Today's presser (notes in #7)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Kenny:
-Mentions Glendening in Grand Rapids success like he's our prospect.
-Thinks Howard can be a top6-8 goalie during the course of his contract.
-Helm feeling better, will skate at development camp.
-Wants to keep Kindl, says due for a raise.
-"If you got 10 good prospects, 6 will make it".
-Backman "going to camp"(I suppose development), then back to Sweden for another year before "turning pro".
-Says the veterans on the team are excited about moving to the East, play some new opponents.
-Said multiple times they're disappointed with losing to Chicago even if it was a learning experience.
-Says that both sides probably could've gone longer term with Pavel, but that both were happy with another four years(in total). Hopes for one year extensions afterwards, says Pavel wouldn't ever play anywhere else in the NHL.
-Thinks true cup contenders are a thing of the past.
-Asked if Howard/Mrazek might turn into a Luongo/Schneider, Quick/Bernier etc. scenario. Says they have the option to play him another three years in the American league without worrying about waivers. At 21 years of age, they need him to play 60 games, not 15. Says next year is AHL for sure as Gus is signed, and then make a decision next summer if it's time to bring him up. Says he will play som pre-season games in the fall.
-Would love to get a legitimate top pairing/top3 defenseman, will make room if needed.
-DeKeyser, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Lashoff are expected on the team from the Griffins.

Well, there you go. Much of the same.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
-Backman "going to camp"(I suppose development), then back to Sweden for another year before "turning pro".

should be real camp. he doesn't belong to the kids anymore. he's among the best elitser...ehm...SHL defenders already. real camp would make sense to see where he fits with all NHL and AHL Ds being there and then move back to sweden for the season.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
And Kenny now witnessed Chicago winning the cup who the wings were up 3-1 against... "we were one game away from beating the eventual stanley cup champions, WE LIKE OUR TEAM"

=

No buy-outs, trades or signings this off-season......................

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
And Kenny now witnessed Chicago winning the cup who the wings were up 3-1 against... "we were one game away from beating the eventual stanley cup champions, WE LIKE OUR TEAM"

=

If that comes to pass and true scoring talent isn't added to the team. The Wings will struggle to make the playoffs. If Jimmy isn't elite and Tatar/Nyquist don't combine for 30 goals. They won't make the playoffs.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

=

I dont think thats true. We we're up 3-1 but still out matched in most areas. Kenny is saying the right things, hopefully he follows through. I'm excited for the next week to see what happens.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
should be real camp. he doesn't belong to the kids anymore. he's among the best elitser...ehm...SHL defenders already. real camp would make sense to see where he fits with all NHL and AHL Ds being there and then move back to sweden for the season.

Not sure. They didn't send Jarnkrok to the real camp last year. He was invited to the development camp though but they came to the conclusion it was better for him to hit the gym. Camp starts September 12, the SHL starts September 14.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
If Lashoff played for any other team his name would never be spoken, but with Babs and Holland....smh

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
-Would love to get a legitimate top pairing/top3 defenseman, will make room if needed.
-DeKeyser, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Lashoff are expected on the team from the Griffins.

Well, there you go. Much of the same.

Currently signed:

Kronwall
Ericsson
Coca-Cola
Quincey
Kindl (qualified RFA)
Smith (qualified RFA)
Dekeyser
Lashoff

...and he's looking for a legit top pairing D?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

=

Wouldn't that be a dream off-season for you? that way you can keep beating that drum?

Holland has already said roster space will be made for Tatar and Nyquist, reports have already come out that Tootoo and Cola are being shopped.

The Wings staff declared Sammy healthy the other day, clearing the way for an eventual buyout, reports have also stated that Colaiacovo could also be bought out if they can't trade him at the draft.

I agree that signings are unlikely, but I think that has more to do with the cost of acquiring someone in Free Agency than it does effort on the part of management.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA

=

Do you really believe this?

crashman

Currently signed:

Kronwall
Ericsson
Coca-Cola
Quincey
Kindl (qualified RFA)
Smith (qualified RFA)
Dekeyser
Lashoff

That's why Cola needs to go, or be replaced with a physical, PK defenseman.

I think our chances of bringing in a "top paring" guy are slim because the guys rumored to be available (Yandle, Letang, etc.) will cost quite a bit and wouldn't be worth it. I'd rather see if one of Kindl, DeKeyser, Smith or Quincey could step up and be a top paring guy.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Currently signed:

Kronwall
Ericsson
Coca-Cola
Quincey
Kindl (qualified RFA)
Smith (qualified RFA)
Dekeyser
Lashoff

"Will make room if needed". ;-) But he also said the market is slim. I think Cola is on his way out regardless.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Currently signed:

Kronwall
Ericsson
Coca-Cola
Quincey
Kindl (qualified RFA)
Smith (qualified RFA)
Dekeyser
Lashoff

Yeah, of all the things said there, that surprised me the most. Sure, he'll try to move Cola, but he'll probably need to move another player too if he lands a 'top pair' guy. Who'd that be? Quincey? And, really, what's Q's value?

Seems like it's a lot easier just to focus energy on the forwards, getting a little bigger/tougher up front. The market is flooded with second-tier forwards with little money available to spend on them. There should be some bargains when compared to other off-seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad