Today declared state holiday in Latvia

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
And people call Canada passionate about hockey... The US and Germany also have holidays today
Yes, Memorial Day commemorates the time when the US had some hope of winning a world hockey championship.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Latvian parliament voted to declare today a holiday across the country so that its citizens can celebrate Latvia’s achievement and greet the team as they return home. They should declare tomorrow a holiday, too - there will be hundreds of thousands of severely hung-over citizens struggling through their work day…

It’s news like this which makes me support them - it just means so much more to the country than it does to most others.
Seriously? That's amazing.

And the Canadian players will come home without a 2nd thought.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Seriously? That's amazing.

And the Canadian players will come home without a 2nd thought.
Yeah, but if Canada finishes top 10 in soccer it would be huge.

If Canada somehow won the world cup of soccer that would and should be a holiday, because that isn't likely to happen in the next 100 years.

Reactions: ORRFForever

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you follow international hockey, I think you're pretty aware of them and their wide-traveling and boisterous fan base.

I think what you're saying is that not many North Americans follow international hockey, and you're probably right.
I went to a school that during the weeks rented class rooms from the Toronto Latvian Center (I assume during the weekends it was used to Latvian classes and such). They always had stuff related to Latvians who have prominently succeeded like Sandis Ozolins. Those baltic states tend to be extremely patriotic and protective of their culture.

Reactions: NyQuil

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, but if Canada finishes top 10 in soccer it would be huge.

If Canada somehow won the world cup of soccer that would and should be a holiday, because that isn't likely to happen in the next 100 years.
If Canada won gold at Basketball in the Olympics which while unlikely, but significantly more likely than winning the world cup (assuming our best players show up for Basketball), it would be a massive national event. Hell, it was a pretty damn big deal we even qualified for the World Cup in Soccer.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Congrats to anyone from Latvia.

I went to a school that during the weeks rented class rooms from the Toronto Latvian Center (I assume during the weekends it was used to Latvian classes and such). They always had stuff related to Latvians who have prominently succeeded like Sandis Ozolins. Those baltic states tend to be extremely patriotic and protective of their culture.
Candiabs eant there is. League.. I’d say that’s pretty patriotic.. or entitled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad