Tocchet?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Question to see what people think.

Coyotes look terrible (again). I wonder if they consider firing him and pursing a more established coach.

If so, does anyone think the Penguins should bring him back? He seemed to be liked by the players and might help shake up the coaching staff a bit without moving on from Sullivan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Coyotes look terrible (again). I wonder if they consider firing him and pursing a more established coach.

If so, does anyone think the Penguins should bring him back? He seemed to be liked by the players and might help shake up the coaching staff a bit without moving on from Sullivan.

Tocchet is whatever.

He is not the difference.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Trade Sully for Tocchet. This would be the second time in my life that we traded for Tocchet that I would be head over hills about. And both times, Recchi leaves as well.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Tocchet is whatever.

He is not the difference.

I know he is not the difference, I am not saying he will make a huge change but I think a series of changes may be helpful. I do not think there is one move that can fix things.

And anyways I was just curious if people would want him back.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Now we're at the point where people just want change for change's sake. If the Coyotes were looking to go for a "more established coach", why would the Penguins want to bring him in? From what I've read, he's not doing a good job in Arizona.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Now we're at the point where people just want change for change's sake. If the Coyotes were looking to go for a "more established coach", why would the Penguins want to bring him in? From what I've read, he's not doing a good job in Arizona.

I mean back as an assistant. I definitely don't want him as a head coach. No way not at all

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why would Tocchet want to be an assistant over being a head coach?

It’s fantasyland. I’m embarrassed.
He won’t necessarily want to be an assistant coach, but no team is going to line up to hire him as a head coach once coyotes fire him.

The original poster simply asked a question...if the coyotes fire him, would you want the Penguins to bring him back?

The answer for me is yes if that means Recchi is gone.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
He won’t necessarily want to be an assistant coach, but no team is going to line up to hire him as a head coach once coyotes fire him.

The original poster simply asked a question...if the coyotes fire him, would you want the Penguins to bring him back?

The answer for me is yes if that means Recchi is gone.

Why are the Coyotes going to fire Tocchet?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why would Tocchet want to be an assistant over being a head coach?

It’s fantasyland. I’m embarrassed.

You know Tocchet was the Lighting Head Coach before he was a Pens assistant?

And ya it was hypothetical because the coyotes aren't very good and I honestly do not think Tocchet is a great head coach. If he gets fired I doubt he will get picked up.

I thought he was a good assistant when he was here, though thats all. Just wondering.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Go look at Arizona’s young players. They’re getting iced equal to ours when you compare who they’re getting played behind.

I don't think flexibility is just about young players getting more ice time. Also flexibility with lines in game and adapting.

But anyways coyotes seem to run pretty balanced ice time. Their lowest two avg ice time for guys with at least 10 games is 13 min and 12min.

The penguins have one forward under 12min and one forward under 9min. So no they are not getting equal ice time to ours.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
What makes Recchi a bad assistant coach?

What makes Tocchet a bad head coach but a good assistant coach?

I’m trying to figure out this master plan where people are getting fired all over the place.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I’m trying to figure out this master plan where people are getting fired all over the place.

I think you are reading into this too much. I was just curious if people would want Tocchet back as an assistant coach. I liked him with the team and think he was a good fit. I just like the way he conducted himself better than Recchi behind the bench. I am not say bringing him back is part of any master plan.

And also Tocchets coaching record makes him a bad head coach.
Gp W L OTL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Trade Sully for Tocchet. This would be the second time in my life that we traded for Tocchet that I would be head over hills about. And both times, Recchi leaves as well.

Your boy Tocchet just did to Strome (3OA pick, 20 year old PPG AHL pace as a C) the same thing you’re whining Sully did to Sprong. They then traded him. Stop acting like Sullivan isnt the much better coach with 2 Cups and has some agenda to ruin Sprong and the young talent. Every coach in the league does it.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
People act like they know what assistant coaches do but they have no real clue. I mean we know Recchi is in charge of the power play. It’s good. I’d guess it’s better than it was here with Tocchet.

Also I take nothing away from Tocchet head coaching record. He was a lame duck coach in Tampa and AZ has a flawed lineup.

If anything we see he couldn’t get top notch young talent to produce (Domi and strome).

Reactions: Shady Machine

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
People act like they know what assistant coaches do but they have no real clue. I mean we know Recchi is in charge of the power play. It’s good. I’d guess it’s better than it was here with Tocchet.

Also I take nothing away from Tocchet head coaching record. He was a lame duck coach in Tampa and AZ has a flawed lineup.

If anything we see he couldn’t get top notch young talent to produce (Domi and strome).

He wasn't a lame duck coach in tampa. He was given a two year contract and missed the playoffs with a 94 point stamkos 90 point st louis and 70 point lecavilier. He was fired only because he didn't deliver.

And this isn't about young talent or sprong like someone brought up. Also I am not acting like I know anything about assistant coaches. It was just about bringing a guy back who seemed to do well in his time here. I liked Tocchet when he was here and was curious if other people did too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

This team likes to bring back the old boys in their epic old boys club mentality. The only issue is that Recchi is also in that old boys club so it's a matter of which old boy do they move for another old boy that they want to bring back to the idiotic old boys club that we have here.

old boys club.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Honestly, Recchi is a punk *** bitch who was a f***ing weasel as a player and I don't trust him not to backstab the second it's safe for his fake toughguy acting *** to do so.

I have none of the above feelings about Tocchet.

That's why he would be better than Recchi. In my opinion. In any capacity.

If you need someone to explain the scope of responsibility differences, and how someone may handle one level better than another level, between head coaching and assistant coaching, I can't help you.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean we know Recchi is in charge of the power play. It’s good.

I thought that Sullivan was in charge of the power play? And also that his main contribution to running it is more or less saying "You're the most talented PP unit in the league, you know what to do, I'm not going to complicate things" and occasionally "I'm splitting things up/swapping power plays until you guys stop doing meth before PPs".

Which does indeed just go to show how we've got no idea what the assistant coaches do. One of us is wrong and I'm not sure which.

But... that said... it wouldn't surprise me if Tocchet was indeed the superior assistant coach for this team. Gut instinct.

Tocchet may well have been a better assistant coach than Recchi but the Pens aren't struggling due to inadequate assistant coaching.

Maaaaaybe... depends on whether you buy there's differences in the coach-player chemistry without him, whether he was a vital part in making the mood. Because if you do, then that connects pretty clearly to our struggles imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad