Confirmed with Link: Tod Leiweke resigns to become NFL's COO | Steve Griggs named new Lightning CEO

Riverbolt

Mar 7, 2009
Florida
Last edited by a moderator:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
From the outside it seemed like this was coming. All throughout the playoffs everytime I saw an interview with someone high up it was either Griggs or Vinik.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
well, that sucks.

The day after Lou gets hired by the Leafs, I'm sort of hard pressed to be surprised by anything. Leiweke was important, but Vinik's team is strong enough to be able to compensate. I don't have concerns about the hockey side nor Vinik's development at this stage.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
From the NFL (Seahawks) to the Lightning back to the NFL. All the best to him.

Here's the team release: http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=713276

Tampa Bay Lightning Chief Executive Officer Tod Leiweke resigned today to become Chief Operating Officer of the National Football League, Lightning Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik announced this morning.

Vinik also announced that, effective immediately, Lightning President Steve Griggs has been named the organization’s Chief Executive Officer, reporting directly to Vinik.

Vice President and General Manager Steve Yzerman will continue to report to Vinik on all hockey operations matters.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
not surprising hes a burning light in sports and this is a huge move up imho i thought toronto sooner or later somehow with brother or they would do seattle type thing own all teams soccer hockey basketball baseball etc..

so thank you tod you were wonderful and steve griggs is a good man and gl to both of you

no concerns on tampa or on hockey team moving forward hard to not like this deal for tod to me is a nice jump up

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
not surprising hes a burning light in sports and this is a huge move up imho i thought toronto sooner or later somehow with brother or they would do seattle type thing own all teams soccer hockey basketball baseball etc..

so thank you tod you were wonderful and steve griggs is a good man and gl to both of you

no concerns on tampa or on hockey team moving forward hard to not like this deal for tod to me is a nice jump up
Ya he will make more money in the nfl then I think in time does something with his brother. I'm still a little surprised I thought he was very involved with viniks downtown project. Not really concerned with the lightning I think Griggs and yzerman run the lightning anyway. I think tod and vinik were doing the downtown thing much more then the lightning.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Ya he will make more money in the nfl then I think in time does something with his brother. I'm still a little surprised I thought he was very involved with viniks downtown project. Not really concerned with the lightning I think Griggs and yzerman run the lightning anyway. I think tod and vinik were doing the downtown thing much more then the lightning.

If you get asked to become the Chief Operations Officer of the biggest sports league in America, when your current position is CEO of a somewhat "fringe" team in one of the smallest leagues in America, you take it every time.

Unless you really love hockey. And hate football. I'd have probably stuck with the Lightning ;)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gotta wonder what that gig pays. To be COO of the NFL.... damn it man that's just "wow." It's a credit to the vision Mr. Vinik has. He hired the eventual COO of the NFL when he first got started here.

Good luck Tod.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A bittersweet transition for new Tampa Bay Lightning CEO Steve Griggs

As CEO, Griggs said he will put additional emphasis on youth programs and community outreach — to build a steady fan base, he needs to create a tradition of hockey in a nontraditional market.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/print-edition/2015/07/31/a-bittersweet-transition-for-new-lightning-ceo.html?ana=sm_tbay_ucp91&b=1438290807^17809512

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If you get asked to become the Chief Operations Officer of the biggest sports league in America, when your current position is CEO of a somewhat "fringe" team in one of the smallest leagues in America, you take it every time.

Unless you really love hockey. And hate football. I'd have probably stuck with the Lightning ;)

Tod did have ownership stake with the lightning also

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Nope heard after he quit he had to give the shares back. Might have had to in order to work for the nfl.

Most likely. Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive you can't hold ownership in other teams if you're an NFL owner.

Remember reading that when I was at the Dallas stadium (could be completely wrong though).

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Most likely. Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive you can't hold ownership in other teams if you're an NFL owner.

Remember reading that when I was at the Dallas stadium (could be completely wrong though).

Not true. Kroenke owns the Rams and the Colorado Rapids, Colorado Avalanche, and the Denver Nuggets. The late Lamar Hunt owned the Chiefs and multiple MLS teams. Probably plenty of other examples. The Glazers own Manchester United of course, though that's a foreign team.

Might be different for direct employees of the league.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

You can, provided they're not a team in a city with an NFL team different than your own.

For instance, Kroenke owns a portion of Arsenal as well as owning the Rams; if a team does move to London he will have to sell his shares of the team(or do what he has done before and move the ownership "title" to his son who "owns" the Nuggets and the Rapids)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00