor could have put up in Halifax this past season?

Either way we have a guy with somewhat similar skill set to Ehlers with blinding speed and the ability to make plays at top end. I know he is listed as C/LW but I hope they play him at centre in Michigan. Wouldn't it be nice if we just drafted a future high end #1 centre?

I'm with you on him playing center at Michigan. He can always be moved to wing in the NHL, but for him to come into the Jets line-up as a true center sure would be nice.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

Link to your pre-draft rankings?
Also I really enjoyed this article of yours besides the fact that I'm a Jets homer and you were really pumping our tires in this article it was also very well written.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
fantastic article

its a great time to be a jets fan

honestly, after 15 years without NHL hockey, to have such a solid organization running this team and doing things the right way, its beautiful. feels karmic.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Too much hype.
Prospects aren't players.
Soon many prospects I've been assured are"the next all star/franchise player. Only to fizzel and fade.

Talk to me in 5 years

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Too much hype? I'd perhaps agree if it wasn't the blogosphere, traditional media, TV pundits, et al, ALL hyping the prospect pool. I don't think praising the strength and depth of the prospect pool == not acknowledging the risk of failure of individual prospects.

jetkarma*

Too much hype.
Prospects aren't players.
Soon many prospects I've been assured are"the next all star/franchise player. Only to fizzel and fade.

Talk to me in 5 years

We'll catch up then .

Of course no need to wait five years .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad