News Article: Toby Enström will not play in the olympics

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
wait...so what's the most popular sport in Sweden?

Football is by far the biggest sport in Sweden. Hockey is more popular in some areas in the north, but that's it. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (one of the best football players in the world) gets more attention than all of hockey combined in Sweden. :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
And in other Olympic news, Chris Thorburn says he will not play for the Canadian Mens Olympic Hockey Team at the Sochi Olympics.;)

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Speaking of other Jets, interesting that all of Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Bogosian, Byfuglien, Trouba, Enstrom, Jokinen and Pavelec are at least in the discussion about representing their countries at the olympics.

Kind of impressive for a rag tag collection of players that are highly overrated by Jet's fans :sarcasm:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Huh. Interesting. Maybe he's so upset that he'll get put on waivers and bought out because he sucks as a player that he didn't want to show his face outside, even in 3 months.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What really disappoints me is the cynicism by some who can't even just allow themselves for a second to believe that Toby is a man with morals and principle who appreciates the NHL, Winnipeg, and the Jets for giving he and his family the opportunity to make a good living and a nice place to raise his family and he wants to repay that by committing himself to the team.

It's more sad for you really. I'd rather think the positive and be happy about it then think the worst about everybody and everything.

Again, thank you Toby for being such a classy professional.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Here was Toby's competition for the Swedish team on D:

Jonas Brodin, Minnesota
Alexander Edler, Vancouver
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phoenix
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit,
Nicklas Grossman, Philadelphia
Erik Gustafsson, Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman, Tampa Bay
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Douglas Murray, Pittsburgh
Johnny Oduya, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Here was Toby's competition for the Swedish team on D:

Jonas Brodin, Minnesota
Alexander Edler, Vancouver
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phoenix
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit,
Nicklas Grossman, Philadelphia
Erik Gustafsson, Philadelphia
Viktor Hedman, Tampa Bay
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Douglas Murray, Pittsburgh
Johnny Oduya, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey

There are some obvious better D-men (one ex: Karlsson), but there are a lot of obviously worse D-men too on that list.

They wouldn't have invited him if they didn't think he had a chance of making it. This is double true for a late addition.

Many (far from all) on the Sweden Hockey board thought Enstrom was going to.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm likely alone in this, but I'm very disappointed. It's quite cowardly to abandon the country that raised you.

It's... cowardly?

This isn't the millitary ffs. This isn't a war. It's the GD Olympics. Some may call it lack of respect for your country, but cowardly?

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope it's a case of him not wanting to go more than making some sacrifice for the team. He doesn't owe cheating himself of experiences to the team or city.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Sweden probably didn't even ask him to play, why would you focus on the Jets? This team isn't making the playoffs this year.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Sweden probably didn't even ask him to play, why would you focus on the Jets? This team isn't making the playoffs this year.

Well it's going to be very hard. So why bother, amirite guys?! :sarcasm:

I did a fly-by on the main board and called Sweden a 'non-medalling team'. :naughty: Of course it was a joke, but it seemed to ruffle some feathers.

Anyways, it doesn't matter if your team is winning or losing, it shows some character to stick by them. If Enstrom's reasons were true, and not just a convenient excuse, good for him. And I don't find it all that far-fetched to think that he might actually like this team and organization (that is paying him quite well btw).

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Less players that go the better from the Jets AFAIC.
Two players I really don't want going are Buff and Pavs.
Though it may help Canada's chances if they do go :sarcasm:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I really hope Toby plays playoff hockey for the Jets. When he resigned he said that's what he wanted the most, and believed in the direction of TNSE. I truly hope he's rewarded.

But play for your country, man. On the big ice. You'll come back better for the experience. But its his choice or decision. Glad he likes the Peg. Many of us like him just as much back.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I've read numerous comments to the effect that Toby and the Swedish National coach (Marts) have always had a fairly bad relationship, which would partially explain his multiple national team snubs. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

edit: I didn't realize Enstrom called up Marts, I assumed they finally wised up and sent him an invite. Weird situation all around then. Was Enstrom just having a boring Tuesday?

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Is it possible that maybe Corky.....er......I mean Toby doesn't want to risk injury so that he can be ready if the Jets are making a playoff push?

His shoulder may still not be 100% as he continues to get beaten up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad